GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Phaeral leads Ashleigh and Brunhilde back down the trail towards the beach where they waded or swam ashore. Everything appears to be quiet and they settle into a decent pace.

Updated Map:
spoiler: show
Image

OOC: Need to know if that's the spacing you want and how fast you are moving, normal speed or hustling.

Also confirm that is the correct marching order. Given Brunhilde changing to carrying her battle axe in hand, perhaps you would rather not have her bring up the rear. I am fine with only one of you making the decision, but I won't be able to update until tomorrow so I can given both of you a day to decide.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11981
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Brunhilde » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:04 pm

'After you' said Brunhilde, giving Phaeral a mock bow. Once the scout had set off, Brunhilde allowed Ashleigh to go next while she brought up the rear.

spoiler: show
Happy with that order and spacing if everyone else is; not sure what hustling entails but I'm happy to go at 'normal' speed unless the other two think we need to move quicker - we're all on 30' move anyway I think. Brunhilde will stick with Battleaxe and Shield - the whole throwing axe idea hasn't really happened and if we run into anything now, it will be her responsibility to engage it while Phaeral and Ashleigh shoot from range
Adventurer's Guild: Brunhilde
User avatar
Brunhilde
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:52 am

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 pm

“Thank you, miss,” Phaeral returned with a smile.

He led the group with his shortbow in hand, cautious and careful as always. They kept up at a normal pace, neither rushing nor going slow.

spoiler: show
I am also okay with the pacing and order of things.
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:59 pm

As you are moving along at a decent pace, Phaeral has been keeping sharp eye out for signs of pirates and lizard-folk hiding behind bushes and trees, but failed to detect a snake. The creature was sunning itself on the trail and its camouflage scales caused it to blend into the terrain and escaped notice until he almost stepped on it and it struck [7 damage]. The snake's bite is powerful, but not fanged, and it manages to wrap its coils around the scout very quickly with the intent of squeezing the life out of him.

** Combat Round 1 **
Both sides are aware now (failed the spot check I rolled) and you are no longer flatfooted. Phaeral is grappled.

Tactical Map and Notes:
spoiler: show
Image
Notes:
1. Small bushes providing 10% concealment unless you drop prone behind them for 25% concealment. Cost 1.5 movement to move through
2. Large bushes provide cover, and 50% concealment if prone behind. Cost 1.5 move through if cover 50% of square, 2x if almost 100%.

Code: Select all
Phaeral:    11/18 HP remaining; grappled
Ashleigh:   11/14 HP remaining
Brunhilde:  13/20 HP remaining


Initiative:
You guys
The snake

[You guys are up for Round 1.]
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11981
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:01 am

“Oh my god, oh my god, ow, this really hurts!”

Phaeral’s face was flushed and his eyes were wide and frantic as he struggled in the grip of the giant snake. If someone had told him that morning that a giant snake was going to squeeze the life out of him later that afternoon, he would have laughed.

The snake was not slimy, as he imagined, but rather, smooth and warm. Its scales felt like iron, hard and unyielding. Already he could feel his chest compressing with pressure.

His eyes flew to Brunhilde and Ashleigh, silently beseeching.

He struggled to get out of the snake’s grasp, trying to slip free from its coils. Phaeral was leanly built, with a wiry frame and lithe muscularity. His best chance was to wriggle away, rather than try to break the snake’s hold.

spoiler: show
Escape Artist check: 1d20+2=15
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Brunhilde » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:44 am

Brunhilde was struggling to keep her mind on the job. A successful raid against the pirates, a load of loot and the warm sun on her face meant her concentration wasn't all it might be until she was shaken back to the present by a cry. Looking around, she saw Phaeral in the grip of a snake, which had obviously decided that rather than slither off when disturbed, it was going to take it out on the source of said disturbance.

Muttering a quick admonishment for her carelessness (and a note of thanks that she was at the front of the line!), the halfling looked for a place where she could strike the serpent without fear of slicing up her friend while she was doing so.

spoiler: show
You'll have to refresh my memory on attacking into a grapple - can't find anything in the SRD but I seem to recall melee attacks are fine, it's firing into a grapple that causes issues. Assuming it is safe to attack, Brunhilde will do so.

Question: seems a bit metagamish to run round in a circle to get the skirmish bonus just cos I know that (I presume) no AoO from the snake as it is grappling. Allowed? Cheesy? I want to get Phaeral out of there ASAP, so damage seems the best way.

Move action - move to striking range (if required) or run about a bit for bonuses ;)
Standard action - attack snake 1d20+4=23
Damage 1d6+2=5

I'll let the GM decide on the extra 1D6...
Adventurer's Guild: Brunhilde
User avatar
Brunhilde
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:52 am

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:02 am

Ashleigh exclaims, "EEEK! I hate snakes, quick, QUICK! Kill it! It might be poisonous. Oooh, poor Phaeral is going to suffer black death now." Once the scout is clear of the snakes coils, she steps back and zaps the sucker, leaving a light scorching mark on the scaly hide.

spoiler: show
Free Action: 5 ft step to J23
Standard Action: Ranged Touch; Eldritch blast hits for 4 damage.
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
User avatar
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:18 am

Phaeral breaks free from the coils and takes a step back [Took the liberty for you, since escape was only standard action] to make the way clear for Brunhilde and Ashleigh to assist. Brunhilde does her end run to come at the snake from the other side and chops the snake for a decent, yet light wound [rolled a 1 on skirmish damage].

After being scorched and chopped the snake writhes and strikes at the axe wielder, in an attempt to possibly swallow the halfling whole. The bite is nasty [6 damage] to the already wounded barbarian, but she manages to fend off the coils that attempt to wrap around her.

** Combat Round 2 **

Tactical Map and Notes:
spoiler: show
Image
Notes:
1. Small bushes providing 10% concealment unless you drop prone behind them for 25% concealment. Cost 1.5 movement to move through
2. Large bushes provide cover, and 50% concealment if prone behind. Cost 1.5 move through if cover 50% of square, 2x if almost 100%.

Code: Select all
Phaeral:    11/18 HP remaining
Ashleigh:   11/14 HP remaining
Brunhilde:  07/20 HP remaining

Snake @ -10HP


Initiative:
You guys
The snake

[You guys are up for Round 2.]
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11981
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Ashleigh » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:23 am

Ashleigh shrieks in despair, "YEOW, not you too, Brunhilde! Oh no, you both are going to turn green." In her panic over possibly losing her companions, her aim is a little off and she zaps the ground right next to the snake, barely missing.

spoiler: show
Free Action: Talking
Standard Action: Ranged Touch missed only able to hit Touch AC 12.
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
User avatar
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 am

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:18 pm

“No, no, it’s okay,” Phaeral said, quickly. He took a single, careful step back while he drew an arrow from his quiver, which fortunately seemed undamaged in spite of the fact he’d nearly been crushed.

“Either they squeeze you to death or they poison you, but not both. I think.”

Phaeral lined up a shot, trying to get a good bead on the shifting coils without risking hitting Brunhilde in the process.

“Hang on, Brunhilde!” he yelled, then nocked his arrow and loosed it. His arm was still trembling, however, and the arrow sailed just over the snake’s coils.

spoiler: show
Free action: talking.
5" step back to H21.
Standard action: attack snake - 1d20+5=10
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Brunhilde » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:00 am

'OW!' squeaks the halfling as the snake lashes out at her. Up close, Brunhilde realises that something as small as her will struggle to escape the serpent's clutches if it manages to wrap its coils round her. A sudden thought of the snake lying basking in the sun, with a large lump in its belly, flashes through her mind...

'Get off' she cries, swiping at it with her axe and trying to move away from its equally lethal fangs.

spoiler: show
Attack 1d20+4=20
Damage 1d6+2=5
Adventurer's Guild: Brunhilde
User avatar
Brunhilde
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:52 am

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:02 am

Brunhilde's axe bites again leaving the snake heavily wounded, while Phaeral's arrow missed.

<<Snake at -15HP and still fighting. Waiting on Rhan and Gothrom to post before advancing.>>
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11981
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 am

The snake coils around, twisting trying to get past the barbarian halfling's defenses. The lighting quick maw is just not fast enough to get a hold of the small woman, butting its snout into her shield causing no harm.

** Combat Round 3 **

Tactical Map and Notes:
spoiler: show
Image
Notes:
1. Small bushes providing 10% concealment unless you drop prone behind them for 25% concealment. Cost 1.5 movement to move through
2. Large bushes provide cover, and 50% concealment if prone behind. Cost 1.5 move through if cover 50% of square, 2x if almost 100%.

Code: Select all
Phaeral:    11/18 HP remaining
Ashleigh:   11/14 HP remaining
Brunhilde:  07/20 HP remaining

Snake @ -15HP


Initiative:
You guys
The snake

[You guys are up for Round 3.]
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 11981
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Brunhilde » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 am

Brunhilde desperately fended off the angry reptile. 'I thought...*huff*....these things were supposed to be....*puff*...more frightened of us!' she gasped as she ducked and dodged the sharp fangs. 'GO AWAY!' she wailed, swatting at the snake with her axe.

spoiler: show
Attack 1d20+4=20

OC: Consistently good - my dice karma must be balancing out from my old tabletop game!

Damage 1d6+2=6
Adventurer's Guild: Brunhilde
User avatar
Brunhilde
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:52 am

Re: GrpC: Return to the ship [IC]

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 am

Phaeral grimaced.

“I think I stepped on his tail,” he admitted, a little sheepishly. “He probably thought he was being attacked out of nowhere, and…”

He made a helpless gesture even as he circled around to get a better bead on the snake, which was writhing around alarmingly, still trying to eat Brunhilde. Phaeral drew another arrow and fired. His heart sang as he saw the arrow land deeply into the snake's scaly body.

spoiler: show
Move action: to I23.
Standard action: fire at snake: 1d20+5=23
Damage: 1d6=2
Skirmish Damage: 1d6=6
User avatar
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Next

Return to Group C Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron