Grp C: The Thornbury Forest [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:35 am

The clearing around the hut looks as you left it by all appearances. It is hard to say if Geoffry had returned or not, but the windows are dark and no smoke it rising from the pipe that serves as a chimney.

If he were home, the interior of his hut would be quite dim from the dirty windows and fading light.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12239
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:32 am

Gothrom climbed off his horse and plopped heavily onto the ground. He straightened, taking a few steps toward the house, and peered at it through squinted eyes, his brow furrowed.

He shouldered his axe and turned to the others.
"We knocking and pleadin' again? If we smash his door in, well, he works with wood, yeah? He could probably fix it." The dwarf showed his yellowed teeth, smiling through the curtain of hair that is his beard and mustache. His tone didn't make it obvious whether or not he was joking.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:48 am

Phaeral slipped off his horse and dropped to the ground with a quiet thud of impact.

He glanced around at the others, meeting their gazes in turn. Then he nodded and turned back to the dwarf.

“Break it down,” he told Gothrom. “If it turns out he’s innocent, we’ll pay for the damages. But the situation has become much more serious. We need to be sure.”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Having kept mostly to himself on the journal back to town, Nikhil breaks his silence by snickering loudly at Gothrom's joke. "Aye, that he could. But than again, we'd have left the hut open for squatters and looters if the man has skipped town on us."

Nikhil dismounts from his horse, and does a quick stretch as he glances at the dwarf. Phearal was right, they could simply pay for a new door. They can easily afford it, and the foreman might even be understanding of it once the group had a chance to explain their investigation.

"Well, Gothrom, let's see if you can get it one go, eh?" the duskblade eggs the dwarf barbarian on. Nikhil rocked on his heals and waits for the show of force.
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Gothrom raises an eyebrow with a blank expression for a moment as there is agreement with his suggestion, something he wasn't entirely expecting, but the vacant look is quickly replaced with one of determination as he readies his waraxe, purposefully marching up to the door.

He grunts at Nikhil's chiding before squaring off at the door frame, he takes his time lining up the blow to the center of the door, raising his axe above his head, and grits his teeth as he brings it down hard.
As splinters and dust settles, he looks at what effect his strike achieved him, pausing briefly before readying for another blow.

spoiler: show
Lines up his shot as a full round action, attempting to sunder the door the following round.
Standard Action: Attack Door (Using full power attack) 1d12+15 → [1,15] = (16)

Current AC: 18 (16 Flat-footed / 13 Touch)
Current HP: 51/51 remaining
Weapons in Hand: Dwarven Waraxe +1 (wielded with two hands)

Rage(8rnds): 2/2
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:42 am

Sliding down from his own horse, Kaedyn chuckles, his voice deep as Gothrom begins chopping away.

"This morning, we were so timid about scouting around here. Now, we are the jack-booted gendarmes busting in the doors." While he is jesting about the situation, there is not disapproval in his tone.

Calling out loudly, the cleric says, "Come on! Hit it again, only harder! Don't let it beat you. You swing that axe like a wee halfling, Gothrom!" He chuckles as the burly dwarf is making short work of the wooden door.

spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 0/4+D (Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 2/3 (Hold Person, Deific Vengeance)
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 am

A few more chops of the waraxe and Gothrom has the door splintered and staring to come off its hinges as well. Pushing aside the debris, the inside of the hut is rather plain in its dimness.

The bed in the corner is a nest of hay padding under some furs. The rest of the living space is rather untidy and definitely lived in. The housekeeper must have had the month off. There is no trace of a fire being lit in the last several hours.

Geoffry doesn't appear to be hiding inside.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12239
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:38 am

Eyeing his handywork and the chunk freed from the door, Gothrom yells back at Kaedyn without bothering to turn to face the man, pausing a long moment in his comeback to slash at the door again.
"I'm giving the goat shit a chance to do this the easy way! S'called a warning blow, but he only gets one!" The stout dwarf's axe connects loudly to the door once more, splinters and dust flying with the sudden impact. "Get your pants up, you've got company!"

As the door gives way, the dwarf looks about the house half-heartedly and takes a few heavy breaths. "looks like he knew what was good for him after all." Gothrom nods to Kaedyn, setting his axe on his shoulder, not seeming to notice or care that his beard and front side are covered in sawdust.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 am

“Hmmm.”

Phaeral slipped past Gothrom, no mean feat in the narrow doorway. There were several deep axe cuts in the doorjamb, so that would have to be replaced as well, but the hovel was not a complicated structure, either. Even Phaeral, who had no experience with such things, could see how it could be done.

When he got inside the hut, he winced a little. There was nothing particularly suspicious inside. Perhaps they had overreacted somewhat. But at the same time, watching Gothrom chop down that door had felt strangely satisfying.

“Well, let me look around for secret notes or a giant bag of gold hidden under his bedroll or something.”

He began to search.

spoiler: show
Take 20 on a +10 Search.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:33 am

In the short time he has known the dwarf, Kaedyn has never thought Gothrom cared two licks abut what people thought about him, nor his appearance. So the sight of wood chips adorning the warrior's beard and body only brings a light smirk as he replies, "Yeah, probably. At least he wasn't caught taking a shit. Not a sight I was looking forward to seeing."

"In any case, we should keep an eye out for him lurking around. If he is a spy, he could be out spying right now... or meeting his devilish masters... or he just left."


He waits to see if the scout found anything in the small dwelling.

While he is waiting around, he looks to Nikhil, "Actually, I am stuck with another thought."

"With all of the devils we have faced, they appear to come out of thin air, porting in from hells knows where. Why would they even need a spy like this loner? Would not a little imp or something be more reliable and unobtrusive from their point of view?"

"I wonder, if this Geoffry is even up to no good, maybe he is in league with someone else. Maybe we have another player around here, some fool ass wizard consorting with dragons might be unrelated to the devils."

"Damnation! It could be that we bought this evilness to Thornbury ourselves with this quest we are on. Could be the devils are trying to thwart our finding the portal to their plane."


spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 0/4+D (Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 2/3 (Hold Person, Deific Vengeance)
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:05 am

After a thorough search of the cabin, Phaeral doesn't find Geoffry.

He doesn't find any secret compartments, tunnels or doors, either. Strangely enough, the place looks lived in from a superficial point of view. The bed looks to be used. There are some provisions and household things that look to have been used recently. But, there is very little in the way of personal belongings or items that indicate the occupant has been living in the dwelling for a long time.

Even examining the items that are present, there is nothing of interest that could be construed as evidence. No journal, nor parchment of dispatches. No strange objects of devil worship.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12239
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 am

“Um, oops. I kind of didn’t find anything.”

Phaeral turned back to the others with a sheepish look on his face. He pushed his hair off his brow with an absent hand.

“I, uh, guess we should leave a note on his door. And tell the foreman what we did. Maybe we can leave the money with him to pay for the repairs.”

He winced, shrugging.

“Meanwhile, Sir Kaedyn has a good point. Um, so what do you guys think we should do next? Or should we head back to the inn, get a meal and some drinks, and discuss it?”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:28 am

"You figure he left for good?" He eyes the door's condition. "Heh, he might now."

Gothrom glances about the clearing half-heartedly. "I could use some some real dwarven cooking. Could get rooms and seek out your mage and horse come morning. Eh, and I guess we could let the elf know his tree friend is safe an' he's down a village door."
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: The Thornburry Forest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 am

Phaeral nodded.

“Sure, sounds good. After that fight and traveling all day, I could use a cold ale and a nice big steak. How about you guys?”

He set down his bow, slipped off his pack, and pulled his journal from one of the pouches. Phaeral took out a charcoal and wrote a brief note for Goffry. He set it on the small kitchen table.

“Are we ready?”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:37 am

Nodding in agreement, Kaedyn adds a silver coin to the note left for the man's house they just broke into.

"Just in case it turns out he is innocent. You never know. And, a silver coin is not much to pay for our reputation."

"Yes, let us head into the village proper."


He climbs back up on his horse, settling into the saddle. Wheeling the mount around, he reins it in and follows along beside Gothrom as Phaeral and Nikhil lead the way.

spoiler: show
Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect:

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 0/4+D (Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 2/3 (Hold Person, Deific Vengeance)
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

PreviousNext

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron