Grp C: Hunting the Barghest [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Grp C: Hunting the Barghest [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:36 am

Shortly after leaving the Guild's Common Room, you find yourselves together just outside the gates of Callenburg. Following the rough directions the padre gave you isn't difficult. After a couple hours you come upon the sight of the ruined keep on the top of a small hillock. You are still more than a few yards away, underbrush and light forest keeping you out of sight from any potential watchers on the ramparts.

Image

You will have to cross at least a hundred yards of mostly open ground to reach the faintly worn path that leads towards the graded approach to the gate. From this distance you see no signs of any habitation or these half-fiendish tieflings.

spoiler: show
OOC: I would like a rough marching order for when I actually place you on the next map. You can use this tactical grid to lay it out; direction of travel is West.

Image
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:16 am

Phaeral was in the lead, as usual, his shortbow in hand.

He paused and knelt down just within the forest’s edge, then turned back and looked at the others.

“Should we circle around to see if there’s another approach? Or do you guys just want to try to get to the path as directly as possible? Since it’s on a hillock, we might have trouble climbing up to the keep itself. And not to mention that we probably couldn’t scale the wall.”

Though he had posed the issue as a question for the others, Phaeral now saw that they probably had little choice in the matter.

“You sure you haven’t figured out how to fly yet, Ashleigh?”

spoiler: show
I imagine Phaeral will take the lead at L25, when they go.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Gothrom watches the ruined keep in the distance for a long time, scowling, then grunts in frustration as he turns to his companions. "They'll be raining arrows on our heads", he grumbles, not liking what he is seeing. "And we lack the tools to climb the walls or break through the gates." They could go around, but he doubts that they would find a better approach; whoever built the keep would have seen to that.

He begins playing with some of the knots in his beard as he reflects on the situation. "We should wait for them to leave, the priest said that they wouldn't be there long, so maybe we can catch them on their way out." Of course, they would have to make sure that the thieflings are not already gone, and hope that whatever they are up to cannot be accomplished from within the Keep. "Or maybe one of us could scale the walls alone, without bringing attention to hisself, and open the gates for the rest. If we can't climb, maybe we could get them to let one of us in somehow..."

spoiler: show
If we're gonna approach the Keep directly, I think that we should put Raddick and Gothrom in the front. Their defense is higher, and Phaeral and Ashleigh could use them for cover as they fire back at the hypothetical foes on the wall. No?
Last edited by Gothrom on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Rahn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:34 am

Rahn travels along with the others, a little stiff from his new armor. When the group approaches the keep, Rahn frowns and grips his crossbow tighter. These fiends have picked a good place to hole up,the man thinks to himself.

Turning to the others, Rahn nods in agreement with Gothrom, "Aye, they'd probably see us long before we get to the gates. Perhaps we should try at night if we go that approach? In any case, I think some one should scout around the keep just to be sure that the front door is the only entrance. The rest of us can watch the gate for trouble."


spoiler: show
Rahn will be in the back/middle, L27 is a good place as any.
User avatar
Rahn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 am

“Hmm.”

Phaeral nodded after a moment.

“That’s a really good point, Gothrom. Do you guys want me to circle around and see if there’s another way in, or if there’s a place to scale the wall? I’m not a bad climber. I might be able to scale the wall. Too bad I didn’t think to buy more advanced climbing supplies in town first.”

spoiler: show
Good idea, Gothrom. If we go the direct approach, we should follow your suggestion about positioning.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Phaeral Oeri wrote:“You sure you haven’t figured out how to fly yet, Ashleigh?”

Ashleigh closes her eyes and concentrates real hard for a full minute. She opens her eyes and looks to Phaeral, "No, still cannot fly."

Not really known for her tactical acumen, she enjoys the pleasant walk and listens to the advice of the more experienced adventurers. At some point she offers up for consideration, "If we do have to trade arrows with them, I can effectively zap any archers from 250 feet away. That would be to our advantage, no?"

spoiler: show
OOC: L28 then? Right behind Rahn
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
User avatar
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Raddick » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Raddick agrees with the idea of taking a better look, "Yes, let us get more information from some scouting. By all means, Phaeral have at it while us clankers stay put." He gestures to include himself and Rahn for staying put.

"When it comes time to storm the place, a little shock and awe would be good. I can be right up front in the vanguard."

"But these tieflings, can they see in the dark? I sure as shit cannot, like the dwarf here. So a night assault will be harder to keep under wraps."
Scout in the Adventurer's Guild: Raddick Thom
User avatar
Raddick
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 am
Location: Realms around Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 pm

“Keep trying, Ashleigh. I’m sure you’ll get it one day.”

Phaeral turned to the others.

“Okay guys. I’ll be back shortly.”

Phaeral stepped into the woods and disappeared. His intent was to make a full circle around the keep, noting any guards or things of interest. He wanted to judge the height of the walls and if he could easily scale them or not. Then he would return to his friends and tell them what he found.

spoiler: show
Rolled two each of everything.

Hide: 1d20+8=9, 1d20+8=18
Move Silently: 1d20+8=23, 1d20+8=9

Spot: 1d20+7=22, 1d20+7=25
Listen: 1d20+7=11, 1d20+7=24
Search: 1d20+7=11, 1d20+7=10
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Rahn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:18 pm

"Clunkers, eh" Rahn smirks at Raddicks remark. Rahn hadn't know the man long enough to form an opinion, but Raddick appeared to be competent.

While watching Phaeral head off to scout around the keep, Rahn comments on the question of tiefling's seeing in the dark, "Not sure, but being offspring of fiends, probably. If we try this at night, I do have a spell to make an item light up like a torch. Maybe cast if on a rag and tie it around your helmet?"

Pausing for a second, Rahn continues, "Well, if we charge, I'll be right behind you with the longspear."
User avatar
Rahn
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 pm

It doesn't take long for Phaeral to work himself along to the north and get a look at the gate area. From this angle he suspects the gate is not intact, but it is hard to be sure. The walls appear to be 10-15 feet high from the top of the slope leading up to them and the one tower of the keep is about 25-30 feet tall. The slope itself steepens at the base of the walls to add about 15 more feet of elevation. The cleared away area surrounding the keep gently slopes up as well.

Despite being ruins, the walls and tower appear to be mostly intact, with only a few pieces of rubble tumbled down at the base of the small hill. There are no breaches in the walls and only one entrance. You appear to have them trapped inside.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 pm

"If we are to attack at night", Gothrom adds to the conversation. "I don't be thinking that we want to use a torch. My eyes can guide us until we reach their walls, and their eyes are unlikely to be able to spot us from a great distance, from their height, if their eyes are like ours." He doubts that the vision of half-fiends is superior to that of the dwarves, who are used to living in caves deep into the mountains, but he supposes that it is possible.

"But I'm not sure that it be worth waiting 'till nightfall"
, he continues, turning towards Ashleigh. "If ya can zap them from afar, maybe Raddick and myself can just try to hide behind our shields as we approach and watch ya zap them everytime they make the mistake of poking their ugly horned heads over the walls!"

spoiler: show
Wrote that before PMiller posted, but it's still relevant. Will post again to acknowledge the new information in the morning.

Too sleepy now.
User avatar
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Raddick » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Raddick chuckles at Rahn's comment, "You might clunk, but my armor is more of a clanking and scrapping of the plates." He emphasizes his point with a torso twist and few steps. At this distance, he is not worried about being overhead by anyone at the keep.

More seriously he says, "I don't need any magical assistance with light, mate. I got it covered. I specially put a loop holder for either my everburning torch or a sunrod. It positions the illumination source right over my shoulder so I can see, without getting blinded by looking directly into it while fighting. And my hands are free for more important things. Only cost a few silver to get the work done."

"But I would agree with Gothrom's assessment. Using illumination would attract attention on approach. But if we come under fire and do our best to dodge the arrows we can probably make it unless they get really lucky."


spoiler: show
OOC: Referring to using Total Defense under fire to approach. +4AC Dodge will pretty much mean a natural 20 to hit against Raddick, but he would only advance 20 feet per round. But with them dodging eldritch blast from beyond their first range increment, Ashleigh can probably hold her own in such and engagement.

BTW, I am trying to make sure Raddick's opinions are completely without having insider knowledge. I have had a fair amount of practice with this in WERE. While I don't think I would deliberately have him be wrong to throw you off track on something, he may not be right either 100% either.
Scout in the Adventurer's Guild: Raddick Thom
User avatar
Raddick
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 am
Location: Realms around Callenburg

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:03 am

Phaeral returned to report to the others what he found.

“The walls look intact. There won’t be an easy way to scale them, but it also means they won’t be able to run out the back, either, unless there is some kind of tunnel inside.”

He shrugged.

“The gate actually looks like it might be broken in some way. We might be able to slip through it, if that’s the case.”

Phaeral paused to consider.

“Maybe we should attack now. Maybe they are waiting for cover of darkness too. We might be able to get to the keep with Gothrom guiding us, but once we are there, we could be at a disadvantage when fighting inside.”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Fido's ears perk up and he looks back into the lightly wooded forest. Perhaps someone is coming or maybe there is some active wildlife.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Grp C: Storming the Keep [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 am

Phaeral turned in the direction that Fido was looking.

He knelt down and peered into the trees, straining to hear any stray or odd sounds. He knew that the canine’s senses were stronger than his own, so he might not be able to detect anything.

“What is it boy? Do you hear something?”
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Next

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron