Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Image - Welcome to the Wasteland.

Moderator: Herzog

Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Herzog » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:08 am

September 5th, Later Afternoon – East of Lawyer's Road

The last hour or so found the group of you on an old pre-war surface street. Many rusted out and abandoned cars lined the 4 lane road. Twisted hulks of trees crowded around the edges, with new wasteland growth struggling to survive. Off each side of the road, several ruined structures could be seen. Some looked to be houses in various states of decay, while other more sturdily built looked to have been businesses. Many had the looks of having been scavenged. An occasional wasteland critter could be seen going in and out of the structures.

Mordecai and Zak took their positions along the flanks about 100 yards ahead. It took some coordinating at first, but the two eventually worked out a way to keep ahead of the others. The scout was able to lead the way and would occasionally signal back to Samuel and Robin when a change of direction was needed. Things were going well until a constant thud thud thud could be heard in the distance. The vaulters and Samuel were unfamiliar with the sounds, but Mordecai knew what it was.

He quickly signaled the others to go to ground if possible. The sound was getting louder and seemed to come from the East.

spoiler: show
Roll survival or stealth to take cover, or d30. Handle animal or d30 for getting the Brahmin to cover.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Zak » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:49 pm

Zak was carrying his rifle in hand as well, mirroring the scout's actions. The teenager had always been decent at sneaking around and paying attention. In the vault the terrain was different, but they had been in the wasteland long enough for him to get an idea of how to do it outside now.

On the signal of danger, he did not rush, stayed in a crouch and selected a tree to take cover behind. Unfortunately it was not a thick as he would have liked, note did it have perfect bushes around it to screen him from view. It would have to do.

He laid down with his rifle pointed in the general direction of the sound. He had his eyes peeled for the source.

Rolls
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby sirfinn » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:52 pm

With Mordeca's signal to go to ground, Samuel looked for suitable cover, not just for him but the Brahmin as well. His head scanning around the nearby terrain, assessing what was available.
With little choice, he used the rusted out and abandoned cars as a shield to the east, spotting sheet of metal which might have once been a car bonnet to lay over space between two cars.
He drew his pack Brahmin into the crude shelter and got him to sit down to rest.

Once settled, Samuel lifted his newly purchased binoculars and looked east to see what was causing the sound which sparked Mordeca's signal to go to ground.

Rolls | Show
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=11499083#post11499083
Survival: Dice Roll: 1d10 d10 Results: 8
Hide: Dice Roll: 1d12 d12 Results: 11
Perception/Binoculars: Dice Roll: 1d20 d20 Results: 14
Handle Animal: Dice Roll: 1d12 d12 Results: 8

Character Sheet | Show
Character Sheet: Samuel Givens http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=809652
Amazing dexterity and balance (D8)
In great shape with impressive strength (D10)
Notable heath and stamina (D10)
Mediocre Intelligence (D12)
Fairly lucky (D12)
Not much in the way of perceiving things or noticing nuances (D20)

Brahmin Hide Trenchcoat (leather armour) (non proficient) (Armor d20)

Skills: Samuel is:

Holds his own at Melee Combat (D8)
A natural athlete (balance/climb) (1D10)
Quick to evade (Evasion!) (D10)
Skilled at making mechanical gadgets (D10)
Good when it comes to survival and not eating the red berries which are poisonous (D10)
Decent shot with a rifle (D10) (4pts D12-D10)
Effective at Hiding from trouble (D12)
Competent with a knife and throwing it. (D8) (4+5pts D12-D8)
Decent with animals (D12)
Ok with local knowledge/terrain (D20)
Ok Handyman on farm (D12) (3pts D20-D12)
An amateur hunter (D20)
Poor Dirt farmer (D30)

16pts (rifle, knife, handyman upgrades)
Skill definitions:
- Evasion! is like Super Power to evade area attacks. When first gained, starts out at d20 and if successful be used as a second attempt to avoid damage from the attack roll when Agility failed.

Gear | Show
Club/Nightstick, 5 knives, Photograph of Alison, Pipe Rifle, 20 x 9MM rounds, 1 x stim pack, Back Pack ( BP ), wasterlander clothing, Trail rations 7 days, sleeping bag/swag, pot, Eating Utensils.
Basic tool Kit, Hammer, 2 screwdrivers, Adjustible spanner x2, crowbar, Multipurpose tool, 3 canteens: 1 litre water each, Flashlight -wind up.
Brahmin hide trench coat, a pair of working binoculars
All the third sack except 6 cobs of corn was traded for radstag jerky, molerat chunks, carrots, tato and mutfruit.

Trade goods: 12 pots pots of adhesive made from plant starch, Young bull Brahmin : pack beast,
User avatar
sirfinn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Robin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am

Robin’s eyes widened as he heard the ominous sounds. It sounded like the pounding of a giant’s terrible heart, but he knew it was probably something just as bad.

He yanked the Brahmin’s lead. “Come on…come on, you dumb beast!” The beast made a strange undulating sound, resisting. Robin yanked the lead a few more times, but the beast didn’t move. Robin would think instinct alone would make the thing amble off, but it didn’t. Robin cursed and let go of the lead. He turned and ran low, crunching broken twigs with every step, rustling dry weeds and scrub. He found a spot that looked lower than the rest, and dropped, falling prone.

spoiler: show
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=11504048#post11504048

(Handle Animal 19, Stealth 12)
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Mordecai » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:49 am

After signalling the others to take cover, Mordecai dove for some brush. The cover wasn't the best, but he hoped that the tans colors of his armor and clothes would blend in with the browns of the wasteland vegetation. The scout spared a look at the others and grimaced as one of the Brahmin was left standing in the road. There wasn't much that could be done about it.

Mordecai had recognized the sound as that of a flying machine, but wasn't sure which faction it would be. Be it Brotherhood or the more sinister Enclave.

"Things just get better and better, " he murmured to himself as he used the rifle scope to scan the sky.

Rolls
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Herzog » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am

September 5th, Later Afternoon – East of Lawyer's Road

With all of you scrambling for cover, the thudding sound came closer and louder due to the Doppler effect. It was definitely a machine and became clear with minutes. Mordecai and Zak were the first to spot it.

Image


The machine or vehicle was unlike anything the vaulters had seen. It was similar to pre-war helicopters that they had read about, but had two propellers that were angled. At least they were angled when the machine came into view. It looked like they could fully rotate 90 degrees and then some. The flying machine slowed overhead as whatever was piloting it spotted the Brahmin. Robin was pretty sure he had been spotted too. Samuel's make shift cover wasn't adequate enough either.

The craft circled the area, it's thudding loud as it fly only a few hundred feet in the air. You could see that the machine had hatches on the side that could open, and protrusions that could be either some kind of sensors or weapons. After a couple of minutes of terror inducing circling, the machine tilted it's rotators down and continued to fly west. Your presence was obviously noted, but may not have deemed a threat for whoever flew the machine. Mordecai and Zak both spotted a stylized E surrounded by stars painted on the side of the machine.

Image
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Zak » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:54 am

Zak broke cover after the helo passed on and saw that Robin had not been able to do much with the Brahmin in the pinch. He doubted he could have done much better, but he was not pleased that the old geezer tagging along had not bothered to take charge of both beasts as he was obviously in possession of some skill.

Moving back to the road he waited for Mordecai to come back out.

He looked back down the way they had come, seeing the lone Brahmin in the road, waiting for Givens and Robin to emerge from hiding.

He was glaring coldly waiting for the others to emerge. He voice was laced with scorn and sarcasm. “Nice, the old geezer saved his own fucking brahmin and did nothing to help Rob with ours. Tempted to shoot his pack beast. I also noticed he has not offered the use of his binoculars to aid our scouting to help protect his ass either.”

The teenager was just venting for the moment, waiting to see what Rob was going to do about it.

Zak turned back to the scout, “Did you see those markings on that thing? Did you recognize them?”
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Robin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 am

Robin picked himself up and brushed dry twigs and dust off his clothing. The machine had buzzed overhead, circling purposefully, and he’d half-expected a gun to slide out of one of the hatches and start firing on them. Whatever the thing was, it was advanced technology. The people who controlled it probably had a lot more stuff besides just that. But it hadn’t fired, just circled a few times and then left. Maybe that meant its owners were coming to follow up on what the machine had scouted for them.

Zak had emerged from hiding first, so Robin walked over to him. He grabbed the brahmin’s lead ruefully. The creature looked back at him placidly with two sets of dark eyes.

Robin shook his head, then eyed the old dude sidelong.

“Most people are like that,” he said to Zak. “Out for themselves. They can talk a good talk and pretend like they’re going to be on your side, but in a crisis situation, you see what their true instincts are.”

He shrugged.

“It’s better we found out sooner rather than later. He showed us who he really is. Now we know.”

Robin turned his head, staring off in the direction the machine had gone.

“You can’t force someone to do the right thing, Zak. People like Xenn are few and far between.” He scowled heavily under his scarf. “I wish he hadn’t left us,” he added, lower, almost to himself.

Finally he turned back to him.

“This guy would sell us to slavers to get his wife back,” he murmured. “We have to watch our backs.”
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Mordecai » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:44 pm

Mordecai walked back with to rejoin the others with back. He kept glancing around, looking for any sign of danger. There was little chance of since the helo probably spooked everything. Regardless, the scout had his rifle at the ready.

He shook his head as he listened to Zak and Robin vent. In his mind, there was little chance of getting completely in cover with two brahmin. Especially with how quickly the flying machine travelled.

"Little to be done about it."

"Yeah, I recognized the symbol alright. It's the Enclave. Think Brotherhood of Steel, but racist elitist assholes. Heard they were some remnant of the old pre-war government. Makes them think the whole land in the Old USA is theirs by right. At any rate. It is not good news they are out and about. When they want something, they get it...rather you like it or not."

THe scout pondered a moment. "THough I wonder what they are doing in the area."
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby sirfinn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:08 am

Givens arose from his poor hiding spot, not happy with the close call with the flying machine.
Leaving the rusting car bonnet in place, so some other traveler might have some cover if needed one day.

He gently encouraging Bruce to follow, Samuel resumed his shuffling walk to join the others.
As he closed the distance, his face creased with concern at the private mutterings and dark looks in his direction.
'have to be careful. three on one and I am feeding the ravens.' his thought to himself as he closed the distance.
Tempted to palm a blade just in case but resisted. Trust came with time.

Having noted Robyn's lack of confidence with the Brahmin.
"If yous wish Robyn, I can work both Brahmin. You seem not to have the knack yet."
Waiting long enough to get an answer before turning to Mordecai, "Much obliged you managed to signal the warning, Mordecai."

Hearing Mordecai's brief on the Enclave. "They ain't raiders or slavers and not something I have seen from where I be from."
User avatar
sirfinn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Zak » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:37 am

Zak only nodded slightly at Robin's last murmured comment as Givens approached to join the conversation. His look of disgust softened considerably once the tinkerer offered to help with the brahmin. The offer did much to mollify the teenage boy's, but he was not about to admit he was wrong or anything. He said simply, "Sounds good."

Returning to the subject of the Enclave, he turned to Mordecai. "So these assholes are just raiders with more advanced weapons and vehicles. Do you think they are supporting the raiders and hunting them?"

"Does the Enclave get along with the Brotherhood?" he asked glancing aside at Robin who always appeared to look at him funny when they talked about the Brotherhood.
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Robin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:07 am

Robin looked at the scruffy man for a long moment, searching his face. Then he finally nodded.

“Okay, Mister, thanks for that.”

He offered up the bramin’s lead to Givens, then turned back to the conversation at hand.

“That seemed like a pretty sophisticated vehicle. They would need parts, fuel, and someone with the technical know-how to keep it running. They didn’t seem to be very interested in us, but the fact that they stopped to look anyway says something. They have the fuel to burn on non-essential things.”

He shrugged, then frowned as Zak asked Mordecai about the Brotherhood again. But at least the Brotherhood sounded far better than the Enclave.

“Who are the Enclave racist against?” he asked. In the history books, racism was a big deal. But it didn’t seem like a big deal anymore. No one cared how much melanin someone had or didn’t have when there were creatures that stood ten feet tall and had bug eyes and mandibles that could eat your face.
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Mordecai » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:37 am

Mordecai shrugged his shoulders about the warning. Like he had mentioned to Zak, there was not much to be done about it considering how quickly things transpired. Now the question is what there presence means to the Enclave, if anything. With the older man taking charge of both Brahmin, the scout could see the teenagers expressions soften.

The tall man turned his thoughts back to the matter at hand.

"Yeah, I would say the Enclave and Brotherhood are at odds. Different ideology. Hadn't heard of many conflicts, but that doesn't mean there have been some."

"The Enclave are raciest again ghouls that is for sure. Think any ghoul is a blight on the land. So maybe more elitest then raciest. They don't like wastelanders in general."

"But they would be mightily interested in you two, " Mordecai pointed, " as you are from a vault."
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby sirfinn » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:51 am

Taking the second lead, Samuel listened to the conversation.
"The Enclave do slavery or do they work with the raiders at all?"

On mention the two were from the vault, "What has that got to do with the Enclave? they wishing pure bloods with little radiation?"

"From the stories I heard, some of the vaults are worse that the wasteland."
"My folk mentioned the politics and power games, was the worst part. But they be stories I guess."

"How far to the next settlement and is it the direction that flying machine went?" Samuel asked.
Last edited by sirfinn on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sirfinn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 4 - A Brewing Storm

Postby Zak » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:50 am

Zak had a wry expression as Givens mentioned the vaults being worse. "Yeah, our vault was a damned place, that's for sure. We are glad to be rid of it. But I can imagine that each one is different."

"Mord, would the Enclave be interested in vault dwellers for reasons as Givens suggested, or are they looking for like minded recruits? We are not not fans of ghouls either, and I don't think that is a bad thing. Nasty creatures from our experience."

"But would the Enclave be the sort to try experimenting on super-mutants? Or would they just kill those fuckers on sight too?"
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Next

Return to Fallout [The Window]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron