Grp C: To meet a wizard [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:30 am

Ashleigh hands the parchment notes that were with the crystal to Phaeral, "It would be a reasonable assumption, Rahn. You understand Elven don't you, Phaeral?"

Taking the magical crystal out of the box, she hands it to the dwarf to examine. She asks curiously, "You guys know more about ogres than I do. Are the ogre mages really outsiders?"

"Looking at what was ransacked, they did not appear to be looking for the same thing we are. I suppose it could be unrelated, couldn't it?"

She agrees with Gothrom that the flasks should at least go with them, better than being left behind at least. But looking around at everything, there is just too much to possible find use for it all. Flipping open some of the books, she cannot make much sense of most of it, probably in elven.
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

Re: Grp C: To meet a wizard [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:43 am

Phaeral starts looking around and realizes that most of the scrolls and books are personal journals of the wizards. Reading a tidbit hear and there, he realizes that it could take days to just sort through it all to even realize what might be valuable.

Gothrom looks over the crystal and it shares properties of quartz, amethyst and rubies, but is not either of those entirely. It is definitely a unique specimen as far as he can tell.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:56 am

“Yeah, I learned elven back home. We had a lot of contact with elves in my village, and we traded with their merchants often.”

Phaeral took the parchment Ashleigh handed to him and spent several minutes reading it over. As he read, he started to frown. Then his eyes widened.

“Hey, hey, you guys. Ash, you’re right. This is important. He was already doing some research on the portal. Maybe Father Darrenson managed to get in touch with him beforehand. Or maybe he realized it was an issue too, and was working on it independently.”

He waved the parchment in the air for a moment, then looked around at each of his compatriots before turning his gaze back to the parchment.

“Wow, okay, so the gist of what this thing says is that this crystal – ” He waved a hand at it. “Is something like a key. A key to opening the portal. I don’t see why they need the key if the portal is already open, but maybe there’s something we don’t know. In any case, Ezreal hadn’t yet found out the location of the portal, or the trigger for activating the key. But there’s something in here about a place Saint Justinian's Library. Maybe that’s a place to find more information. I think that’s pretty far from there, though.”

Phaeral paused.

“So this is what they were looking for. Maybe the devils know the location of the portal, but they just need the key. We need to keep this with us. We can’t let it fall into the wrong hands.”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Rahn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:43 pm

"Well it's a start at any rate, " Rahn responds to the Phearal's findings. "Once we're done here, we can bury the elf, head out to this library. Do we know where it is? Maybe we need to backtrack to that town and inquire?"
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby Ashleigh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Ashleigh speculates, "I thought Father Darrenson told us that the outsiders were using the portal to come here already. But, definitely this crystal is necessary to stop them."

Maybe we can lock the portal, or we can use the key to go through and deal with them on the other side?"

Even as she says it, she is unsure about facing devils and demons on their own turf.
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

Postby Gothrom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:14 pm

"Might be that they want the crystal just to keep it out of our hands and stop us from locking their portal up," Gothrom suggests. His knowledge of portals is limited, but he figures that a key can be used to lock or unlock one, if they are anything like doors. "Why are we needing to go to this library? Shouldn't we be looking for the portal?"

Despite his suspicions, Gothrom cannot help but grin as Ashleigh suggests that they go through the portal to take on the devils on their own turf.
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Ashleigh » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Ashleigh's eyes twinkle, "I bet if we frolicked around in the forests around Callenburg long enough we could stumble across it."

Something in her fey-like flightiness indicates that she would be happy to just that, particularly since she has been known to perform such rituals after bathing in the forest streams and such.
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

Postby PMiller » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:18 pm

From his perusal of the parchment notes, Phaeral gets the impression that simply trying to look for the portal might be difficult. The notes do not contain a map but there are Ezeral's suspicions on where he thought the magic portal could be.

Though, finding the portal is probably the easier task. The crystal is likely a key, but that is unclear. The wizard suspected that it was perhaps a talisman to ensure safe passage through the portal or perhaps the token to ensure you could return. He also postulated that the crystal might be able to open multiple destinations.

The library at Saint Justinian's Abbey was known to contain research on a similar artifact, according to Ezeral's research. The vague allusions to the how he obtained the crystal itself, lead the scout to believe that Ezeral might have had the actual crystal that was in the abbey's possession, without their knowledge, however. For some unexplained reason in the notes, the wizard states the library will have the trigger to activate the crystal.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:26 am

“It sounds like we need to go to this library and find the trigger and more research on the crystal,” Phaeral said, looking up from the notes briefly. “If it is a way to shut the portal permanently, we need to pursue that. Having it doesn’t do us any good if we don’t know how to use it. We could only make things worse, too.”

He sighed and folded the parchment neatly, slipping it into a small square, then tucking the square into his journal.

Then he looked down at the dead elf.

“We should tend to Ezreal’s remains. Rahn, what do you know of Elven funerary rites? What sort of service should we give him?”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Rahn » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:22 pm

"Agreed," Rahn says as he nods at the scouts conclusions. The cleric didn't want to be responsible for making the situation worse by misusing the crystal. In the matter of the portal, it was his opinion that they should find out as much about the crystal and it's trigger as they could. Which meant someone had to go the library.

Snapping out of his thoughts, Rahn glances at Phaeral and shrugs his shoulders. "Sorry, I don't. Never had to bury an elf before. Where I come from we typically burn the dead and bury the ashes. However, let me think for a second...I remember hearing some talk of the rites at the local church while growing up."

spoiler: show
KNow Religion check: _: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby Gothrom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Gothrom grimaces as the talks of going to this library continues. He would go along if he must, but his inability to read would render him useless to the task and he would likely spend his days drinking and wenching in a nearby tavern. The prospect would normally cheer him up, but not when he knows that there are battles to be fought elsewhere. He doubts that the devils would stop their activities for the duration of the group's researches. Might be they are burning the library and beheading it's occupants as we speak...

He is happy to let Rahn and Phaeral decide what to do with the elf's body.
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Ashleigh » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Ashleigh's nods solemnly, "Yes, let us deal with that. We should collect the gear and belongings of the ogres, they are at least worth something. We can take these magical items as well, otherwise they will just be looted when whoever sent the ogres sends more after them."

She examines the potion vials carefully, each in turn. She is able to identify three of them, all three exactly the same. Presumably, the other two are also the same as well, but she cannot be sure.

The warlock shows the others, "These flasks are all an oil of some magical properties. These three I can figure out, but the other two are likely the same. They have properties similar to blessing a weapon with goodness, but also providing a bane towards evil outsiders with divine energy. The oil should last about 10 minutes for each application."

Having a sudden thought, she exclaims, "Hey, I know we cannot, nor will not take everything here. But, we should clean up the blood, and return things back in order. We should remove all of the bodies and stash the ogres some distance away, burying them too."

"I know it is a lot of work, but if more villains come this way, think of what they will find. The wizard gone, his tower locked up and no trace of a battle. They will not have realized we came and took the important things already."

Figuring that at least they will partially agree, she begin cleaning up and doing her best to put things back in order.

OOC: Spellcraft rolled: 3+11= 14; 20+11=31; 16+11=27; 19+11=30; 12+11=23

Updated treasury.
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

Postby Rahn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:59 pm

"Alright, that works, " Rahn says to Ashleigh. "While you get started on it, Phaeral and I will put the elf to rest."

Rahn was able to recall enough of the elven burial traditions to do the wizard justice. With Phaeral's help, the two of them take the body outside and bury the body according to those traditions. After some time the two return to the tree house, having completed their task.
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby Gothrom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:06 pm

"Aye, works for me as well", Gothrom agrees, nodding to Rahn and Ashleigh. "I'll go dump those Ogre corpses somewhere in the forest. All that wasted flesh should be returned to nature, so that it may be made into something more useful." With a snort of derision, he whirls around and disappears down the stairs.

If necessary, Gothrom will use the horses to help him drag the large bodies through the forest. He will drop them in a hole and leave them for the scavengers, not bothering to bury them unless his companions insist.
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Ashleigh » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:40 am

Not able to lift much, Ashleigh is glad for the strong dwarf's help in taking charge of the task of ogre disposal. Collecting the weapons and armor from the dead, she starts using cord and rope to secure them to saddle bags on the horses.

She remarks, "Well, there are two more potions here from the ogres. But, I cannot tell what they are."

There is quite a collection of large weapons and armor, and more than a few very well made. There is also some gold, not a fortune, and a decent sized gem.

OOC: Spellcraft rolled: 10+11=21; 3+11= 14

Updated treasury.
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Group C Threads