Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Image - Welcome to the Wasteland.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Robin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02 am

“Yikes.”

Robin lowered the binoculars, offering them to someone else to take.

“There’s a really scary looking guy in armor over there. He has an ‘E’ stamped on the chestplate.”

He exhaled, long and slow. “They wouldn’t necessarily know where we’re from just by looking at us, would they?”

Robin shrugged.

“I mean, we traded for our clothes and packs here and unless they went through our possessions…”

He gestured meaningfully at the pack on his back. Now they had been in the Waste long enough for their hair to start growing out and the exposed parts of their faces and arms to start tanning. Maybe they weren’t as scruffy-looking as Givens was, but it could still be written off to them being sheltered, raised on an outpost very much like the one they’d rescued the children from.

“It seems like our choices are either approach them openly and see if we can talk, or just decide it’s too much risk and walk away. Hiding out or doing something weird is only going to make people like that come after us.”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Zak did not think it likely the Enclave guys in the helo marked them as being from the vault if they saw them earlier. Up close they might be able to tell. "Well, maybe if they get a look at our teeth they can tell. Don't smile, Rob. And maybe we should let Mord and Givens do more of the talking too."

"I imagine that we sound a little different and with our ignorance of certain things we could give ourselves away."

"But, unless we are going to head off and bypass this place, we might as well head on in like we got nothing to hide. I admit to being curious to find out what is going on here."

He had not thought the armor was all that scary. Intimidating was more like it and he thought that was rather cool. He wanted some.
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Mordecai » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:17 am

"Enclave alright, " Mordecai confirmed as Robyn pointed out the E marked on the soldiers armor. The scout was beginning to worry a bit, but kept that to himself.

"Well, there might be some value in finding out what they are up to. But the risk is possible getting entangled with whatever brought those guys here."

The scout scooted back out of sight and gestured for Givens to join them. Once the other wastelander joined him, he would bring him up to speed in a few short sentences.

Then looking at the teenagers, the scout shrugged.

"I will leave it up to you guys on rather to bypass or find out what is going on."
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby sirfinn » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Tying off the animals to a car wreck, Givens shuffled up, keeping low, to join the others.

With the news of the Enclave being in the settlement, Givens shrugged.
"If we enter the outpost, we learn what is happening and maybe get captured."
"We can by pass the settlement but those folk in the flying bird will know we have avoided them. Assuming the one leading them, knows what they be doin' "
"That will make us look like, we be up to mischief."

"I be thinking we go visit. We need information and out here, we get nuffin' "
"Not that I be expecting me wife to be over yonder. Finding out about the raiders from the outpost is important. At least to me."

Adding to the wisdom for the youngsters, "if yer wantin' to hide yer self more."
"Put some charcoal on yer teeth to discolour them."
"Speak slow like too. No big words."
"Do that and yous should not stick out like a boil on yer nose."

With his words said, "ya finished with the binoculars?"
sirfinn
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:45 am

Zak gestured to the binoculars that scout still held with a gesture to go ahead and take them. "I already looked."

"I am not sure I want to eat charcoal, but I can talk slow and mumble, hiding my teeth. What say you, Robin?" he asked his companion from the vault. "I am of a mind to risk it."
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:47 am

Robin shrugged.

“I don’t have any charcoal, but yeah, I can not smile and not open my mouth.”

He wasn’t big on smiling in the first place. He thought his face might crack if he tried. He was already dirty and his hair was growing out. Not that the Enclave would be able to see much of it under his scarf.

“Adults tend to ignore us or dismiss us anyway, right, because we’re young. Unless they really have reason to suspect where we’re from, they probably won’t be able to tell.”

He nodded to Givens.

“Yeah, I’m done looking too. Anyway, if you guys think it’s the right call to head over there, I’ll go too.”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Mordecai » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 am

Mordecai handed the binoculars back to Givens. The group had come to a decision to proceed into the outpost. He didn't disagree with it, but it did make him nervous.

"Alright, sounds like we are in agreement. I think we will learn something."

The scout began to moved back out of sight of the outpost and gestured the others to follow.

"Let's circle back so and then approach the outpost. Popping up suddenly might make it look like we are skulking about."

The tall lanky man made his way to the where the brahmin have been tied off and waited for the others. Once gathered, they would then proceed to the outpost.
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby sirfinn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:10 am

Givens stowed the binoculars away for later use.
He removed the two lead ropes from the spot he had tied the two brahmin earlier and waited for all to be ready.

Givens, almost showed a smile at the thought of the trio, skulking about.

Leaving the leading to Mordecai, Givens would keep control the beasts while they headed for the outpost.
'lets hope these Enclave folk are open to visitors.' he privately hoped as they started forward.
sirfinn
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Nodding, Zak backed away from their vantage overlooking the outpost maintaining the low crouch. "Alright then."

Back at the brahmin he remarked, we can probably stick all together instead sending out our scouts on the flanks ahead. Maybe Mord walks beside Givens in front of the pack animals while Rob and I bring up the rear. Then we just follow the road straight on in."

"How's that sound?"
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:31 am

“Okay, sounds good.”

Robin copied the others’ movements: stay low, back away, get back to the road. Walk normally, like the travelers they were. They were scavengers and traders. That wasn’t a lie. It would be easy enough to appear benign, since they weren’t exactly an army. Anything less was not a threat to the Enclave, unless they attacked by surprise.

Still, he felt a lump of dread like a stone stuck in his gut. He felt like this was one of those moments they could easily come to regret, asking themselves over and over again, why did I do that, but being unable to undo history.

He tugged at his scarf, fussing with the fit around his nose and mouth, then he forced himself to stop that and just keep walking like a normal person. Whatever that was anymore.
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:41 am

September 5th, Early Evening – Mint Hill outpost

The group of you proceeded to the outpost. Mordecai took point, but didn't range out ahead. He kept his rifle low and to the ground. Nonthreatening, but as if he was prepared for trouble from the wasteland wildlife. The two teenagers came next and Givens brought up the rear with the two Brahmin. From a glance, you fit the picture of some traders.

It wasn't long before the lookout spotted you. He turned to face you, but made no threatening gestures or raised his weapon. He merely watched as you approached, likely gauging if you were truly threatening.

It came quickly apparent that the lookout had radioed your arrival. As you approached the gate into the outpost, you were greeted by another soldier in power armor. He was expecting you. It also seemed that none of the wastelanders in the outpost were free from the Enclave's interview.

"State your intentions and your name, " spoke the soldier in a synthesized voice of the power armor.

spoiler: show
as a preempt, any persuasions will require applicable dice rolling
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Sticking with his role of a sullen teenager, Zak said nothing. He had his rifle slung on his left shoulder with his left thumb tucked under the strap at his shoulder. He right hand was in his pocket.

He had an expression like he really did not care what was going on around him. According to the plan, he and Rob were not supposed to talk if they could help it. He stuck to the plan for now.
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby sirfinn » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Givens shuffled forward to a spot near Mordecai, letting the two brahmin shield the lads. Speaking clearly so the guard knows his purpose, "I be Givens, a trader."
"Seeking a place to trade for the evening. Maybe even shelter for me lads and guide for the night."
"Heard and saw the after effects of a raider attack from the last settlement."
sirfinn
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:45 am

Robin waited with Zak.

He kept his eyes down and his shoulders slumped, minimizing his presence. He kept his hands at his sides, loosely curled. It was not really an act. It was what he had learned to do in the gangs. It was just easier if no one noticed you. It was easier if they thought you were insignificant, someone to be pushed around, used, and forgotten. Maybe the rifle on his shoulder spoiled that somewhat, but he wasn’t truly comfortable with it and it showed.

Givens talked like a wastelander, that was for sure. He noted the way the man conjugated verbs, noting it down. If he had to speak, he could try for a similar sort of patois, instead of the way he had been taught as a child. It wasn’t a ruse that would hold up forever, but hopefully it would pass a brief inspection.
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Mordecai » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 am

"Mordecai, " the scout answered as the soldiers question.

"I'm a scout guiding Mr. Givens and the lads. Can't never be took careful these days. Especially at the attack on the last settlement. "

They had not talked about what to say to the soldiers if asked, so Mordecai tried to not give away too much. He wasn't one to withhold information normally, but these were Enclave soldiers. The little that was said, the better. But there was limits.
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout [The Window]