Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Image - Welcome to the Wasteland.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mordecai » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Mordecai agreed to hitting the road while there was day light burning.

"Right, best to be going. We will just have to be more diligent with the pack animal in tow. It will make it a bit difficult to stay hidden. "

The scout looked around at the outpost in thought. He had all his stuff nearby as well and could be ready to leave in a short notice. The lanky man was already planning the route to the next outpost that should be easy with the pack animals and still provide some cover.

"Glad to have you with us, Samuel. Perhaps we can find something about that woman in the photo of yours."
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby sirfinn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:31 am

Samuel looked over to Mr Pink when he offered provisions for the road. "mighty kind offer, Mr Pink."

While waiting for the lads to get their gear sorted, Mordecai made the comment of welcome.

Samuel nodded, "Me head hopes she be not far, but my heart know something bad has happened."
"Need to know if she be livin' or dead. Just the answer."

"Not knowin', is livin' hell." A long pause, several breaths pass. Before words, with both conviction, seething anger and malice come forth,
"No matter, any raider I get my hands on, will feel my pain for what they done to me beautiful Alison."
Last edited by sirfinn on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
sirfinn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Zak nodded as they started mobilizing with a plan. "Thanks, man," he said to Mr. Pink. The provisions and beast to carry it all their gear was settled. He commented to Mordecai, "Well, we have the same problem with the old guy's beast too. Two of them might make us more of a target, but you will just have to range a little farther away to keep lookout as we travel like before. At least with the beast, we can move quickly to get out of sight or react. I guess, like anything, we have good and bad points about it."

"Be right back. Gotta get my shit."

He hustled off to collect his belongings to pack on the brahmin. With the tools and gear, it was going to take a number of minutes to pack it all on the creature. Likely they might need to trade for some pack straps and such to help organize things.
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Robin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:54 pm

Robin nodded in silent agreement as Mr. Givens vowed to get revenge on the raiders who had taken his wife, and doubtless done terrible things to her. Now that was the right attitude to have.

“All right, Mister. I’ll be back too.”

Zak had shot off, undoubtedly wanting to get a head start because he had more to pack. Robin trotted off in the direction Zak had gone, getting to their shared room to find Zak furiously packing his things. Robin grunted at him as he entered and pulled his stuff out the lockbox at the foot of the bed. He packed more or less efficiently, finally stuffing his precious medkit in last, so it could be the first thing he would retrieve in the event of an emergency.

He wasn’t looking forward to running around with that heavy pack on his back again, but perhaps that was what the brahmin were for. He frowned at the thought.

“I want to carry some things myself. The really valuable and important stuff, you know? Just in case something happens and the brahmin runs off. But I can load the other stuff on it,” he said to Zak with a shrug.
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Herzog » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:33 am

You all gather back together at the outpost gate in about half an hour. Mr Pink came through with the rations, about 3 days worth. They could be stretched if need be. He also managed to scrounge up some feed for your brahmin.

Speaking of the beast of burden, Mordecai had it ready to go with a harness and lead. The two headed animal could easily carry any of your extra gear. The scout himself was ready, with his own pack on his back and rifle in hand.

Some of the inhabitants of the outpost wished you luck as you made your last minute preparations. They were disappointed to see you go, but understood that word needed to get out. There a few handshakes and give them hells passed around.

Mr. Pink stood by with arms crossed.

"Well, wish you luck. I will pass the word if your friend Xenn passes back through."
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby sirfinn » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Waiting for Mordecai to break trail, Samuel acknowledged Mr Pink, "Most kind hospitality yous have here, Mr Pink."
"Much appreciated."

Looking over the other brahmin, Samuel could see it was well laden with stuff.
The lads had collected well.
A little curiosity to what they had did cross his mind for a moment but like most folk on the wasteland, he knew better.
Best not pry into matters not meant to be looked at, unless invited.

Samuel removed his recently purchased binoculars, hanging them around his neck before tugged on the lead rope for Bruce. His slow methodical shuffle returning as he headed out the gates.
Taking his bearings on local landmarks, he waited to see which way Mint Hill outpost was. With luck they would make it by sundown.
With his new property, he could at least see further and be aware of mischief before it arrived.
User avatar
sirfinn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mordecai » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 pm

"Whoa there, partner!"

Mordecai yelled at Samuel as the newcomer already headed out the gate ahead of the others.

The scout pulled on the lead of the other brahmin and caught up with the man as Zak and Robin followed.

"We need to figure out who's going to lead this second animal. Especially, If I'm scouting out front. Not to mention how far you want me to roam."

"We don't have Rover any more, so we need to be more diligent."

While waiting for the others, the tall man quickly got his bearings and determined the direction they needed to go.

"We're going to take the secondary roads I think. More cover that way then being out in the open on the old highway. But still a risk."
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby sirfinn » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Samuel stopped his slow methodical shuffle even as his pack brahmin, Bruce continued a bit before the lead rope got taut.
"thought yous folks were ready."
The admission of not thinking about the others and just his desire to get to the next settlement followed, "Not used to having to wait, when matters need doin'"

At mention of the second animal, "One of the boys can lead it. It be mostly their gear, give them the responsibility." Samuel counseled simply before asking,
"Whose Rover?"

While waiting for the two boys and Mordecai speaking about the advice on the roads they would take, "You knows the land and its ways, Mordecai. Cut the path we need, in yonder wasteland."
"While we walk, I have some better eyes now with these binoculars." he gestured to his recent purchase,
"Avoid what mischief we can and get to Mint Hill outpost without harm. That be my plan and hopeful yous too."
User avatar
sirfinn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:12 am

Zak lugged the two bundles of gear that he was not going to carry in his now much lighter backpack; his bedroll for one and toolkit for the other. He figured out a way to secure them to the harnesses for the Brahmin and hoped the items would stay put. Mostly all that was in his pack was ammunition, the caps, and a portion of the water and rations he could carry without slowing down.

While it was his stuff, the tool which took up the most weight were not just for him, but rather for building stuff to benefit them all. Plus the parts he had scrounged and gathered along the way were there too.

He looked to Robin, “Huh, Dad usually took care of that stuff. I was thinking to accompany Mord on scouting ahead.”

Zak answered the older tinker, “Rover was Dad’s dog that he found. He was training him to do stuff.”

“Can’t we just tie the lead rope of this Brahmin to yours? That would make more sense while we have some of us out scouting. We should probably stick to pairs. I am decent at walking quietly enough, so I think I can help Mord. That would leave you staying with Robin and the two beasts.”

He looked to Robin and Mord to see if they agreed with that pairing.
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Robin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:44 am

“Yeah, that’s fine,” Robin said.

He moved to the head of their Brahmin and took the lead in hand. He gestured to Givens’ Brahmin with the end of the rope, but didn’t tie it yet in case the old guy disagreed.

“And it is a good idea to keep the two of them together. I don’t know if they’d stick together if they ran off in an emergency or something, but it would make them easier to find.”

He turned, looking between Mordecai and Zak.

“So how far are you guys thinking you’ll scout ahead? Like a hundred feet or something?”
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby sirfinn » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 pm

"I don't walk softly as I should."
"Better at hiding and waiting for folk to come to me." Samuel admitted to the trio, "If all you three can walk softly, I can lead the brahmin."
"Been working with them since I was about six."

"When they get spooked, they kick and snort, going in all directions. Tying them together, don't calm them down any more than if they be on their lonesome."

Trying to come to a compromise, while showing the trio respect. After all trust is earned not given away.
"How about for now you lead the other brahmin for now, Robin. Should you need help getting it to move and such, I will help ya."

"Getting used to one first then perhaps tomorrow we can make a string of them to lead. Switch over each hour or so as we travel."
With his words said, he looked to see what the scouts would do.
User avatar
sirfinn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:49 am

Zak nodded as Old Beardy and Rob worked out the Brahmin situation. He turned to Mord and shrugged, “100 feet ahead or 100 yards? You are the expert, Mord.”

“Or should we each take a side and range ahead to the side of travel out to 100 yards, then wait for the others to close up while the other scout moves past another 100 yards. I think they call that leap frogging, but I don’t know why.”

There were no frogs in the Vault and he never saw them mentioned in books he read other than as some kind of little amphibian critter that began with the letter F in a book about ABCs.
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mordecai » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:16 am

Mordecai looked around as the group gathered together to make these final discussions on travel. He was of the opinion they needed to be extra careful with raiders about. The two beasts of burden were going to complicate matters more. He wasn't all that sure on the tying the brahmin together or not. If one bolts, the other could go with it.

"As for scouting, I am good with pairing up. Since we are going on more secondary roads, we are less exposed, but also are not able to see as far out. Two sides of the same cap."

The scout nodded as he had the plan set in his mind.

"I'll led the way about 50 to 100 yards out. Zak, we can leapfrog as you say, or you be out on one of the flanks."

"Either way, we need to be careful."

"Samuel, keep an eye open with those binoculars."

Mordecai waited for the final word, before leading the way.
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 am

Zak offered, "If we need to worry about flanks as we travel, leap frogging would not cover that. We could both watch the flanks from out front, each taking an opposite side of the road and moving parallel to the direction of travel."

"Or I can switch back and forth between flanks every so often while you are ahead, Mord. But the Brahmin are not going to slow us down so that might not work... So maybe the first idea is best where we cover the flanks from up front."

"Rob? Sam?" he looked to the other two.
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Robin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:40 am

“Well…since we don’t really know for sure, let’s pick something and try it,” Robin said.

That was the scientific method. Change one variable, leave the rest intact, and move forward to see how it went, record the results and recalibrate as necessary. Great in theory, and even great in a lab. Not so great in the Waste when a sub-optimal choice could easily mean death. That didn’t change the fact they honestly didn’t know for certain what would be best.

“Make your best judgement, Zak. I trust you.”

He offered a firm nod to Zak and the others.

“If you think covering both flanks up front will work best, let’s do that.”

Robin raised the bandanna looped around his neck, and covered his nose and mouth with it.
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout [The Window]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest