Fallout:[IC] - Ch 2 - Welcome to the Wasteland

Image - Welcome to the Wasteland.

Moderator: Herzog

Fallout:[IC] - Ch 2 - Welcome to the Wasteland

Postby Herzog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Morning arrives after the second night in the outside world. You are all much better rested as you something closer to real beds and a excellent shelter over your heads. Sounds and smells of cooking waft up from the common room/kitchen as the cook prepares a breakfast for those in the town and guests of the inn.

After refreshing yourselves for a day of traveling across the wasteland for Carson's errand, you all gather downstairs for your free breakfast. You notice a few patrons eating in the common room. They eye you warily or with some curiosity, but converse amongst themselves about the towns latest news, the weather, and such. Sunlight streams in from the windows of the common room, so it looks to be a good day for traveling and scaving.

Carson himself can be scene from his post by the reception desk, sipping on some hot beverage.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Re: Fallout:[IC] - Ch 2 - Welcome to the Wasteland

Postby Patrick » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:34 am

Patrick never would have thought he could sleep so soundly outside the vault, but after everything they'd been through a bed, even one that wasn't entirely comfortable, was all he needed and he slept throughout the night. Heading out to the common room in the morning he greets Carson and goes to see what's for breakfast. He does his best to look friendly and non-threatening to the other patrons (one of them ought to), but doesn't go out of his way to engage them in conversation. There was just too much he had on his mind this morning.
Patrick
Hero
Hero

Postby Robin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Robin imagined that the lot of them were the topic of some of the locals’ conversations. After watching them for a few seconds, he averted his gaze and focused on shoveling down his meal as quickly as possible.

As always, he was done eating first.

Robin wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, looking around at the others in the group.

“So are we ready to go? Do we need to make any preparations first?”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:30 am

Zak finishes his breakfast and tilts the chair back, hitching his thumbs into the belt of his new wastelander clothes.

"Yeah, I guess I am ready. Not looking forward to shouldering that heavy pack, but the what the hell am I supposed to do, eh? Until we acquire some beasts of burden or a vehicle that's it."

Letting the chair legs settle back to the floor, he reaches into his pocket. Pulling out the local map and the hand-written directions from Carson, Zak lays them out on the table in front of him and Robin. There is plenty of space for everyone to crowd around and see.

"You think we can find this place alright?"
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Robin studied the map for a few minutes, chewing on his lip thoughtfully.

“Yeah, it shouldn’t be a problem. This map isn’t bad. And you still have that compass, right? We’ll be fine.”

He glanced around at the others.

He was also not looking forward to carrying around his heavy pack, but there was nothing to be done about it.

“We should drink as much water as we can now, just to make sure we’re really hydrated when we go out. Every little bit helps.”
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Based on the observations of how long it took to get from the Vault to Carolina Place and Carson's directions, you figure that it will probably take about half a day to arrive at the place where the protection unit is located. Just as Carson had said.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:17 am

Zak signals for some more breakfast, deciding that he should also fill his stomach as well while he is at it.

"Good thinking, Rob. Maybe this should be brunch and we should eat more too."

While following Robin's advice, the teenager looks at the older man, Xenn and the ganger, Nate to see if they have anything further to add before they leave Carson's to get started.
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 am

Looking up from his plate, Nathan raises an eyebrow at Robin. "Isn't that just gonna make us have to piss more?"

He turns to Zak, "Am I carrying anything? I could probably take some stuff off you if we have another pack." He wouldn't mind carrying a light backpack, so long as he can still properly move.
Nathan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Robin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:45 am

“Well, yeah, we’re going to piss a little more. But we’re going to need the fluids because we’re going to be sweating.”

Robin shrugged.

He reached out to grab a little more of the free breakfast, since Zak had mentioned it.

“That’s what I read. It’s easy to dehydrate.”

Robin shoved the food into his mouth and swallowed.

“I wonder how big this battery thing is going to be. Maybe we need something to carry it in?” he wondered out loud, though kept his voice down.
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 am

Zak thinks about the battery size and holds his hands a short distance apart, "Maybe about this big. Hopefully it will fit in a day pack, but we could ask Carson before we leave."

He really doesn't have any experience in the battery itself to get a decent idea of its size and weight.

Replying to Nate, he says, "I have that mechanics kit, but Dad is helping with the tent and my sleeping bag. So I am pretty much stuck with the tools in the only other good sized backpack that we have. I will be okay." Zak won't admit any sign of weakness, not wanting to tarnish that ruthless reputation that Robin said he should have at least.

Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:00 am

Mercevial chews his food and listens. His well toned and strong muscles flex as he drinks his fill. "Once we're out there, the battery can go in my pack. I'm not even close to being weighed down"

He knows he's by far the strongest of the group and doesnt mind being a bit of a pack mule if it lets the others do their jobs more effectively. I just won't let on to that for now.
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Patrick » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am

Patrick is thinking over their plans and comes up with a suggestion, but immediately realizes that it would have to wait a bit until they were under way, and away from prying ears, or their efforts to hide their skills would be jeopardized. Instead he focuses on finishing his breakfast so that they can be underway, that and hoping they don't meet any bandits, or that if they do they're a lot less screwed up in the head than everyone makes them out to be.
Patrick
Hero
Hero

Postby Herzog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:42 pm

From his limited knowledge, Zak doesn't recall the actual size of the protection's battery. Perhaps Carson will allow you another look at the busted unit.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Zak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:38 am

Finished eating, Zak pushes his chair back, burping softly.

"Let me get another look at the broken one to be sure that is won't cause a problem. Then, let us get going."

"We need to get there and get back before dark."

He checks with Carson to examine the broken unit more more time to be familiar with it. Afterward, he meets the others as they prepare to exit the community. Zak glances around to see if there is any undue attention at their departure.
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 pm

The group of you finish your extra helpings of breakfast and then make one last check of the old robo unit. Carson gladly shows you where the battery compartment of the protectotron. He's never handle an actually battery before, but the compartment gives you a rough size. It looks to be about the size of two bricks stacked on top of each other. Small enough to carried by one person, either with hands or in a pack.

After the examination, the group of you assembly by the towns gate. The guard on duty eyes you, but then wishes you luck as he opens the gate, closing it once you are all through some distance away. As you start up the old ruined road to the main thorough way heading towards the destination on the map, the weather indeed proves to be good traveling weather.

Upon reaching the main road, you see that it is a 4 lane affair with a concrete divider running down the center. The divider itself is only about three feet tall sometimes disappearing altogether for a 5th lane. Wrecked and burned out hulks of old pre-war cars dot the road and surrounding ruins. In some places, the pavement is so cracked and rubbled that scrub brush has managed to take root and thrive. The sounds of wind whipping by is heard, sometimes carrying the cries of various wasteland wild life. After about a couple of hours of walking, the road has slowly turned in a more northern direction.

Please provide Marching order. Traveling up on the map.

Group Status:
spoiler: show
Code: Select all
            VP      WP
Mercevial:  21/21    16/16
Nathan:     21/21    16/16   
Patrick:    10/10    10/10
Robin:      14/14    15/15
Zak:        13/13    12/12   

GMing
Herzog