Fallout:[IC] - Ch 2 - Welcome to the Wasteland

Image - Welcome to the Wasteland.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 2 - Welcome to the Wasteland

Postby Zak » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 am

Zak shook his head and replied, “I already had a tonfa and now a knife. I am not very good with either and I sure as shit not strong enough to ever be that good.”

“Naw, I will stick with a pistol for close in work and hope to avoid getting ferals in my face. One reason I want to look into getting better firearms. Maybe I can find a better pistol.”

“I much prefer staying away from fighting hand to hand. But at least I am getting better and aiming carefully to shoot anything you are trying chop, Dad,” he grinned.

Combat Information | Show
Defense: 15 (With Security Vest)
HP: 17/17
Weapon in Hand: Pipe Rifle (loaded)
Beretta in holster
Reloads Remaining Pipe Rifle: 8
Shots Remaining Beretta: 43 (15 in clip)
Action Points: 15
Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am

Robin shook his head as well.

“I’m not too strong,” he said, simply. “If something gets close, I’d rather run or try to get away than hit it.”

He glanced at Xenn.

“Maybe you should sell it and get extra caps. We don’t need extra stuff bogging us down.”

His mind was on the supermutants, and if it was even possible to run from them. He didn’t think so. Stealth was probably the only option, and even that was not guaranteed.

“Hmm. I wonder if there’s some sort of poncho we could get, to cover our clothing and make us blend in with the Waste. Like what Mordecai has.”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 am

“I like that poncho idea, Rob.”

Zak made his way to the door and said, “Well, let us hope some traders have been to visit in our absence. I am not very happy with the pipe gun for ranged shooting. Too slow firing compared to the pistols.”

“I also wonder about all the weight we are carrying. Maybe we can get or make an all-terrain hand cart or something…”

The teenager was thoughtful for a moment as he stood by the door.

“Maybe a wooden box attached two bicycle wheels would work. Add a handle to pull it and front leg stand that will let it rest when not being pulled by the handle. With some better we can maybe carry more gear that way and not slow down.”

Weapon in Hand: None
Beretta in holster
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 am

“Huh,” Robin said, thoughtfully.

He paid close attention to what Zak said about his idea of the wheeled cart. It sounded simple enough – just a small-scale version of what they had used to bring back the generator, only small enough to be dragged by a human. They could take turns dragging it.

“That’s a good idea. Can you make something like that?”

He was impressed by Zak’s resourcefulness. First to think of such a thing, and also, to have the confidence and skill to make it.

“That would be a great. Really practical. And if they have ponchos, and we buy an extra one and cut it, we can drape it over the cart to hide it when we need to, so the metal parts won’t gleam if we spot something in the distance that we want to hide from.”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 pm

As the boys talked about the wagon and how to camouflage it, the lawman smiles. It was good to have a different perspective on things in the group. Even with the batteries and extra tent, he moved with no weight problems at all and thus didn't think much about a cart.

"Now that you mention it, it would be nice to get the bulk off my back." he says, referring to the awkward sway of the tents. "It's a great idea. We'll have to see if we can round up some parts."

He addresses the rifle issue as they walked out the door and towards Darryls. "I wonder if they have something with a magazine so you wouldn't have to take so long between shots. All I want to do is get that machete if it's still there. This axe is good out in the open... but if things get tight..."

He glances back at Zak and adds, "By the way...I never did tell you that you did a good job picking your spots with the pistol when I was tied up with those fucking ghouls. Thanks for not shooting me."

The ex-VSFer grins. "I'd love to believe it was on purpose."
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 am

Zak nodded as Robin asked about his ability to build the cart, “Yeah, sure.”

“I don’t think it will be that hard to make. A decent box and some added handles. The wheels are the main issue. Big heavy ones from a car would not work. Also, I might have to figure something out for a good axle.”

“Making it to be sturdy enough to last as we drag it across rugged terrain is going be challenge as well.”

“But, give me a day or so at most if we can find suitable materials and I think I can do it. I like the idea of the poncho too.”

He grinned at Xenn, “Of course it was on purpose, Dad. Come on, I am a great shot and would never accidentally shoot you in the ass.” He then realized he just blew any plausible deniability to ‘accidentally’ shoot the ex-VSFer in the ass on purpose.

Beretta in holster
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Robin hid a smile as Zak boasted about what a good shot he was. He actually was a good shot, so he could do that. Maybe he wasn’t as good as Mordecai yet, but Robin thought he could be, with time and practice. It was comforting, the same way Xenn’s strength was comforting, since Robin wasn’t a good shot at all, and he knew he never really would be. It was good his companions were competent. That left him to keep them patched up.

Something occurred to him, and he turned it over in his mind for a bit before speaking. He looked at Zak.

“It would be good if you could make that cart…but would it look suspicious if we took all our stuff and the cart and left? Maybe they would think were planning on leaving for good, not just on a trip. But maybe we can talk it up and say we need to bring the cart in order to bring stuff back. Be kind of secretive about it, like we found something good out there the last time.”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:36 am

Zak shrugged.

“If I can make the cart, then I can see actually using it on the scavenging trips around here for real.”

“Hmm, yeah. The explanation is the same. We are would just be heading out for another overnight trip.”

“In fact we should probably plan one for tomorrow anyway. I actually do want to try some scavenging and see if we can find some materials that we can use. It would be a good excuse to see if Mordecai would be willing to accompany us and show us around some.”

Beretta in holster
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Robin nodded, catching Zak’s drift.

“Yeah, I got you. That makes sense.”

The more times they headed out into the Waste, the better they would get at it, after all. And the more used to them leaving everyone would be.

“You think maybe we can find some materials for your cart out there? I wonder what we’d need for the axle. A metal pipe or something? We can probably find something like that. Maybe part of one of those cars by the supermarket. Or were you thinking of heading out in a different direction?”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Zak had a slight frown in thought as he his brow wrinkled.

"I dunno if I want to go back to that sight again. A little too far, maybe. And I would rather avoid running into supermutants until we can salvage a tank or something."

"But scrounging for things might turn up something useful to help me build a hand cart that will meet our needs. At the least we could find something worth selling to Darrel for extra caps to at least pay for the supplies otherwise."

"Maybe Mordecai will have a suggestion on where to go and we can use that to ask him to show us. I just hope we can convince him without paying him. OUr hard earned credits are not that much."

Beretta in holster
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:32 am

Mercevial agrees it would be a good idea to pick the snipers brain about the best place to scavenge but adds, "Yeah...the supermarket is too much of a trek for a simple scavenge. Add to that the fact we've not been down there without confrontation either time. I also think, if we can avoid it, we should steer clear of the Vault."

He remembers the lowest level of the Vault and the machines it housed.

He looks at Zak. "Whatever we use as an axle we'll have to figure out a way to keep metal from grinding on metal. The camouflage will be great if we have to leave it somewhere, but noise draws attention out in the Wastes."

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:59 pm

7:03pm, Carolina Place

Wrapping up your private conversation and unwinding a bit more from the days trek, you eventually wonder back out into to town. About 45 minutes have since the doctor saw to Xenn. The sun has finished sitting, and various lanterns and electrical lights light up Carolina Place. People move about, going about their evening activities. Some glance your direction, but most carry on.

You quickly collect your reward from Boris, and he again thanks you for the assistance. You depart his office carrying the bag of caps, and then head to Darrels to sell off your spoils and unused gear.

At Darrel's, you catch sight of Patrick doing some stocking before he disappears into the back of the shop. Of Nathan, there is no sign. The old man himself is at his counter, checking his ledger. He is glad to see you three, and the lot you have brought to sell him. You waste not time getting down to business as the old shopkeeper agrees to buy everything you are selling at a reasonable price. You also find a few items that you had planned to buy, like the gillie suites, machete and such. But as for more firepower, Darrel's shop doesn't have anything better than what you already have.

However, you do find out from the old man that a trader is expected to arrive in the next day or so. The wondering caravans more often than not have good gear to sell.

Once done with your shopping, you stash your new goods back and the rest of your caps back in your room for safe keeping. You then set about finding Mordecai. Which is easy, considering he is spotted down in the common room having a bit to eat and some drink. The scout is seated at the bar, chatting with the bartender.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Robin averted his gaze and said nothing to Patrick while they were in the store, and Patrick said nothing to him. It was as if they were strangers, only strangers who were painfully ignoring each other. Robin set his gaze stonily to the ground and said nothing, letting Zak and Xenn conduct business.

He thought he might cut his hair. Buzz it all off. It would make him look less like Patrick, and more like a freak, and that was fine with him. There were the practical reasons to not have hair either, like not having to worry about washing it, or getting lice, and it would be cooler in the desert.

But they would be leaving soon, and looking less like Patrick wouldn’t be so much of an issue. He could throw on the fact that he would also look less like himself, and that was good in case Jude showed up or asked about him.

He walked with Zak and Xenn to the bar, then nodded slightly in Mordecai’s direction.

“There he is.”

He shrugged.

“Let’s go buy him a drink and chat him up.”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:55 am

Zak was not sure how far their deal with the free room and board was going to last, but he would not begrudge having to spend a few caps on drinks if that’s what it was going to take. It made him feel more like a man being able to do that.

He nodded and worked his way through the tables and chair to reach the bar.

Placing a hand on the counter top a few feet from where Mordecai was seated, he head bobbed to the bartender and said, “We would like a few.” He gestured with his thumb over his shoulder wagging to indicate both Rob and Dad behind.

Glancing at Mordecai he added, “And one for him too if he wants.”

Addressing the scout, Zak asked, “You don’t mind do ya? After fightin’ together out there, we sorta figured we all are comrades in arms.”

Beretta in holster
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Xenn pulls up a stool to the left of the sniper and nods his greeting as he sits. Once Zak poses the question, the lawman feels there's nothing more to add and waits for both his drink and Mordecais reply.

He takes a quick glance around the room and assesses the individuals quickly, an old habit from his training as an undercover in the gangs.

He returns his gaze to Zak and the sharp shooter.

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout [The Window]