Grp C: Hunting the Barghest [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 am

Ashleigh, with Fido alongside, accompanies Phaeral out of the cathedral while Raddick and Rahn are dealing with the dead barghest. On the way out she picks up Raddick's Everburning torch to make sure it isn't left behind and uses it for illumination.

As the scout pauses to look around in the darkness, she looks around as well with her mage sight and doesn't see anyone within 60 feet.

She asks, "Those magical lens really work well? Do they allow you to see in darkness too?" But Phaeral's shaking of his head answers her second question, "no".

"I guess you need the light from the torch then. I will carry it for you."

spoiler: show
Move Action: None
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 18 (15 Flat-footed / 13 Touch)
Current HP: 21/21 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: MWK Shortspear & Everburning Torch
Conditions in effect: DR3/Cold Iron; Darkvision & See Invisible
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

Re: Grp C: Hunting the Barghest [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:35 pm

“Thanks, Ashleigh. Let’s walk together so we can have the advantage of both the magical lenses and the light. Not that you need the light.”

Phaeral smiled. Seeing in darkness was a remarkable gift to have.

Once he made sure everyone else was ready, Phaeral stepped out of the cathedral and began leading the way back, the black bow in his hands.

He glanced over at the red-headed warlock.

“So you really like Raddick, huh?” he asked. “I think you really surprised him back there. He hasn’t really looked over at you since.”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Rahn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Once Raddick has finished trussing up the body on the fiend on the glaive, Rahn takes his end and helps Raddick move the body. He then follows the fighter's lead as the two head outside to follow the others.
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:28 am

Ashleigh pauses, thinking about the answer to Phaeral's question.

After a moment, she replies, "Well, he is big and strong. Not bad looking either, a little cute. If you can get past those crude and rough mannerisms, his heart appears to be in the right place."

"Mostly I did that to make him behave. However, I am curious to see what it might be like, but it is rather late."

With Rahn and Raddick exiting the Cathedral with Gothrom and Kaedyn, she doesn't continue that conversation.

Move Action: None
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 18 (15 Flat-footed / 13 Touch)
Current HP: 21/21 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: MWK Shortspear & Everburning Torch
Conditions in effect: DR3/Cold Iron; Darkvision & See Invisible
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

Postby Kaedyn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:34 am

Kaedyn approaches the scout and warlock who have been looking around the abandoned cathedral's exterior for more goblins or whatever. He suggests, "Let us head to the militia barracks next to the Adventurer's Guild. I am sure the duty sergeant will be interested in our report and will probably wake the Constable, if she is even asleep."

The knight follows along behind the pair, leaving Gothrom to bring up the rear behind the two carrying the wolf-fiend corpse.

Move Action:
Free Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 17 (19 with Heavy Shield)
Current HP: 18/25 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Guisarme (2 hands)
Javelins: 5/5 remaining

Current Conditions: Knight's Code: No flanking bonus used, No attacking flat-footed opponents, Never deal lethal damage to a helpless foe.
Knight's Challenge (7 rounds): 1/3 remaining
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 am

A short walk later finds you in front of the militia barracks, ringing the iron knocker on the sturdy wooden door. After checking through the little window and getting a good look at the scout, the warlock, and more importantly the knight of Heironeous, the guard slides the window shut and opens the door.

The militia guard sends for the duty sergeant and when he arrives, he asks, "What is that you want at this time of night?" He eyes Raddick suspiciously, but the presence of the big knight is enough to keep things civil.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 am

Dutifully, Phaeral stepped forward to explain.

“Sergeant, we received a message from Constable Whitewood earlier in the day. She explained that several citizens had been attacked by a foul beast overnight. She charged us with taking care of the beast and making sure the citizenry was safe.”

He stepped back slightly, so the sergeant could have a clear view of the dead wolf fiend tied to the makeshift spit.

“The creature was otherworldly, with magical abilities. It could change into the form of a large goblin, and also materialize in and out of reality. My companions and I were able to slay the beast. We wanted the Constable to know. I’m sure you see the importance of informing her right away, since there are probably extra patrols roaming the city in order to protect innocent folk.”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Rahn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Rahn stands outside the barracks, holding up his end of the glaive. He let's the scout do the talking, having nothing to add.
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby PMiller » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:37 pm

The sergeants grunts, "Alright, wait right here." He gives Raddick a glare as he turns away and sends a militiaman to inform the Constable of her visitors.

A few moments later Dara Whitewood appears. She is a tall woman, seasoned looking but not past her prime yet. Her light colored hair is shoulder length and flowing free. She is wearing an excellent breastplate and has a longsword sheathed at her waist. Her movements are one of confident authority as she strides to the barracks gate.

At first she has an expression akin to looking at her dog when it brings a dead rabbit to show her, but soon it is replaced with curiosity.

"What's this I hear about a dead magical beast? Are you saying that... thing was responsible for the brutal murders last night?" She indicates the dead Arzethel strung on the polearm between Raddick and Rahn.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:50 pm

After the sergeant left them, Phaeral looked at Raddick with raised brows.

He recalled what Raddick had mentioned earlier, about a Sergeant Watson’s sister and a certain disagreement. He did not particularly want to speculate about had happened, exactly, though he could guess.

When the Constable appeared, Phaeral nodded.

“Yes, Constable. This is the creature we tracked from the ruined keep. It killed those people you told us about. Father Darrenson of the church of Heironeous was the one who originally engaged our services to look for a missing knight and holy relic of the church that he had been carrying. In our investigation, we found that a fiend named Worang and a Githyanki woman named Zarneve were conspiring with some tiefling bandits in the whole matter. This creature,” he said, pointing at the dead wolf fiend, “Was named Arzethel. He led a goblin band and was to meet Zarneve in an abandoned cathedral in the slums on the west side of town to give payment for the theft of the sword. The cathedral was once a chapel to a deity called Barlane, but now apparently was a hideout and meeting place for the githyanki.”

Phaeral paused. He knew it was a lot to digest at once.

“In any case, we dealt with Arzethel, the goblins, Zarneve, the githyanki, and the fiend Worang. We recovered the sword for the church, and hopefully Callenburg will be a little safer tonight.”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:51 am

Constable Whitewood listens as Phaeral explains, nodding in understanding.

Moving forward, she takes a closer look at the dead beast, kneeling to examine the claws and teeth.

"This certainly looks like a creature that could have torn up the victims from last night. Good work in ridding us of this blight. I will send some militia in the morning to examine that abandoned cathedral and then lock it up tight until the Council decides what to do about the place."

"You two can deposit the carcass over there."
She gestures to a spot just inside the gate to the barracks, off to the side.

Once Raddick and Rahn do that, she waits patiently as they untie the beast and coil the rope away.

Then she turns back to the scout and asks, "Is there anything else this evening? If not, I bid you good night."
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Raddick » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:02 am

Raddick has wisely kept his mouth shut during this altercation. The sergeant doesn't have a personal grudge, but he is definitely friends with the one that does. Even though Constable Whitewood is the one that approved him being shitcanned, she is too much the professional to acknowledge the past as Raddick has proven himself in other ways.

Coiling up he rope, he tucks it away into his backpack and shoulders the glaive. He whispers to Rahn, "Mate, before we retire for the night, can you hit us up with some healing spells?"

He edges closer to Ashleigh, figuring that afterwards they will head next door to the Guild's tavern for a drink of ale and hit the sack.

Free Action:
Standard Action:
Move Action:

Current AC: 20 (21 w/ Dodge) (20 Flat-footed / 12 Touch / 22 with Shield)
Current HP: 16/31 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Glaive
Javelins: 5/5 remaining
Conditions in effect: Bless +1 Attack

Fido:
Actions: Guard Ashleigh

Current AC: 16 (14 flat-footed / 12 Touch)
Current HP: 17/17 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Bite +3 (1d6+3)
Scout in the Adventurer's Guild: Raddick Thom
Raddick
Legend
Legend

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Phaeral shook his head.

“No, that’s all, Constable. Thank you for seeing us at such a late hour. If you have any need for a group to take care of some dangerous task on behalf of the city in the future, please think of us.”

He bowed, in a polite manner, then turned to leave with the others.

“Well, let’s get back to the Guild. I’m tired, but I could use an ale. Anyone up for a drink before we retire?”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Rahn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:19 pm

"Aye, I could use a drink, " says Rahn as they turn to leave from the barracks after turning over the body of the fiend. Once out of sight a little ways, the cleric expends the rest of his divine energy healing Raddick and the next most wounded person.

CMW on Raddick, and CLW on the next most wounded person
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby Kaedyn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:18 am

Kaedyn waves away the healing from Rahn, indicating he should take care of Gothrom instead. He comments, "They will take care of me back at the Chapter House."

"You all should enjoy your celebration of success but, I will have to pass on the drink nyself. Thank you for keeping me alive and letting me help in dealing with the foul beast. When you divvy up the loot, please send my share to the Chapter House."

"I will report back to Father Darrenson and inform him of our success. Perhaps I shall see you tomorrow when you return to see the results of his translating the rest of the dispatches."

"Good night, and sleep well."

The knight clasps forearms with everyone and waves farewell as he departs.
Kaedyn
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Group C Threads