Grp C: The Thornbury Forest [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Grp C: The Thornbury Forest [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:05 am

After the holy knight and duskblade dealt with a nefarious rogue wizard throwing lightning bolts around inside the town's professional district, Kaedyn and Nikhil were no longer newcomer scabs in the Adventurer's Guild. They have the scars to prove that they are journeymen of some merit, having survived the blast of the bolt has left Kaedyn's hair a bit more curly and sometimes his brain still feels rattled.

The pair have departed on horseback heading east in the wake of the cleric's former companions who left 2 days before. There wasn't much time to discuss things ahead of time, Kaedyn just told Nikhil to get a horse and tack quickly, they had to leave at dawn the next day.

Entering the forested lands a few hours from Callenburg, Kaedyn thinks about what lies ahead so he can break the silence of their morning travels to discuss it with the duskblade riding alongside.
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:17 am

Nikhil rides along with his knightly friend in relative silence. Having been given little instruction other than fetching a horse and tack, the duskblade wondered what business had given the knight a sense of urgency. Nikhil didn't like being left in the dark, especially if he was riding unto unknown danger. But his friend would tell him in due time.

Meanwhile, the duskblade enjoyed the morning ride through the forest.
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Rodgin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Nikhil had been preoccupied when the Guild Runner had delivered the message to Kaedyn. A woodsman had just reported a highly disturbing sight. A man dressed in a deep cowled black robe had been talking to what he had guessed to be a small red dragon. They spoke a language that he hadn't understood, but the words had nearly made him want to run away screaming, plugging his ears from hearing any more of the terrible words.

The only reason he hadn't was the fact that he had been to terrified to do anything other then listen. He made out one word, and their direction of travel and confirmed he had heard correctly. Thornberry seemed to be their direction of travel. While it was unclear what the man or dragon had to say, but they were obviously up to no good.

The Guild Runner had passed on a message from the guild leader, suggesting they meet up with the foursome who had been in that direction to find a wizard. They should be nearly done with their errand and more then capable of lending a hand in checking on Thornberry.
User avatar
Rodgin
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 am

Riding along, the holy knight finally speaks, "Nik, Master Deves sent someone late last night to my chambers at the Chapter House of Heironeous's Paladins. The report his agent told me was a woodsman saw some skulking mage or dragon tamer talking with a small red dragon. The scared woodsman reported the man spoke in an unknown language that scared the piss out him. But he mentioned hearing the name 'Thornburry' before he fled the scene, the woodsman, not the skulker."

"I am not sure how much credibility this report has, but the nefarious man was wearing a cowled black robe to hide his face. That is typical of a villainous person trying to hide their identity..."

"Or race? With all of the evil outsiders running around lately, that man could have been any number of people or humanoid-like creatures. It could even have been another of Varrantu's devilish minions. Though, I don't see them aligning with red dragons. But, what the hell do I know, eh? Maybe it was another fuckin' Githyanki or fiend like that Worang we killed."

"Anyway, I think Deves heard that my former comrades in arms where out in that direction, and thought we might be able to find them to enlist their assistance in dealing whatever danger the village of Thornburry might be in. I hope you packed your fire resistant breeches."

"Father Darrenson, bless his departed soul, dispatched Ashleigh and them to seek out a former comrade from his younger years. The wizard took up residence about two days past the branch in the road leading to Thornburry. They left on horses and I expect they will be returning after talking to the wizard. We should be able to meet them at that branch in the road and ask if they can join us."

"We will have need of a good archer and that dwarf is very good with an axe."
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Nikhil glances to his friend as Kaedyn finishes sharing what he knows. "I see, " says the duskblade slowly. The outsider plight was no laughing matter. Nikhil had heard the stories of the fight with Worang from Kaedyn to know. No one wanted demons or fiends running around causing havoc, and they needed to be stopped at all costs. Especially after the murder of Father Darrenson in his own chapel.

"A dragon you say? No, I don't see them aligning with fiends either. Perhaps they are just using the demon caused chaos for their own gain." Nikhil speculates. "Regardless, you are right. The matter must be investigated." With the awakening of his draconic blood, Nikhil wondered how the pair would fair against a full-blooded dragon. Now that could be quite the fight.

"So that's where the fiery red head went off to. Was beginning to wonder her and her comrades had gone off to. In any case, let's hope they've had good fortune in their endeavor."
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:18 am

Holding the reins, Kaedyn is not the best horseman, but so far he has not fallen off yet. Though he is encased in his platemail armor, the exposed skin of his face shows the sheen of metallic skin underneath, the dragonblood runs through his veins.

"A red one will be evil, for damn sure, mate. But, it is was a small one, they are not so conniving yet, methinks. Selfish more like, and I don't see any self respecting dragon sharing their treasure."

"You know, I heard some other crew faced off against a small black one. They managed to drive it off."

"Well, at least I won't have to worry so much about having my hair curled again."

"Lucky that asshole back in town wasn't a very strong mage. Let me tell you, he still packed almost as much a wallop as your own electrical channeling into your weapon."
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Rodgin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:22 am

Your journey continues with no real distractions.

spoiler: show
I need five spot and five listen checks. Also, I need a wisdom check from both of you, add survival skill if you have it.
User avatar
Rodgin
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:36 am

Kaedyn continues along with his longspear already in hand as they ride through the forest in the reduced visibility while he waits for Nikhil to respond.

"Ho hum. Nice weather, eh?"

spoiler: show
Listen & Spot (1d20+3=11 & 1d20+5=11), (1d20+3=12 & 1d20+5=7), (1d20+3=6 & 1d20+5=12), (1d20+3=20 & 1d20+5=24), (1d20+3=14 & 1d20+5=9)
Wisdom (1d20+3=13)
Horse with scent: Horse's Listen & Spot (1d20+4=8 & 1d20+4=17), (1d20+4=17 & 1d20+4=11), (1d20+4=10 & 1d20+4=13), (1d20+4=15 & 1d20+4=22), (1d20+4=12 & 1d20+4=12)
Move Action:
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect: n/a

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 4/4+D (Bless, Doom, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Silence, Hold Person, Deific Vengence, Spiritual Weapon(D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Nikhil is a bit better with his horsemanship than his comrade, but not by much. With lighter armor, the duskblade is a bit more nimble if his horse decides to bolt. The duskblade turns and stretches in his saddle, while holding the reins loosely. The dark haired longbow lays crosswise across his saddle for a quick grasp if it comes down to it.

"Aye, I heard the same stories about that group facing the black dragon. What was it's name, Narok. Nemrock? Something like that? Anyway, nasty business when all said and done. With a red dragon, you'll just need to be careful to not get your hair singed?"

"Anyway, your right. Maybe the dragon is being controlled?" Nikhil suggests with a shrug.

After drifting off into silence, Nikhil makes a hmmph sound about the weather, but doesn't respond.



spoiler: show
Listen rolls: 1d20+2=3, 1d20+2=21, 1d20+2=11, 1d20+2=12, 1d20+2=8
Spot Rolls: 1d20+4=13, 1d20+4=20, 1d20+4=6, 1d20+4=21, 1d20+4=22
Wisdom: 1d20=5

Horse's Listen:1d20+4=15, 1d20+4=14, 1d20+4=20, 1d20+4=17, 1d20+4=7
Horse's Spot; 1d20+4=18, 1d20+4=8, 1d20+4=20, 1d20+4=17, 1d20+4=15

Double Move Action: double move to I17
Free Action: NA


Current AC: 18
Current HP: 29/29 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: comp longbow

Current Conditions:
Spells:
0-level remaining: 5/5
1st-level remaining: 5/5
Spell like abilities (dancing lights, detect magic, flare, ghost sound, read magic): 4/4
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Rodgin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:05 am

The weather is, in fact, quite pleasant, with a gentle breeze and the occassional cloud to keep the sun from pounding too hard. The forest road is level , and travel is as easy as it gets. There is no garuntee for how long the weather will hold, but you both suspect to make today's travels under the fair skys.

As you near the road fork for Thornburry, you see two hobbits standing in the road. They are well armed, though not brandishing their weapons. They each wear a travel cloak, obscurring their faces slightly, though not really hiding anything. They each raise an unarmed hand in greeting, the larger of the two calling out to you.

Image
"Hail Travellers! What news from Callenburg?"

spoiler: show
Image
User avatar
Rodgin
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:22 am

Kaedyn pulling up short on the reins, Kaedyn remarks softly, "I think it was Noak."

"Ho, what's this?"


Seeing the shifting looking little people blocking the road, Kaedyn moves his horse slowly forward. The cleric is not afraid or even overly cautious, just a bit wary as the two do not throw back their hoods like they have nothing to hide.

"Well, met fellas. Callenburg still stands, back yonder. Insane wizards have not burnt it to the ground yet, heh, heh."

"What news from where are you from?"


spoiler: show
Move Action: Move to F6
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect: n/a

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 4/4+D (Bless, Doom, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Silence, Hold Person, Deific Vengence, Spiritual Weapon(D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Rodgin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:34 am

"Thornburry still stands as well," the larger halfling says with a weird sort of chuckle. "Though we didn't stay long enough to tell you more. Not much there but farmers and lumberjacks."

Both halflings get concerned as you continue to approach, their stance shifting a little and hands resting on their weapons. They relax again when you stop, obviously not nearly as worried as your approach made them.

"They look the type," the smaller one said quieter. Obviously the comment was made for his companion but it wasn't quiet enough that you can't hear it.

"My name is Morry, and this is my brother Poppin. Are you two with the Adventurer's Guild? We've heard good things about them. Thinking about signing up when we got to Callenburg. A friend had told me they have been known to pay ransoms for captured guild members."
User avatar
Rodgin
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Nikhil » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Nikhil look at the sight of the pair of hobbits. He frowns at the sight, unsure what to make of it yet. the duskblade nudges his horse forward, but hangs back a little letting the Kaedyn take the lead. Stopping just slightly back from his friend, Nikhil listens to the hobbits speak of the guild. The dark haired man's eyes narrow at the words ransom.

Neither denying or conceding his guild allegiance, Nikhil asks abruptly, "And what about ransoming guild members? Did some idiot greenhorn of an adventurer bite off more than he can chew?"

spoiler: show
Move Action: Move to E5
Standard Action:
Free Action: NA


Current AC: 18
Current HP: 29/29 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: comp longbow

Current Conditions:
Spells:
0-level remaining: 5/5
0-level spells known: Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue
1st-level remaining: 5/5
1st-level spells known: Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, Color Spray
Spell like abilities (dancing lights, detect magic, flare, ghost sound, read magic): 4/4
Nikhil : Adventurer's Guild
User avatar
Nikhil
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:12 am

Kaedyn raises a puzzled eyebrow, "I highly doubt Master Deves would pay. Any crazy nugget that gets captured is shit out of luck, I think, mate. Those are the hazards of the business."

"You two should stop in there, only 25 good coins to join. Grog will welcome you proper with some Kobold Brew. Tell the grumpy cuss, Kaedyn Thorngood sent you."


He is a bit wary of two potential pint-sized highwaymen that appear to be too interested in ransoms. He has no qualms about riding them down if his horse is willing should they try something threatening.

spoiler: show
Move Action: none
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 21 (20 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) 23 with shield
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longspear
condition in effect: n/a

Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Destroy Undead: (DC=18, 5d6 damage): 3/3 remaining
Spells Remaining:
Orisons 5/5 (Guidance x 2, Light, Detect Magic x 2)
1st level 4/4+D (Bless, Doom, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Disrupt Undead(D))
2nd level 3/3+D (Silence, Hold Person, Deific Vengence, Spiritual Weapon(D))
Touch of Healing = 6HP
User avatar
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Kaedyn & Nikhil [IC]

Postby Rodgin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:09 am

"That's a pity," Morry said with a frown. "I guess my friend was wrong. That is fine, we'll still make sure we check in. In the mean time, you two will make an excellent snack."

Both halflings generate and throw a web, seemingly by magic, though you now see that both of them aren't exactly halflings. Kaedyn finds himself stuck in the web aimed at him, unable to move. Nikhil's attacker missed, leaving him free to come to his friends rescue.

spoiler: show
Image

Initiative Order:
Morry: 23
Popping: 20
Nikhil: 16
Kaedyn: 6 (Entangled)
User avatar
Rodgin
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Next

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron