Grp C: Investigating the Coast [IC]

The adventures of Phaeral, Nikhil, Kaedyn, and Dorn.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Grp C: Investigating the Coast [IC]

Postby Gothrom » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 am

When Phaeral suggests giving MacCoy a small bonus, Gothrom nods in agreement. "Aye, if we be needing gold, we can always go back to my homeland and dig for it", he says, sharing a bit of dwarven wisdom. "But ya can't dig for friends, especially friends with ships." If you try, you're most likely to come up with creatures from the underdark, and they ain't friendly.

Back in Seawell, Gothrom frowns at MacCoy's suggestion that they release the orc. "So he could come back and bite us in the arse when we don't expect it? I think not", he grumbles, misliking the idea. He could see himself agreeing to let the orc live, but only in a situation where he would be closely watched and controlled. Letting it loose would only be giving it a second chance at evil. "Execution sounds fine to me. He won't be bothering anyone if he's dead!"
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 am

“Yeah, I guess we better turn him over to the constable. We shouldn’t be taking justice into our hands anyway.”

Phaeral turned to Captain McCoy.

“Here’s the rest of your payment, Captain.”

He handed McCoy ten gold.

“And we discussed it, and we would like you to have this, to thank you for your service and professionalism. We hope to work with you again.”

Phaeral gave the captain the additional twenty gold that Ashleigh had suggested they give. They had made a lot of money on their venture, and it wouldn’t hurt to spread their good fortune.
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Brunhilde » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 pm

'Yes, thanks very much, Captain' says Brunhilde, beaming up at the man. 'And your crew, too'.

On the subject of the prisoner, the little halfling walks over to where Bogbad is standing. She looks up at him, as if gauging whether he is a threat or not. When Gothrom suggests that 'execution' might be in order, she winces slightly, as if strangely reluctant to see the prisoner despatched, despite the fact that if the positions were reversed he would likely not have the same scruples. 'Perhaps we should give him a chance to work off his debt or something?' she says thoughtfully. 'Not sure if he would get much of a fair crack of the whip back in the city...'.

'Alternatively, we could let him go if he can beat one of us in a fight. Fisticuffs sort of thing, no weapons. If he wins, we let him go, if he loses we turn him over to the Constable'. Winking surreptitiously at Phaeral, she continues 'of course, that would mean one of us would have to volunteer to act as group champion'. She looks at Gothrom and gives him her most winning smile!
Adventurer's Guild: Brunhilde
Brunhilde
Villager
Villager

Postby Rahn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Playing devils advocate, Rahn speaks up. "There could be a reward for turning in such a person if you all were of the greedy type. On the other hand, maybe he could make an honest living after being spared, and that would satisfy your consciousness. Maybe the captain can take him on some kind of indentured servant with the threat of death if he doesn't shape up. Honestly, I don't care either way. He participated in an act of piracy knowingly, and that is punishable by death in most lands. " Rahn shrugs as he finishes interjecting his two cents.
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby Gothrom » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Gothrom guffaws at Brunhilde's suggestion. "Yer cruel", he says, grinning wickedly. "We're all being mercyful and talking of sending him straight to the headsman or the noose, and ya be wanting me to give him the beating of his life before sending him to his death anyways? He would be welcoming it, at that point, but it's still pretty harsh". He finishes laughing and shakes his head. "Just kill the bastard. Have it done with."
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:45 pm

“No, come on, you guys,” Phaeral said.

He looked around at the others, a little alarmed at the suggestion the orc should fight for his life in a challenge against Gothrom.

“I think the point is less what’s a suitable punishment for him as it is that we shouldn’t be the ones deciding. We should bring him before the local constabulary and explain the situation. We can add that he’s been very cooperative. Perhaps they have some sort of prison work program, mucking out the sewers and such. If not, then we have to remember that he did try to kill us. He made a choice about what he did.”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Gothrom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 am

"Aye, I can agree with that", Gothrom agrees, shrugging. "Let Seawell deal with it's criminals."
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Rahn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:29 pm

"Alright then it's decided, to the constable then." Rahn nods to the others. Rahn gathers his things as the group prepares to depart the ship, and bids the captain good boy and good luck. Rahn will follow along with the others, helping to guard the prisoner lest he gets any last minute ideas.
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby Ashleigh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Ashleigh watched the byplay about the orc prisoner, staying out of the discussion. On the decision to turn him into the constable she shrugs and doesn't object.

As they are ready to go, she hoists her gear and offers her hand to the Captain, "Farewell Captain MacCoy. It was a pleasure and perhaps we shall meet again for some pirate hunting. Please send us word if you need our services, care of the Adventurer's Guild in Callenburg."

After everyone is ashore she asks, "Well, after we turn over the prisoner, what do you want to do next?"
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

Postby PMiller » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Having made your good-byes and having been transported ashore, you find yourselves with Bogbad tied up alongside your loot and gear in the waterfront area of Seawell. While being rowed ashore, you note that your presence was seen as a few boys point and run off towards the town center.

Constable Fawkes, with a few men-at-arms, and Mayor Stanton come to meet you at the waterfront area on receiving word that Captain MacCoy's ship returned and that there is a prisoner being transferred ashore.

The Constable takes one look at the orc prisoner and gestures for the guards to take custody while asking, "An orc, huh? We can take care of this vermin. Anything I should know about him?"

Mayor Stanton sees all the loot and equipment you have stacked where you have been deposited on shore and he says, "It would appear that you have encountered some opposition during your investigation. Tell me, have you earned the 250 gold coins we offered?"
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59 am

Phaeral nodded politely to the mayor. Remembering him to be a no-nonsense fellow, he stepped forward to explain.

“Yes, we have, sir, but let me explain so you can feel satisfied. First of all, on our way to the lighthouse, we encountered what we thought was a sea monster. It turned out it was a bunch of orcs in an old dragon turtle shell that had been made into a raft. They were using the ruse to attack ships – or at least, that was their plan. We might have been the first ship they tried it on. In any case, they boarded Captain McCoy’s ship and attacked us with intent to kill. We defended ourselves. That one – ”

He pointed at the prisoner.

“Gave himself up. We would like to turn him over to you for appropriate punishment, sir.”

Phaeral indicated the constable.

“And we should note that he’d been very cooperative, in spite of his crimes. However, that was not the worst crime we encountered. When we arrived at the lighthouse, we found that a band of raiders had made camp there. Apparently they were waiting for ships to crash against the shore, they they would take supplies from the wreckage. They attacked us, and we had to defend ourselves again. When we went into the lighthouse afterward, we found the lighthouse keepers had been slaughtered and their bodies left to rot.”

He paused, his face contorting slightly.

“It looked like the lighthouse keepers had children. I guess you need to send more lighthouse keepers. However, they should be able to defend themselves. The local lizard folk tribe was hostile, and attacked us. They seem to have a particular vendetta against Seawell itself.”

Phaeral turned to look at the others.

“Did I forget anything?”
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby Brunhilde » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 pm

'Seems like a fair summary to me' nods Brunhilde. 'I don't think we ever found out exactly *why* the lizardmen had such hatred for the town, but Phaeral is right: even thought we think we've got all the 'pirates', if the lizards stir up more trouble, whoever goes to repair the lighthouse will need to be handy in a fight, or need some guards or it might all go wrong again'.

She seems to think for a moment before continuing, 'compared to what the brigands did to the lighthouse keepers and their families, I think this orc didn't do too much harm. And he did seem to kind of be forced into' she adds, remembering the rather fearsome orcish female who was giving the orders, and giving Bogbad a rather sympathetic look.
Adventurer's Guild: Brunhilde
Brunhilde
Villager
Villager

Postby Rahn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:30 pm

"I agree on both accounts" Rahn says in support of both Brunhilde and Phaeral. "It is a shame that surviving pirate died on us. He, I would have like to have turned over. Oh well...."
Rahn
Hero
Hero

Postby Gothrom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Gothrom has nothing to add to Phaeral's recapitualtion of their first adventure. He does make note of her attempt to downplay his role, but he decides to keep his mouth shut for the time being, confident that the constable would be able to work out the turth simply by looking at him. Besides, he feels no need to get into an argument that may delay his scheduled date with a large cask of hopefully dwarven ale.
Gothrom
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Ashleigh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 am

Ashleigh adds, "Well we did possibly provoke the lizardfolk. We thought maybe the first one was trying to warn us off and we attacked her. It is possible that they were just paying us back the favor." But she shrugs since the point is really not important as the lizardfolk are dead anyway.

She also clarifies, "I think the raiders were using that structure in their camp as a false light house that caused ships to wreck."
Ashleigh Carlisle - Warlock in the Adventurer's Guild
Ashleigh Carlisle - Wizard in Queen for a Day
Ashleigh
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Group C Threads