Grp C: To meet a wizard [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Grp C: To meet a wizard [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:05 am

Once again you return to the Chapter House of Heironeous to pay a visit to Father Darrenson. The boy acolyte ushers you into his study and office. Once seated, some tea is served.
Image
Jael greets you with a smile, "Good day, I hear that last night was successful. I am happy that scourge was dealt with."

The priests face grows serious once more and he comes around from his desk to continue somberly, "Though you have defeated the barghest, Arzethel, I have learned some very disconcerting news from the rest of the dispatches and journal notes you recovered."

"The fiend, Worang, had a powerful master, a devil named Varrantu. I have researched all morning, but I could learn nothing specific about this devil. But, you should know that most of those evil creatures have immunities to normal weapons and some times even resistances to magic spells. There are even cases where enchanted weapons are not enough, needing ones empowered with goodness as well."

"If he knows that you killed his minion, it is entirely possible that this devil may come looking for you in revenge. I think it best that you seek our powerful weapons and enchantments to deal with Varrantu."

"With the outsiders being active in this area recently, there must be a portal to other planes or realms somewhere around Callenburg. Finding that magical gate might lead to locating and dealing with these forces of evil. If it all possible, you might be able to hunt down Varrantu first and destroy him."


He hands you a crude map with directions to follow some game trails through the expansive forest for several days.

"To that end, you should seek out an elven wizard named Ezeral. He makes his home in a wizard's tower in a large tree, deep in the Darkwood Forest about one week's journey through the woods. He is an old acquaintance of mine from my younger days when I was abroad. Ezeral might be of assistance in locating and even shutting down the gate as well as determining the locations of some powerful weapons."

Updated Map:
spoiler: show
Image
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12367
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:38 am

Phaeral took the map with a smile and polite nod of thanks.

He studied it for a few moments, mulling over the general path they would have to take to get there. He knew it would be up to him to lead the group. With the overland travel, getting a dog to accompany them would be a good idea.

He looked up.

“Thank you, Father. We appreciate all your assistance,” he said. “The idea of a magical gate near the city is a horrible one. Citizens have already died.”

Phaeral paused, frowning as he remembered the question that had troubled him earlier.

“Father, do you know why the wolf fiend would have grown so quickly, almost overnight?”

He held out his arms to demonstrate the size of the wolf fiend the first time they encountered it, then stretched his arms wider to show how large it had been the second.

“Is there some…infernal method they have to grow that much?”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:05 am

Father Darrenson turns and picks up the book on his desk.
Image
Jael reviews a passage and answers Phaeral, "A barghest feeds on humanoid corpses, devouring both flesh and life force. After a few feedings it grows stronger, increasing in brute strength and becoming even harder to kill. I believe that is what it must have done the previous evening."
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12367
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 am

Ashleigh remarks about the information from Father Darrenson, "So the barghest murdered people the other night to grow stronger. It is a good thing we killed it then. If it had escaped, it would have probably murdered some more and kept getting stronger."

She grows silent as she contemplates the rest of what the priest said about weapons and devils.

Magical weapons cannot really help me, but gaining experience and increasing my eldritch energy would help. I hope it is enough.
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
User avatar
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:52 am

“Ugh, that’s horrible. You’re right, Ashleigh, it’s good we killed it. Thanks for the insight, Father.”

Phaeral indicated the black bow from his back.

“We found this magic bow at the store, and Ashleigh was kind enough to loan me some coin so I could afford it. Even Arzethel remarked on it. I hope it will be sufficient to help pierce the infernal hides of these creatures, until we are able to locate these powerful weapons.”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Rahn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 am

Rahn listens to the Father as he explains the dispatches and the groups next task. The news was troubling, especially in the light of the recently deceased fiends. He wondered how vindictive devils could be, and how much time the group had before the devil started to seek revenge.

Rahn clears his throat, "This is not good news. Not that I'm a coward or anything, but we should probably leave immediately to seek out this wizard. Father, can you write us a letter of introduction to the wizard. Even though he is an old acquaintance of yours, we've never meet him, and I like to get directly to the point once we arrive on his doorstep. A letter will help smooth things over. "

Looking back at the others, Rahn says "Well, that spear I picked up from the old keep is magical. But it probably be best to have something more powerful. Since it is also a weeks journey to the wizard's home, think we should grab some mounts to cut down the time? "
User avatar
Rahn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:09 am

Father Darrenson agrees and returns to his desk, "I can do that for you. It is the least I can do for you."
Image
Jael finishes the letter and stands up again when suddenly there is a flash of light between you and him.

Image
Standing before the Father is a fierce and beautiful woman about 6 feet tall, with a statuesque build and flawless skin. She has large feathery wings and red glowing eyes as she snaps her attention from you to Father Darrenson. She is wielding a longsword in her hand and a shining red composite longbow strapped across her back.

Caught completely off guard, Jael manages a look of fright and exclaims, "An erinyes!"

The winged woman replies, her tone cold, "That is correct, priest. Today you die on Varrantu's order. My Barbazu will keep these peons busy."

Image
Popping into existence are two more outsiders. The first thing that stands out are the massive saw-toothed glaives they are carrying. The creatures' pointed ears and moist, scaly skin mark them as outsiders. Each has a long tail, clawed hands and feet, and a snaky, disgusting beard.

You managed to get to your feet and reach for your weapons during this time, but nothing more.

** Combat Round 1 **
spoiler: show
Everyone is aware but got surprised
The Erinyes used the surprise round to summon in the Barbazu.
You managed to get to your feet during the surprise round and are no longer flat-footed.
The Barbazu are flat-footed until their turn.
Rahn could have even grabbed his longspear propped against the wall when he stood and the rest can start with a weapon in hand.
Ashleigh beat everyone with Initiative

Initiative Order:
Ashleigh
The Devils
You guys

Updated Tactical Map:
Image
Notes:
1) The desk can be moved diagonally around.
2) The door is shut

Current Party Conditions:
Code: Select all
Phaeral:    26/26 HP remaining
Ashleigh:   21/21 HP remaining; DR3/Cold Iron
Gothrom:    39/39 HP remaining
Rhan:       26/26 HP remaining
Jael:     30/30 HP remaining

Rhan Spells Cast:
Wand of CLW (Rahn): 30 Charges remaining

Enemy Status:
Code: Select all
Erinyes:
BD1:
BD2:
BD3:


Ashleigh only is up for round 1.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12367
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 am

Ashleigh reacts quickly and gets near the door before the Barbazu can attack, drawing her shortspear as she moves. She points a finger at the right one of the Barbazu.

<ZAPP!> The Eldritch Blast scorches the middle devil of the trio.

She recalls what she knows about these devils.

"Both of these creatures have the immunities that the Father mentioned. Magic won't be enough, but the silver will work on the bearded ones!"


spoiler: show
Knowledge The Planes checks; Erinyes 1d20+3=15 & Barbazu 1d20+3=16
Move Action: Move to U3 & Draw Shortspear
Standard Action: Ranged touch on BD2; 1d20+6=11, 2d6+1=9; To beat SR 1d20+3=20
Free Action: Talking

Current AC: 18 (15 Flat-footed / 13 Touch)
Current HP: 21/21 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: MWK Shortspear
Conditions in effect: DR3/Cold Iron; Darkvision & See Invisible
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
User avatar
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:51 am

Image
The Erinyes slashes at the startled priest with her longsword twice and manages to catch him once for a vicious wound [13 dmg]. The winged woman snarls, "Your interference with our plans ends this day."

Image
The first bearded devil slashes twice at Ashleigh, managing to nick her with its glaive on the first strike [3 dmg]. The wound itself is not so bad, but it burns and feels like it is on fire. The second devil focuses its attention on Rahn, shifting away from Phaeral and slashes him wickedly [12 dmg] down his side. That wound also burns and is painful like it is on fire, but without the flames.

A third Barbazu pops into the room.

Father Darrenson steps back from the winged devil and invokes a Divine spell, "May Heironeous smite you where you stand foul hell spawn!"
Image
A flash of Divine brilliance burst throughout the Father's office and engulfs the evil outsiders. It manages to penetrate their magic resistances and scorch their skin. The Erinyes manages to shrug off the worst of it as well as the latest Barbazu, but the first two bearded devils are hit hard and blinded temporarily.

** Combat Round 1 **
spoiler: show
BD3 is flat-footed until round 2.
BD1 & BD2 are blinded (-2 AC & loss of Dexterity bonus & suffer 50% miss penalty to on successful hit)

Initiative Order:
The Devils
You guys

Updated Tactical Map:
Image
Notes:
1) The desk can be moved diagonally around.
2) The door is shut

Current Party Conditions:
Code: Select all
Phaeral:    26/26 HP remaining
Ashleigh:   18/21 HP remaining; DR3/Cold Iron; 3 dmg + Infernal Wound
Gothrom:    39/39 HP remaining
Rhan:       14/26 HP remaining; 12 dmg + Infernal Wound
Jael:       17/30 HP remaining; 13 dmg

Rhan Spells Cast:
Wand of CLW (Rahn): 30 Charges remaining

Enemy Status:
Code: Select all
Erinyes: 14 dmg; Lightly wounded
BD1: 28 dmg; Badly wounded; Blind 1 round
BD2: 37 dmg; Very badly wounded; Blind 1 round
BD3: 14 dmg; lightly wounded


Everyone is up for round 1.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12367
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 am

Phaeral stepped back, alarmed at the sudden appearance of the devils.

Bow in hand, he drew an arrow, but wondered even then if it would do any good at all, given Ashleigh’s warning. Phaeral made a mental note to buy silver-tipped arrows, if he managed to survive this encounter.

The space was unfortunately narrow and confined, but Phaeral held steady. He aimed at the devil that looked most badly wounded. His aim was terrible, however, and he missed entirely.

spoiler: show
Free Action: 5' step to U5.
Standard Action: Fire at BD2 - 1D20+8 = [2]+8 = 10 (miss)
Move Action: None.

Current AC: 17 (14 Flat-footed / 13 Touch)
Current HP: 26/26 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Compound Longbow +1
Conditions in effect: None.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Rahn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm

The flash of light caught Rahn completely by surprise and after seeing the results, he curses. Apparently the devil already knew who was responsible for ruining his plans and was one step ahead of the group in his quest for vengeance. The cleric grabs his spear and hopes it's magical properties can hurt these creatures as he stabs the most wounded one. "Die! Fiends!"

spoiler: show
Free Action: speech
Move Action: na
Standard Action: attack BD2, 1d20+6=23, 18+2+1=, messed up the damage roll, so here's the damage: 1d8+3=4


Current AC: 19 (17 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) without shield / 21 (19 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) with shield
Current HP: 26/26 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: longspear
condition in effect: na
Spells Remaining:

Guidance (0-level) 1/1
Guidance (0-level) 1/1
Light (0-level) 1/1
Bless (1st-level) 2/2
Magic Weapon (1st) 1/1
Longstrider (travel) 1/1
Hold Person (2nd) 1/1
Silence (2nd) 1/1
Spiritual Weapon(domain) 1/1

Destroy Undead (DC12; 2d6 dmg): 3/3 remaining
User avatar
Rahn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 am

Ashleigh opens the door to the office and steps through to get out of reach of the nasty looking glaives. She sees Phaeral's arrow miss after he took a nasty wound [12 dmg] from the bearded devil in front of him that took advantage of him nocking the arrow and aiming. She calls out, "You okay, Phaeral. Hopefully help will come."

<ZAPP!> The Eldritch Blast hits the middle devil of the trio, but has no apparent effect.

Realizing they are in deep trouble, she yells down the hallway, "Anyone hear me! We are being attacked! Come quick!"

spoiler: show
Move Action: Open door
Free Action: Talking & 5ft step to V3
Standard Action: Ranged touch on BD2; Eldritch blast to beat SR (1d20+6=12, 2d6+1=8, 1d20+3=15)

Current AC: 18 (15 Flat-footed / 13 Touch)
Current HP: 21/21 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: MWK Shortspear
Conditions in effect: DR3/Cold Iron; Darkvision & See Invisible


Updated Map:
spoiler: show
Image


Gothrom left to finish Round 1
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
User avatar
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Gothrom (NPC'd) steps forward, drawing his shield and tries to finish the middle of the bearded devils and even the odds some. He is able to penetrate the creature's thick hide while it cannot see the incoming blow. Some of the wound immediately closes, but he manages to at least wound the creature some more [9 dmg, 4 after DR]. The magical properties of his and Rahn's weapons are just not enough to damage the creatures fully.

Image
The Erinyes steps forward, following the priest. She catches him once more with another slash across his chest [9 dmg]. The man manages to stay on his feet and the desk protects him from the second swing of her sword. The winged woman taunts, "Your pitiful god cannot save you. Come out from behind the desk and this ends quickly."

Image
The Barbazu in front of Rahn slashes at the cleric, but the armor protects him from that wicked weapon, turning the blade aside. Afterward the devil is no longer blinded.

The wounded Barbazu leaves its glaive in his off hand and he swipes at the dwarf in front of him with a claw for a minor wound [4dmg]. Then it returns his hand to grip the polearm with two hands keeping the archer threatened with the saw-toothed blade. Afterward the devil is no longer blinded.

The third one, steps back to strike at Gothrom with its glaive, but fails to hit the dwarf, his shield deflecting the polearm's blade down to the floor causing sparks from its impact on the stone.

For Rahn, Phaeral, and Ashleigh, the infernal wounds from those nasty glaives, continue to seep blood and get worse [2 dmg].

Image
Father Darrenson steps back into the corner and invokes a Divine blessing, "May Heironeous bless your weapons with His Glory!"



** Combat Round 2 **
spoiler: show
Your weapons are considered weapons of Good Alignment now (5 rounds)

Initiative Order:
The Devils
You guys

Updated Tactical Map:
Image
Notes:
1) The desk can be moved diagonally around.
2) The door is open

Current Party Conditions:
Code: Select all
Phaeral:    12/26 HP remaining; 2 dmg ongoing
Ashleigh:   16/21 HP remaining; DR3/Cold Iron; 2 dmg ongoing
Gothrom:    35/39 HP remaining; 4 dmg
Rhan:       12/26 HP remaining; 2 dmg ongoing
Jael:       08/30 HP remaining; 9 dmg

Rhan Spells Cast:
Wand of CLW (Rahn): 30 Charges remaining

Enemy Status:
Code: Select all
Erinyes: 14 dmg; Lightly wounded
BD1: 28 dmg; Badly wounded;
BD2: 41 dmg; Almost dead;
BD3: 14 dmg; lightly wounded


Everyone is up for round 2.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12367
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:31 pm

“I’m okay, Ash,” Phaeral managed to bite out. “You okay?”

Even nearly being squeezed to death by a giant snake was not as bad as the pain that Phaeral felt now. His face was pale and dotted by cold sweat. His breathing was shallow. His hand shook, just a little, as he reached for his next arrow. After a second Phaeral quelled the motion. The devils still lurked closely enough to threaten him with their deadly glaives.

Regretfully, he dropped his black bow to the ground and pulled the decoy longsword from its sheath. He had not yet gotten around to pulling off the symbol of Heironeous from the top of the blade, so for all intents and purposes, it still appeared to be the holy relic. It made the spell that Father Darrenson cast on it all the more ironic.

Stepping forward, he struck at the wounded demon with his sword, hoping to at least maim it somewhat.

spoiler: show
Free Action: Drop bow.
Move Action: Draw longsword.
5’ step to T4.
Standard Action: Attack BD2 - 1d20+4=14
Damage (in case it hits) 1d8+1=4

Current AC: 17 (14 Flat-footed / 13 Touch)
Current HP: 12/26 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Masterwork Longsword.
Conditions in effect: None.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Back in Father Darrenson's Office [IC]

Postby Rahn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:12 pm

"Damn their infernal hides!, " Rahn curses as he steps in front of the doorway. Seeing the scout join the fiends in melee, the cleric lays his hands on his back and channels some divine healing to close the worst of the scouts wounds. Rahn then tries to make himself small so as to not block Ashleigh's zaps.


spoiler: show
Free Action: speech
Move Action: 5ft step to U3
Standard Action: Touch of healing on Phaeral for 6hp

Current AC: 19 (17 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) without shield / 21 (19 Flat-footed / 11 Touch) with shield
Current HP: 26/26 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: longspear
condition in effect: na
Spells Remaining:

Guidance (0-level) 1/1
Guidance (0-level) 1/1
Light (0-level) 1/1
Bless (1st-level) 2/2
Magic Weapon (1st) 1/1
Longstrider (travel) 1/1
Hold Person (2nd) 1/1
Silence (2nd) 1/1
Spiritual Weapon(domain) 1/1

Destroy Undead (DC12; 2d6 dmg): 3/3 remaining
User avatar
Rahn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Next

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron