Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:50 am

Day 14, 17:30 - Gnoll FortYou finished your transactions with the merchants in Callenburg after seeing Gothrom, Rahn, and Ashleigh off on their journey the morning after your arrival. After spending the rest of that day in mundane tasks, you were finally prepared for an early start on the next morning. The four of you had a few new mounts and Phaeral planned on traveling on foot.

On schedule you set out the following morning and made your back to Thornbury making decent time, better than when you were going at the wagons. However, not being able to ride more than nine hours cut down some on the actual distance you could cover. Still you managed to reach Thornbury by late morning on the fourth day from Callenburg.

You paid a visit to Captain Destrani and he explained that everything had been quiet and uneventful since your last visit. They had checked everyone and spread the word about the parasites. Most people did not believe the tale, but they still submitted to having their necks checked. There were no infected people in the village. After lunch, you departed and continued on your way.

At the end of the afternoon you made your way through the forest and arrived at the clearing that contained the wooden palisade of the gnoll's fort. From the edge of the clearing, you looked across the distance and the spiked log barricade was as you left it. There was no smoke rising from the fort to depict the presence of a campfire. There was no sign of a gnoll sentry either. Near as you could tell, the fort was not reoccupied in your absence.


Combat Information | Show
Current Party Conditions:
Code: Select all
Phaeral:    42/42 HP remaining
Nikhil:     38/38 HP remaining; Mounted
  Horse:    19/19 HP remaining; (AC16)
Kaedyn:     42/42 HP remaining; Mounted
  Horse:    19/19 HP remaining; (AC13)
Coraline:   50/50 HP remaining; Mounted
  Terra:    56/56 HP remaining;
Mundo:      13/13 HP remaining (Guarding ??)
Conditions in Effect:

Nikhil Spells Remaining: SLA (4/4); Cantrips (5/5); 1st Level (5/5)
Kaedyn Spells Remaining:  1st Level (5/5); 2nd Level (4/4); 3rd Level (3/3)
Wand of CLW (Kaedyn): 20 Charges remaining
Kaedyn Destroy Undead: 3/3 remaining
Coraline Lay on Hands: 15/15 remaing
Coraline Spells Remaining: 1st Level (1/1)
Coraline Turn Undead: 6/6 remaining
Coraline Smite Evil: 2/2 remaining
Wand of CLW (Coraline): 50 Charges remaining
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12342
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:47 am

When Coraline had met up with the group the next morning and bid farewell to the three that were about to depart, a mixture of emotions had been evident with her. She seemed somewhat cheerful, yet a grimness tainted her smile. Some of this seemed to vanish when she summoned Terra, and she remained polite throughout the day. The distance increasing between them and Callenburg got her to talk a bit more and relax a bit further.

The news of the parasites not being present seemed to lift her spirits more. Coraline still only knew a little about them, but what she had heard was vile, and she was glad that nobody else was affected. Getting to the fortress quickly took priority, so she did not ask about much else from Captain Destrani. When everyone else was ready to go, she mounted Terra and went with them.

Now at the fortress, Coraline eyes it with a wary gaze. "Here we are. What exactly do we need to do first?" They have discussed the fortress, but she is not fully certain of how they are going to proceed. Terra nickers at the sight of it and paws the ground, sensing her rider's tension.

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.

Current AC: 20 (11Touch/20 Flatfoot)
Current HP: 50/50
Current Weapon In Hand: +1 Lance.
Conditions: Immune Disease, +4 Fear Saves (10ft Radius)
Lay on Hands: 0/15 used.
Smite Evil: 0/2 used.
Turn Undead: 0/6 used.
Spells, Level 1: Lesser Restoration

Current AC, Terra: 22 (10 Touch/21 Flatfoot)
Current HP, Terra: 56/56
Current Weapon In Hand, Terra: 2 x Hooves & Bite
Conditions, Terra: Improved Evasion, Endurance, Speed 50ft
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am

“Well, we need to decide our strategy,” Phaeral said.

He looked at Lady Solberg. He could not recall how much they had explained about what had happened the first time they were here.

“We came back because someone is supposed to show up here to resupply the camp. Our thought was to ambush that person and interrogate them, so we can learn more about the parasites and this ‘Master’ of theirs.”

He walked up toward the spiked gate as he spoke, then paused, looking down for fresh tracks.

“We need to post our own ‘sentries’ to allay suspicion and get the supplier to come close, so we won’t have to chase him through the forest. It’s too bad we can’t work some illusion magic or something. If we had been thinking ahead, we could have kept a few sets of armor and propped them up on tree branches.”

spoiler: show
Survival to see if there are any fresh tracks - 1d20+10=19

Move Action: None.
Standard Action None.

Free Action: None.

Current AC: 18 (17+1 skirmish AC) (15 Flat-footed / 14 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Compound Longbow.
Conditions in effect: None.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

NIkhil sat on top of his new horse and looked at the gnoll fort. Like Phareal had said, it was as they left it. The barricade remained in place and undisturbed.

The duskblade nudged his horse close, while he thought.

"How many days you reckon we have before the supplier shows up?"

Nikhil hoped that the man hadn't been early. THe scout probably would have seen tracks, so it was unlikely. Nikhil dismounted and took the reins of his horse as he lead it up to the barricade. They would need to move it aside to get the horses in.

"Well, should we picket the horses inside the stable? We can get a cooking fire going, so at least from a distance, the place looks occupied. Though I don't relish fishing any of the bodies of the dead gnolls out of the pit to use as fake sentries. What do you think?"

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 18
Current HP: 38/38
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain
Conditions in Effect:
Spells:
0-Level Remaining: 5/5
0-level spells known: Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue
1st-Level Remaining: 5/5
1st-level spells known: Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, Color Spray, Swift Expeditious Retreat
Spell Like Abilities: 4/4 – Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Flare, ghost sound, read magic
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 am

Kaedyn had to agree with Nik, “After a week, the corpses are going to disgusting and decayed. I think we can forget about that idea, the corpses will be bloated and unusable for that idea.”

The battle cleric thought about the other question and remembered what the moon had been the night before. He speculated, “Based on what Hrandeth told us he heard, we are right on schedule and the man was due to return tomorrow night or the next during the full moon.”

“So we have a day to prepare, maybe two. All we need to do is set up an ambush. It doesn’t have to be in the fort, though.”

“However, what do you think about just making the fort appear deserted and abandoned. At night it would be all dark. I think the supplier will still probably investigate and enter the fort, don’t you Phaeral?”

“Sure having some pretend gnoll sentries would be useful to lure them into false sense of normalcy, but we do not have the ability do we?”
The battle cleric from atop his horse looking down at the scout.


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
Condition in effect: none

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Wand of CLW: 22 Charges Remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=19, 6d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 3/4+D (Bless, Bane, Doom, Divine Favor, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon (D))
3rd level 2/2+D (Magic Vestment, Magic Circle vs. Evil, Searing Light (D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP/9HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:34 am

Phaeral looked up.

“That’s true enough,” he said to Kaedyn. “I was just thinking aloud. If I had come here to resupply the fort and saw no sentries, my first thought would not be that everyone was dead. I would be more likely to think they had decided to relocate in my absence. I would feel compelled to check it out.”

He stood up.

“Well, let’s get the horses inside. Then we can sketch out a map of the premises and start to talk about where we’ll position ourselves for the ambush.”

spoiler: show
Survival to see if there are any fresh tracks - 1d20+10=19

Move Action: None.
Standard Action None.

Free Action: None.

Current AC: 18 (17+1 skirmish AC) (15 Flat-footed / 14 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Compound Longbow.
Conditions in effect: None.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 am

Listening to her companions intently, Coraline does nothing to interrupt them. She waits until Phaeral has agreed with Kaedyn before speaking up. "That seems like the best way to proceed. I assume the supplier will be wary to enter, but will probably do so anyway. Let us hope as much." She strokes Terra's head, and the horse nudges her hand in response.

"You know the layout better than I do. I will follow your lead," Coraline says to all of them. She nudges Terra gently as her companions prepare to head in and start getting everything ready. Her mount proceeds after them at a slow, steady pace, as directed by her rider.

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.

Current AC: 20 (11Touch/20 Flatfoot)
Current HP: 50/50
Current Weapon In Hand: +1 Lance.
Conditions: Immune Disease, +4 Fear Saves (10ft Radius)
Lay on Hands: 0/15 used.
Smite Evil: 0/2 used.
Turn Undead: 0/6 used.
Spells, Level 1: Lesser Restoration

Current AC, Terra: 22 (10 Touch/21 Flatfoot)
Current HP, Terra: 56/56
Current Weapon In Hand, Terra: 2 x Hooves & Bite
Conditions, Terra: Improved Evasion, Endurance, Speed 50ft
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:57 am

Day 14, 17:32 - Gnoll FortPhaeral did not find any fresh tracks of humanoids or horses around the open ground leading to the gate. However, her recalled that you had trouble finding tracks from the gnolls before you assaulted their fort. But that was probably the skills and magic of the druid that helped them.

There was not too much to the layout of the gnoll’s fort with only three buildings and an outhouse. There was two entrances, the main one you rode through and the small side gate.

The waste pit still had a cloud of flies and a horrible stench of decaying and decomposing bodies coming from it.

The doors to the barracks, the stable and the cells were ajar as you left them.


Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Current Party Conditions:
Code: Select all
Phaeral:    42/42 HP remaining
Nikhil:     38/38 HP remaining; Mounted
  Horse:    19/19 HP remaining; (AC16)
Kaedyn:     42/42 HP remaining; Mounted
  Horse:    19/19 HP remaining; (AC13)
Coraline:   50/50 HP remaining; Mounted
  Terra:    56/56 HP remaining;
Mundo:      13/13 HP remaining (Guarding ??)
Conditions in Effect:

Nikhil Spells Remaining: SLA (4/4); Cantrips (5/5); 1st Level (5/5)
Kaedyn Spells Remaining:  1st Level (5/5); 2nd Level (4/4); 3rd Level (3/3)
Wand of CLW (Kaedyn): 20 Charges remaining
Kaedyn Destroy Undead: 3/3 remaining
Coraline Lay on Hands: 15/15 remaing
Coraline Spells Remaining: 1st Level (1/1)
Coraline Turn Undead: 6/6 remaining
Coraline Smite Evil: 2/2 remaining
Wand of CLW (Coraline): 50 Charges remaining
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12342
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 am

Phaeral wrinkled his nose.

“Maybe we should start up that fire pit again. It might not necessarily be a deterrent to the person checking it out. The smell of smoke might be more reassuring than that…stench.”

He took hold of Nik’s horse’s bridle to guide it past the stinking pit, just in case it spooked. He thought Lady Solberg’s mount had already been well-trained and didn’t need the extra attention.

At his side, Mundo trotted along.

He led them toward the stables.

spoiler: show
Survival to see if there are any fresh tracks - 1d20+10=19

Move Action: None.
Standard Action None.

Free Action: None.

Current AC: 18 (17+1 skirmish AC) (15 Flat-footed / 14 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Compound Longbow.
Conditions in effect: None.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Nikhil let Phaeral take the reins of his horse and led the animal into the stable. The duskblade took a few steps towards the pit. Then the smell hit him, and he staggered back.

"Whew! Aye, I think a fire is definitly a good idea."

The half-dragon fighter looked around for a firepit and wood. He then remembered the pit in the barracks building. He moved inside the building to check it out. Not seeing an immediate pile of wood, then duskblade reappeared outside.

"I'll get that fire started." he said to others.

Nikhil thought to move and use the side entrance to the fort, but then stopped himself. He didn't not want to create any more unnecessary tracks that they would have to cover up. He turned and walked out the front gate to collect some wood for the fire.

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 18
Current HP: 38/38
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain
Conditions in Effect:
Spells:
0-Level Remaining: 5/5
0-level spells known: Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue
1st-Level Remaining: 5/5
1st-level spells known: Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, Color Spray, Swift Expeditious Retreat
Spell Like Abilities: 4/4 – Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Flare, ghost sound, read magic
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:31 am

Kaedyn dismounted in the fort and led his own horse to the stable.

"I bet we can use some of the straw from in here for tinder. But we will need a seriously hot burning fire to burn the corpses. Mayhap the barracks has some items we can burn so we don’t need to go hunting for dead falls. Unless you want to sleep in the beds they had, those can probably burn."

He helped Nikhil with building a fire.


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
Condition in effect: none

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Wand of CLW: 22 Charges Remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=19, 6d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 3/4+D (Bless, Bane, Doom, Divine Favor, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon (D))
3rd level 2/2+D (Magic Vestment, Magic Circle vs. Evil, Searing Light (D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP/9HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:34 am

Day 14, 17:36 - Gnoll FortWith the old bedding and the ratty leftover belongings the dead gnolls had, starting a fire was not very hard and it burned hot enough to get the corpses disposed of.

The stench of decay was soon supplemented with the stench of burnt hair. The smoke rising from the pit would be like a beacon in the distance, but the fort was located in the middle of dense forest so it was unlikely anyone would see.


Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Current Party Conditions:
Code: Select all
Phaeral:    42/42 HP remaining
Nikhil:     38/38 HP remaining;
  Horse:    19/19 HP remaining; (AC16)
Kaedyn:     42/42 HP remaining;
  Horse:    19/19 HP remaining; (AC13)
Coraline:   50/50 HP remaining; Mounted
  Terra:    56/56 HP remaining;
Mundo:      13/13 HP remaining (Guarding ??)
Conditions in Effect:

Nikhil Spells Remaining: SLA (4/4); Cantrips (5/5); 1st Level (5/5)
Kaedyn Spells Remaining:  1st Level (5/5); 2nd Level (4/4); 3rd Level (3/3)
Wand of CLW (Kaedyn): 20 Charges remaining
Kaedyn Destroy Undead: 3/3 remaining
Coraline Lay on Hands: 15/15 remaing
Coraline Spells Remaining: 1st Level (1/1)
Coraline Turn Undead: 6/6 remaining
Coraline Smite Evil: 2/2 remaining
Wand of CLW (Coraline): 50 Charges remaining
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12342
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Celtic Guardian 7 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Coraline grimaces at the stench that greets them. "Please do so," she says to Nikhil and Kaedyn. "We will not last long if we have to keep breathing this air." Though Terra is not spooked, just as Phaeral guessed, she is clearly not happy with the smell either. She trots after Phaeral, as if hoping to outrun it.

While Phaeral is stabling the other horses and Nikhil and Kaedyn make the fire, Coraline keeps a lookout for anyone that might be approaching. She doubts much will come of it in the daylight, but still is at the ready. "Though there is not much room to maneuver about, I will keep Terra with me," she directs to Phaeral, more for the sake of clarification than assuming he will try to lead her in there. She rubs Terra's head while saying, "Is there anything I can do to be helping?"

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.

Current AC: 20 (11Touch/20 Flatfoot)
Current HP: 50/50
Current Weapon In Hand: +1 Lance.
Conditions: Immune Disease, +4 Fear Saves (10ft Radius)
Lay on Hands: 0/15 used.
Smite Evil: 0/2 used.
Turn Undead: 0/6 used.
Spells, Level 1: Lesser Restoration

Current AC, Terra: 22 (10 Touch/21 Flatfoot)
Current HP, Terra: 56/56
Current Weapon In Hand, Terra: 2 x Hooves & Bite
Conditions, Terra: Improved Evasion, Endurance, Speed 50ft
Celtic Guardian 7
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Nikhil stood at the outside pit along side Kaedyn, and watched the fire consume the corpses. He had acquired a sturdy stick to use for stocking the fire and ensuring the corpses burned fully. The duskblade made sure to keep himself out of the smoke as the wind blew it around. The burning stench could make one gag if they ended up with a breath full.

The dark haired looked back at Lady Corlina as she remained by her horse. Nikhil shrugged his shoulders at the paladin's question.

"I guess we should secure the doors and such to all the buildings. Make it appear nothing is amiss, except that the place is abandoned or the occupants out on a raid or something."

"Do we want to set any traps inside the fort?"


spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 18
Current HP: 38/38
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain
Conditions in Effect:
Spells:
0-Level Remaining: 5/5
0-level spells known: Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue
1st-Level Remaining: 5/5
1st-level spells known: Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, Color Spray, Swift Expeditious Retreat
Spell Like Abilities: 4/4 – Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Flare, ghost sound, read magic
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Return to the Gnoll Fort [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:17 am

Kaedyn looked grim after the unpleasant task. He kept breathing from his mouth to be able to tolerate the stench, but still it threatened to be overwhelming.

With that body disposal pretty much done, he was curious what they were going to do next as well.

“Well, we are likely a day early, but that is no guarantee. If the resupply man comes tonight, we shall need to be rested enough to deal with him. We have little time to make elaborate preparations before evening comes tonight.”

“Perhaps we should decide what to do for tonight, and then look at more elaborate preparations tomorrow during the day time when we can actually construct them."


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
Condition in effect: none

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Wand of CLW: 22 Charges Remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=19, 6d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 3/4+D (Bless, Bane, Doom, Divine Favor, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon (D))
3rd level 2/2+D (Magic Vestment, Magic Circle vs. Evil, Searing Light (D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP/9HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Next

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron