Grp C: The Thornbury Forest [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:52 am

It doesn't take long to reach the out buildings of the village and you are on an avenue that will take you straight to the center of Thornbury and the Laughing Plowboy Inn. As you approach the square on front, the sun is low and obscured by the forest that rings the village.

Screams are suddenly heard from the north, the direction of the road that leads out of the hamlet. A man staggers into view around a bend in the road. His clothing is badly torn, and he is sweat-soaked and covered in dried blood from numerous scratches.

As curious villagers gather round, he babbles to anyone who listens that he was a drover for the cloth merchants Pulus and Rund. He breathlessly explains that the three merchant wagons were ten miles north of town when dozens of dog-headed humanoids, each taller than him, surged out of the woods in attack. He saved himself by jumping off his wagon and running as fast as he could into the woods. He ran as long as he could, finally collapsing into some bushes. After spending a few hours in the forest to rest, he stumbled around until he came across the road, and followed it down into the hamlet.

Image
Among the onlookers is a scarred, middle-aged man dressed in full chainmail, accompanied by two young men in chain shirts. The older man turns to one of his companions, ordering him to organize a mounted patrol to head out at first light to try and find any other survivors.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12328
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am

“Excuse me, sir.”

Phaeral led his horse forward through the crowd. As soon as he had heard the cries for help, he glanced at the others then dismounted, heading forward to hear the drover’s tale. Now he stood next to the scarred man in chainmail and held the reins in one hand and his bow in the other. His pack and quiver rested on his back. Mundo stood at his side, ears cocked forward, alert.

Phaeral’s face was serious, his brow furrowed and eyes lit with concern.

“With all due respect, sir, those people may not make it through the night. Even if the dog-headed men only want to plunder the wagons, the survivors will have to contend with the other creatures of the forest until dawn. What about sending out a rescue party now?”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:43 am

The dwarf makes his way past the humans barring his view of the wounded man before turning his attention to armored men. Dog-headed men? Could it be more devilry?

He listened to Phaeral address the more experienced armored man. Smelling the food from the inn, he let out a faint sigh.
Phaeral's probably right, though it'd be nice to get round to things like that tomorrow.
Smashing dog-man faces will work just as well as doors.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 am

Kaedyn reins in his horse alongside Phaeral's and rests one hand on the saddle's pommel, the longspear's butt all the way to the ground as he holds the upper part of the shaft in the other. He is intending to use the long weapon to assist him in dismounting.

"Ten miles is long way at night by torch light. How fairs the village with folk that can see in the dark?"

On a normal day, he would be all for galloping off to aid in the search, but such a venture when tired and at night could be suicidal given what devils are lurking around out there.

spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 0/4+D (Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 2/3 (Hold Person, Deific Vengeance)
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:05 am

Image
The man turns his attention to the scout and the armored man mounted beside him. He looks you all over and doesn't have a pleasant look.

"The gnolls are undisciplined fighters generally, so I am pretty skeptical about their being dozens. However, venturing into the forest's disputed territory with torches to light the way will likely provoke another ambush. And my men, in the best of circumstances are not able to go toe to toe with an equal number of armed gnolls in daylight."

"While I can sympathize with their plight, the caravans are responsible for their own security. If there are any survivors, there is little chance my patrol will find them in the dark."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12328
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:32 am

After a short, awkward attempt at backing his horse out of the crowd, the dwarf just climbs off of it and moves to stand next to Phaeral and Kaedyn. "We just came from devil-splitting. A few dog-men aren't a problem, eh boys?" he gives Phaeral and Kaedyn each a nudge at the hip, curling his mustached lip into a grin.

I'm not backing out of a potential battle on account of a few moon beams. Waiting on the human's eyes does mean a good rest, though.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Phaeral nodded, solemnly.

“I understand. You’re right, sir. I can see how the risk is too much.”

He glanced over his shoulder at the others.

“Let me discuss things with my companions. If we don’t head out right now to look for the caravan ourselves, we may want to join you and your men tomorrow morning.”

He paused.

“My name is Phaeral Oeri, by the way. These are my companions Gothrom, Kaedyn, and Nikhil. Earlier we were asked by the foreman to look into a local matter for him, and we’ve just returned. I don’t want to cause any panic, but there is unusual danger in these woods right now.”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 am

Nikhil remains on top his horse next to his knight friend Kaedyn watching the commotion in silence. "Devils or dog-faces, they are one in the same. Both evil and destructive." the duskblade comments. The late night and the days activities of devil fighting are catching up the man, and he is somewhat relived they are not gallivanting through the night on what amounts to a potential suicide mission. With a hearty meal and a good nights rest, the group would be better prepared to devils or gnolls coming morning.

"Well, "
Nikhil starts up once Phaeral rejoins the others, "think this gnoll incident is related to the devils or that maybe the Geoffrey fellow is in cahoots with them? Either way, I think we should tag along with that patrol in the morning. Or leave before them if they don't head out at first light."
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:21 am

Kaedyn glances at the excited dwarf and nods, "Aye, I would agree with you. But, even more so in the morning."

"Seeing that my spells are mostly depleted, I cannot see my own backside without a torch at night, and we will be extending our endurance beyond normal to head out tonight, I think we have little choice but to wait."

"Though, trying to stop us from helping in the morning will be difficult."


spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 0/4+D (Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 2/3 (Hold Person, Deific Vengeance)
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:44 am

Image
The man still looks stern and replies to the introductions, "I am Athenos Destrani, Captain of the guards assigned to protect the construction site for the Keep. That and protecting the town itself, but so far we have not had any gnolls raid this far south."

"You are welcome to conduct the search instead of my men. You all are probably more capable, judging by your equipment. With your dog there, you might have a good chance of tracking things down."


He would appear to be satisfied with this idea, solving two situations neatly.

"I'll discuss this with Kalan Manos."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12328
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 am

Phaeral nodded.

“All right, thank you, Captain. We are staying at the inn.”

He didn’t think there was actually anywhere else to stay in the village, but it was probably better to make it clear from the outset.

“It sounds like we will be leaving at first light. Please contact us if there is any more news.”

He turned back to the others.

“All right, sounds like a plan. Let’s get some rest so we can get up early and go.”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Gothrom goes off and collects his mount, climbing into the saddle. He starts off towards the inn when his companions are ready. "Well, we're not wanting for work."

His gaze trails off to nothing in particular as his mind drifts to warm dwarf-made cooking and ale. That'll do, yes... That'll do. Maybe a proper stout dwarven woman'll happen by, catch sight of me comin' back from battle, a prime specimen, in all my glory. She'd naturally come over, maybe our beards'll touch, and... Gothrom stares off as his horse trots along, his cheeks red. He lets out a low, lecherous laugh before seeming to come back to reality with a shake of his head.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:39 am

Kaedyn nods in agreement and wheels his horse towards the inn and the stable, "Aye, heroes are always in demand."

"As much as I would like a battle trained mount, this little hamlet might not have such a steed. I will ask at the inn, and if there is none to be had, first light it is."
The clopping of the horses hooves on the hard packed earth of the village's street make enough noise that he nearly misses the dwarf's laugh.

Seeing that Gothrom appears to be half crazy sometimes, the cleric just shrugs and continues on.

spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 0/4+D (Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 2/3 (Hold Person, Deific Vengeance)
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

"Indeed," Nikhil comments in agreement with his knight friend and Gothrom. Turning his horse towards the inn, the duskblade follows after the others. A pitcher of ale and a hearty meal was calling the man. Nikhil looks sideways as he passes the daydreaming dwarf, but shrugs his shoulders likewise.

"Well, once we're back in Callenburg, we can all look into trading up our mounts for battle and better trained horses." the dark haired man says. He is not as comfortable fighting on top of horse as the knight, and as such isn't too worried about acquiring more horse than he can handle.

"Aye, Some ale, a hearty meal, and good night's rest is what we all need. Then we go gnoll smashing eh?" Nikhil says as the group arrives at the villages only inn. He dismounts his horse, gives it a quick scratch on it's noise before calling for a stable boy to take his and the other horses and board them for the night. Stretching a bit with a grunt from the day's labors, Nikhil walks into the inn and acquires a table for the group.
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

"Aye, Some ale, a hearty meal, and good night's rest is what we all need. Then we go gnoll smashing eh?"

The dwarf nods heartily to Nikhil. "You're right on all accounts there, I say."

Gothrom, tired from both the trek into the forest, and hunger, joins his fellow adventurers at a table in the Laughing Plowboy and soon sets to the task of eating and drinking a more than generous share of local food and ale.

He excuses himself to a room after he finishes sating his gluttony and failing to make his imaginings a reality. Sleeping well enough, with the promise of battling savage man-beasts come morning.

He comes down to join his companions at early morning, looking eager and in a good mood, his axe blade freshly sharpened. The vast majority of the wood shavings from the door incident have even vacated his beard.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest