Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Image - Welcome to the Wasteland.

Moderator: Herzog

Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Herzog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 pm

2279 - September 2nd - Morning


A few days have past since you all struck the deal with Mordecai. The scout true to his word, led you all out on overnight scavenging mission. The four of you traveled west of the settlement to check out an old firehouse in the ruins of a small municipality about 15 miles away. The place contain a wreck of an old fire engine, but the building itself was intact. Although being fairly picked over, you did manage to find a part of med kit containing a few bandages and an unused stimpack. You also found numerous useful mechanical parts that could be sold for some caps. Mordecai explained that this was probably about average for a find in this day and age. Most building have already scavenged over the decades.

Upon returning to Carolina place, the expected caravan had arrived. The caravan trader, a grisly man in a worn leather coat was accompanied by a couple of experience gaurds. He wheeled and dealed with the residents and Darrel as people looked over the goods on his two brahmin. When you had your chance to check out the man's items, you found two rifles for purchase. Both were in good condition and pre-war. Handing over the caps, and trading your surplus items, you walk away better armed and ready for the whatever the wasteland has to throw at you.

The following morning finds the three of you in the common room having breakfast. Mordecai hadn't been seen yet this morning. A message had been waiting for him, most likely from Boris and he was off having a chat with the town mayors.


spoiler: show
Found 5 mechanic parts, 1 stimpack
Treasure Updated
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
User avatar
Herzog
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 3127
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 am

Zak sat drinking the caffeine drink that the community used for a coffee substitute. He was not a coffee connoisseur, but the stuff tasted bitter and was unworthy of the name coffee. In his mind, they needed to mix it with milk and sugar to be real coffee.

With a successful overnight trip and finally getting some decent weapons from the caravan, the teenager was feeling pretty good that morning. The Springfield M-1A that he replaced the pipe rifle was a good replacement.

“Well, things are looking up and going our way. If our scout friend has been given an assignment, maybe we got ourselves another job too.”

“We still are not packing enough stopping power for a super mutant, but we probably have enough oomph to make one think twice about bothering us.” He made the motion of pulling the pin on an invisible grenade, tossing it and the explosion with his hands.

Combat Information | Show
Defense: 15 (With Security Vest)
HP: 17/17
Weapon in Hand: None
Beretta in holster
Reloads Remaining M-1A: 25 (20 in magazine)
Shots Remaining Beretta: 43 (15 in clip)
Action Points: 15
Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Robin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Robin eyed Zak for a moment.

“Yeah, uh, I still think hiding from them is the best idea.”

He tried to do his best to help Zak feel confident and secure in his position as leader, but Robin was afraid that now that they had the new rifles, it was starting to go to Zak’s head.

He thought about the supermutants for a few moments.

“If we do run into them and things aren’t going well, save one bullet for me, okay?”

spoiler: show
Standard Action: None
Move Action: None
Free Action: None.

Current Def: 12 (11 Flat-footed / 12 Touch)
Current HP: 14/14
Action Points: 5
Current Weapon in Hand: Beretta.
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Mercevial regards Robin as he mentions Zak performing a mercy killing on him. He had been in some pretty tight spots with Jude when they were in their undercover assignments where, had he thought about taking that way out, he might be dead already. Instead of commenting to such an effect, though, he simply says "As for me, Zak...save your bullet. I'll take my chances."

They had gone out into the Wastes and returned without much incident. A few close brushes with the local wildlife, which seemed less interested in tangling with them than with scavenging for food. They did profit tidily from the short trip, though, and that was encouraging.

"We'll see what's going on with Mordecai when he gets back," the lawman says as he munches on a hard bread, tenderizing it with the Wastelands excuse for coffee, "Maybe he'll have something we can help him with. If not, I'm sure with proper direction we could make it to a bigger settlement."
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
User avatar
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am
Location: The Fallout Universe

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:41 am

Zak was not sure about how to answer Rob. He was not a killer or murderer. Sure he had defended himself and the others without hesitation. But putting a bullet in a friend’s head was a whole other matter.

“Ummm, I think I am with Dad on this. Being a slave to super mutants would still offer some hope. Death is kinda final.”

“But, I agree that we should still avoid them. With the gillie suits, I feel better about hiding instead of fighting anyway. If we can’t avoid the confrontation, then we can use the grenades to help defend ourselves or to aid our escape.”

He finished the drink and was getting restless.

Zak rose from the table and suggested, “Shall we head outside and see if anything interesting is going on.”

Combat Information | Show
Defense: 15 (With Security Vest)
HP: 17/17
Weapon in Hand: None
Beretta in holster
Reloads Remaining M-1A: 25 (20 in magazine)
Shots Remaining Beretta: 43 (15 in clip)
Action Points: 15
Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Robin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 am

Robin simply nodded and said nothing more about the matter. He knew neither of them would understand, and as it was, he didn’t really want them to.

“All right. Let’s go.”

He pushed aside his mug, leaving the dark dregs of coffee like fine silt on the bottom. Robin was getting used to carrying all his stuff around, as heavy and burdensome as it was. Sore shoulders were giving away to vague aches now. He would never be as strong as Xenn, but at least he was adapting to all the physical activity.

Robin stood up, and walked with Zak outside, where it was already starting to get hot, sun beating down, making his skin trickle with sweat. Robin adjusted his scarf but didn’t pull it over his nose and mouth yet.

He looked around to see if there was something interesting going on.

spoiler: show
Standard Action: None
Move Action: None
Free Action: None.

Current Def: 12 (11 Flat-footed / 12 Touch)
Current HP: 14/14
Action Points: 5
Current Weapon in Hand: Beretta.
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Mercevial nodded as the boys stood to leave the building. He looked down at the mutt that had taken up the lawmans boots as a suitable spot to rest his head. It looked to be a German Sheppard crossed with some kind of herding dog and its ears twitched even before Mercevial moved. It's brown, black and white markings were dappled in the shaft of sunlight that was coming into the room from some small hole in the wall, cutting through the dusty air like a blade.

The ex-VSFer followed the two out, taking note that one of the residents of the community stopped before entering the common room to give them the right of way. He looked at each of the boys, who didn't seem to notice, and then locked eyes with Mercevial for a short time before nodding, which the lawman returned.

The dog followed them out of the room and stood next to them, comical in the way it looked around the courtyard, seeming to mimic their interest in finding something interesting.

Mercevial grinned, but it almost looked more like a grimace as his gnashed arms still affected him when he moved them in a certain way.

He hoped they would be on their way soon. As nice as Carolina Place had been to them so far, he was ready to move on and away from the Vault.
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
User avatar
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am
Location: The Fallout Universe

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mordecai » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Outside of the building of Carson’s Inn, the sun light seemed somewhat bright. Although morning, it was already a clear and bright day. The temperature felt warm and the air a bit humid. A breeze occasionally swept thru the courtyard.

Activity for the community seemed normal for the day. The caravan was finishing up business at Darrell’s and looked to be heading out in an hour or so. Guards on the wall kept a lookout for any trouble in the wasteland. Other people milled about doing this or that. A few glanced your way, but it wasn’t gawking or anything of the like.

Mordecai was just outside the door the administration building talking to Jerry. He looked about ready to head out himself as he had a backpack up against the wall, and his rifle slung on his shoulder. The scout caught sight of you wall and waved. Jerry seemed to nod and the two finished up their conversation. The guard captain went about his way, while scout picked up his pack and headed over to you three.

“Yo, good morning. “

The scout reached down and petted the mutt for a few times as it came over to sniff his boots.

“Seems you made a friend. And it looks like you got yourselves some better rifles, too. Trader treat you right?”
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:22 am

Zak nodded a greeting and had picked up the wastelander mannerisms. “Yo, Mordecai.”

With the Springfield rifles and the 7.62mmm ammo, they had considerable more firepower at range compared to when they faced the ferals at the ruined supermarket. They still had the Berettas, and unless they found a supplier that had obtained a bigger handgun, there was no reason to sell or trade them.

“Yeah, things worked out pretty well. We are much better armed than the other day.”

He inclined his head in the direction that Jerry had walked off in and asked, “What’s the word?”

Combat Information | Show
Defense: 15 (With Security Vest)
HP: 17/17
Weapon in Hand: None
Beretta in holster
Reloads Remaining M-1A: 25 (20 in magazine)
Shots Remaining Beretta: 43 (15 in clip)
Action Points: 15
Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Robin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Robin looked down at the dog, watching it interact with Mordecai.

“That’s a dog that just showed up.”

The dog wagged its tail, apparently recognizing the word ‘dog’, at the very least. He imagined a lot of people called the dog that. He also imagined that dogs were considered very valuable, either if people got hungry, or as guards. Eating a dog seemed like a terrible waste to him, as the dog was a lot more valuable as a guard, unless you were starving to death.

They weren’t, so he held out his hand to see if the dog would sniff it, and the dog did so, with another wag of its tail. Then he dug into his pack and pulled out one of the carefully-wrapped packages of dried meat. He offered a bit to the dog, who gobbled it up hungrily.

spoiler: show
Standard Action: None
Move Action: None
Free Action: None.

Current Def: 12 (11 Flat-footed / 12 Touch)
Current HP: 14/14
Action Points: 5
Current Weapon in Hand: Beretta.
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mordecai » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Mordecai smiled down as the dog wagged it's tail happily as the teenager held out some of the dry meat.

"Strays are pretty common. I've seen this one around, so some one else must be feeding it as well."

The scout looked at the other two as they stood around talking. The scavenging trip had done well to establish a friendship, and that was something the scout thought worth while. One always needed some one to watch your back.

"Well, the word is tense I guess. Our super mutant sighting was not the only the one. The trader brought news of others, plus some troubling news about bandits. Seems like the slave trade has moved into the area. Those unlucky souls we saw the other day must have been on their way to being sold some where."

"Boris, Jerry and the others are worried about some of the smaller homesteads and settlements in the area. Since I tend to float around the region, he asked if I could stop in a few of them. Make sure the people are still there, and as well as warn them. Find out if any one has heard or seen anything as well."

"Since I had an idea to swing around west and head up to Concord, I figured it was the least I could do. There is no reward for this kind of thing, other than good will and survival. If the bandits team up with the super mutants, we are all in big trouble."
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Zak » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:49 am

Zak took the news about the super mutants in stride. The risk of encountering them was something they were trying to prepare for with better weapons. While the teenager was not feeling particularly part of the local community yet, they were intending to try fitting into the wastelander society in some fashion.

And then there was the need to leave Carolina Place with a parting story that would not question their disappearance with a quite plausible explanation should anyone from the vault follow after them.

Zak said, “Well, if the trip allows for some scavenging along the way to potentially earn some caps to cover the costs it could work out. And grateful settlement dwellers will probably offer some hot meals at least, yeah?”

“It you are asking if we are interested in coming, I certainly am.”

He glanced at Dad and Rob, hoping that they saw the easy opportunity to leave Carolina Place without needing much deception to cover their tracks. All they needed to do was let people know they intended to return, and if they never did then it might be believed that the wasteland got them. Super mutant slavers could make that a reality anyway.

Combat Information | Show
Defense: 15 (With Security Vest)
HP: 17/17
Weapon in Hand: None
Beretta in holster
Reloads Remaining M-1A: 25 (20 in magazine)
Shots Remaining Beretta: 43 (15 in clip)
Action Points: 15
Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
User avatar
Zak
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Outside Vault 47

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Robin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:02 am

Robin nodded.

“Yeah, I’m interested in coming along too. Sounds like a good opportunity to find some more stuff for trade, maybe.”

He figured that if they just acted like it this would be their new routine, it would seem like it was. After all, it would probably be the mindset of most people that once they found a secure place, they would not want to leave it. It would be far more probable in most people’s minds that when they didn’t return, that they had run into a bad end, not headed off for greener pastures, as the old saying went.

There was no such thing as a green pasture anymore, Robin reflected. The aphorism was now completely outdated.

“Mordecai, how do those small settlements get by? Do they send people into town to pick up supplies? Or are they entirely self-reliant?”

spoiler: show
Standard Action: None
Move Action: None
Free Action: None.

Current Def: 12 (11 Flat-footed / 12 Touch)
Current HP: 14/14
Action Points: 5
Current Weapon in Hand: Beretta.
User avatar
Robin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Once he heard there were homesteading people out in the Waste who needed help, or at the very least warning, there was only one course of action in the lawmans eyes.

"I'm in," he said immediately.

He heard Zak and Robin talk about finding things to trade and sell for caps and he nodded as the spoke, but the truth of the matter was he would have been going on this trip even if it were guaranteed they would take no haul. Even if they planned to stay in Carolina Place. He had been helping people his whole life.... It was in his DNA.

He remembered, vaguely, seeing a place called Concord on the map when they had left the vault.

"Mordecai... Is it a long trip to
Concord? What should we prepare for?"

Readiness in the Waste was essential to waking up breathing the next day.
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
User avatar
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am
Location: The Fallout Universe

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 3 - Chasing Rumors

Postby Mordecai » Thu May 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Mordecai smiled as the three vault dwellers readily agreed to accompany him on the trek to Concord. He had got the sense that the three did not want to stick around Carolina Place during the other night's scavenging trip. The scout thought it just as well, as showing them the lay of the land would do wonders for their long term survival chances. Plus, the lanky man felt better at having backup if they ran into hostile bandits or worse.

“Sounds good. It seems best to travel in groups if any of this news is true.”

Mordecai looked over to Robin as the other teenager asked about the small settlements. It was a good question.

“Most of them are close to being self-reliant as you say. They have managed to raise some kind of crop for food as well as the Brahmin themselves. Most have some kind of well for water too. They scavenge and trade with the caravans as they pass through the area. And yeah, they do occasional come into town for supplies. “

“And family groups usually make up the majority of the settlements.”

The scout scratched the side of his face at Xenn’s question and thought for a moment.

“Well, the route I planned to take is about 40 miles. About 3-4 days travel depending on pace, and how often we stop. I’ve got rations for 5 days. And hopefully, the weather will hold.”
User avatar
Mordecai
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Next

Return to Fallout [The Window]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron