Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:46 am

It is still about 10-15 minutes before dawn really arrives, the village is shrouded in morning mist. Even with normal eye sight, the buildings are becoming visible and the pitch black of night is receding. It is too early to tell what the day's weather might be, but the there is little wind.

The still sleeping village is just starting to awake and as you prepare your mounts, you can hear the jangle of tack. It sound like there are a few horses approaching the front of the inn.

You are all in the stable and Phaeral's hound's ears prick up at the noise.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 am

“You guys hear that?”

Phaeral raised his head and went still, almost a mirrored image of the large hound at his side. He listened carefully for several seconds then shook his head and glanced at the others.

“I hear horses. Kind of early for someone to be coming to the village unless they were traveling all night, don’t you think? Let me see what’s going on.”

Phaeral led his palomino mare out of the stable. He had dressed warmly for the occasion, with a leather coat and thick scarf wrapped around his neck, fingerless gloves on his hands. Mundo trotted forward at his side. Phaeral looked around to try to see the source of the noise.

“Hello?” he called out.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Gothrom continues the chore of readying his horse, with a less than masterful grasp of the routine. He looks to Phaeral as he speaks, and shrugs his shoulders noncommittally.

"Different shifts for those tree choppers, but I don't know how many have a horse."

It took him longer than the scout to finish the task, though that didn't sour his mood.

If it's trouble, I'm sure they'll come to me first. I'm the best warrior in town, afterall.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 am

Kaedyn does his best to make friends with his mount, the brown and black riding horse, but she flicks her ears with indifference. He completes the tasks of strapping on the harness and saddle.

The cleric leads his horse out into the misting morning and comments, "Aye. I hear it as well. The Captain did mention a mounted patrol today, but we did not hear if the Foreman agreed."

He peers into the early morning dimness and holds his longspear, point up in the sky, ready in case the approaching noise is something threatening.

spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 4/4+D (Bless, Bane, Doom, Divine Favor, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon (D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 am

Nikhil leads his mount outside as well, bringing up the rear in silence.

A few moments more, you see three riders emerge from the mist and stop in front of the inn. Even in the dim light it appears to be a trio of the Captain's men, mounted on riding horses. They are wearing their official jerkins over their studded leather armor and carrying spears. They each have a crossbow hanging off their kit as well. Judging by the looks of them, they appear to be typical militia guardsmen.

The one in the middle, looking to be a few years older than the other two, speaks up.

"Good morning. The Captain was not sure if you would actually conduct the search or not and sent us to check. Regardless, we are being sent out as well."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:17 pm

“Oh, good morning.”

Phaeral smiled and nodded in a friendly manner.

“It’s good to see you all. I am Phaeral, and these are my companions, Gothrom, Kaedyn, and Nikhil. We are heading out to look for the survivors, yes.”

He gestured to each one of his friends in turn, then paused and looked between the three men.

“Shall we travel together, then? There is safety in numbers, after all.”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Gothrom headed out of the stables with his horse as Phaeral introduced them. He sized up the three mounted humans the scout was speaking too, nodding to acknowledge them.

They don't look like much.
They'd do well to come with us, than to stumble into some devils on their own.
Best not slow us down, though.


The dwarf mounted up and situated himself on his horse with an air of eagerness, and turned his head to look towards the road.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Kaedyn nods greeting to the men and climbs up to mount the brown and black riding horse. He settles in with a clank and scrap of his heavy metal armor.

The cleric frowns in thought, "Hmmm, I am not so sure. If things are deadly dangerous out there, just riding in our wake could get some people killed. Riding out separately might be worse though."

He glances at his companions, seeing the confidence and that is easily evident by how they all carry themselves. They are experienced and they are properly equipped as well. These militia are armed like ogre fodder to him and he is concerned.

"Lads, just what are your orders exactly?"

spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 4/4+D (Bless, Bane, Doom, Divine Favor, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon (D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:50 am

The guardsman looks left and then right at his companions. Then he looks back to Phaeral and Kaedyn, replying, "Not heading out on a separate patrol when we don't have to is fine with us. The Captain did not order us to not accompany you, just made sure that we would head out as he promised the Foreman."

"I am Bob Jenkins, this is Darryl and his brother Daryl."

"If it is all the same to you, we will bring up the rear. If we actually do run across gnolls, we will help as best as we can before we all retreat."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am

“Bob, Darryl, and…Daryl.”

Phaeral looked between the three men, dubiously. His eyes flicked back to Bob.

“Was that your brother Leroy that I met in the tavern last night? In any case, that plan sounds good to me. Stay back and if something happens and it starts to look too dangerous, just get out of there and report back to the town, all right?”

He put his boot in the stirrup and swung his leg over the saddle.

“We’ll do our best to cover your strategic withdrawal. But hopefully we won’t run into anything too dangerous.”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:11 am

Gothrom urged his horse into position ahead of the militia men, ready to get underway.

Retreat? Sounds like they're expecting a lot of them.

He glanced back at the village trio with a neutral expression as he spoke. "You lot get many of these raids from dog-men?"
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 am

Kaedyn frowns with some incredulity and glances at the dwarf. He scoffs, "You a tad sleepy there, Gothrom? I pegged you for being more colorful about the prospects of chopping up gnolls."

He goes ahead and says what he thinks the bearded one should have said, "Lads, we shall kill the raiding bastards, no matter how many they are. After facing down a few devils, dog heads are not so scary. If need be, we withdraw and regroup, then strike back at them."

spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 4/4+D (Bless, Bane, Doom, Divine Favor, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon (D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 am

Gothrom furrows his brow, offering Kaedyn a scowl as he shakes his head at the perceived insult.

"I was ready to cut into the stinking fur faced cretins from first word last night! I'm tryin' to wrap my mind around why these boys' plan of attack is to square off and run away, but make no mistake, I'm for gutting the lot of them regardless."

The dwarf tightens his grip on his horse's reigns, his knuckles under his gloves turning white.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Nikhil snickers at the by play between Gothrom and Kaedyn. It is still early in the morning for the duskblade to be very talkative, with the sun not quite shinning enough to burn off the morning mist.

The duskblade eyes the three guardsmen, and shrugs his shoulders. They may not be as trained as the group of them, but they mostly likely could hold their own. At the very least, they could pepper any gnolls with crossbow bolts why Gothrom and the others get into the teeth of any dog heads.

"Oi, they just don't want to get the way of your flying axe, Gothrom," Nikhil comments dryly. "As for the gnolls....the only good one is a dead one, I say. Now then, shall we?" Nikhil gestures that he is ready to move out. He pulls out his composite longbow and lays it across the pummel of his saddle for easy access. It pays to be ready.
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: The Tranym Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 am

The guardsman, Bob, shakes his head, "Not yet, at least. The gnolls are ranging up north, I guess. They have not mounted any raids on the town, nor the construction site for the keep."

Following Nikhil's example, they make sure their crossbows are loaded and carry them in hand instead of their spears.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Next

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron