Fallout:[IC] - War Never Changes

Image - Welcome to the Wasteland.

Moderator: Herzog

Re: Fallout:[IC] - War Never Changes

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Nathan recoils slightly, caught off guard by Mercevial's question.

"I think we should tell him that we'll do it, then we can decide if we really will when we see how it is out there."

He throws Robin a quick glance, wondering if this better fits his mentality. In truth, he is worried that Carson may be exploiting their ignorance of the wasteland to send them on a job that no one else is willing to do, for good reason, but he figures that it could also be a good opportunity to buy them time and give them a chance to learn more about the wasteland. And the raiders. If the job proves too dangerous or too difficult and they are forced to return empty-handed, Carson can hardly take his lodging back. Although he could take some of our stuff...
Nathan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:49 pm

"Sounds like a better idea than looking for bandits." Patrick answers. "Though from the sounds of it we'll probably meet some anyway... Well then hopefully they're not as psychotic as everyone says..." He glances at Zak. "Yeah, well, most people didn't really want to talk. I don't think the last guys from the vault to come here did much to earn their respect. And since you are so worried about girls right now let me just warn you that their dads have guns." He sounds a bit disappointed as he relates this latest bit of information, then goes on to answer Zak's real question. "I'm not sure we should push our luck with Carson. I mean... He's already taking a risk giving us a free room for the night before we've even done the job, and telling us where this thing is, trusting us to bring it back to him. Trying to get more from him at this point would probably just piss him off."
Patrick
Hero
Hero

Postby Zak » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:33 am

Zak nods as everyone agrees that the job is worth accepting. Quietly he replies to Robin with the other hearing, "It is possible, don't know until I see it for sure. Once we get it, then perhaps we will be in a better position to negotiate."

Moving back to Carson he starts trying to negotiate, "Dude. I think we need some more, benefits, like..."

Um, yeah the job will be fun, but you should give us..."
Seeing that he is stumbling at the attempt, he just gives up.

"Who we kidding, dude. You know we want the job and we will take the deal." Zak holds out his hand to shake on the agreement.

spoiler: show
OOC: Diplomacy (1d20=4) - Ain't going to work.
Fallout
Zak d20 Sheet, The Window Sheet - Played by PMiller
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:55 pm

At Zak's last ditch effort to negotiate and final acceptance of the offer, Carson smiles big and says as he extends his hand to seal the the deal. "Excellent! We have a deal." After shaking the teenager's hand, beckons you back to the reception area as he moves back around the counter. "Here, let me get you set up with a room and such." Spending a quick minute to fill some paper work, and having you sign a guest register of sorts, he eventually hands you a key to one of the rooms upstairs.

"Now then," Carson says as he gives you scrap of paper, "here are the directions to the supermarket that contains the other protection unit. Should be about half-day's walk from here. Just follow the abandon highway like so..." Carson rambles as he gives you the rest of the directions. "Got it?"

Coming back around the counter, he then leads you into the common dinning room, where he gets the cook to set you up with an evening meal. After which he bids you good evening and good luck on the job. "If you have any further questions, I'll be at my counter in the reception area. Have a good evening."
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Patrick » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 am

"Thanks." Patrick says pleasantly as Carson leaves them. Once they're alone with their meals he looks around the table at his companions, "I wonder if there are any bandit girls..." He says to no one in particular. "Um... Hm." He mutters, suddenly seeming to be troubled by the idea. "If we do have to fight bandits tomorrow, we should try not to kill them all if we can help it. They probably know a lot about the area, maybe even more than the people here. And maybe they aren't all as bad as they say. If we could make some friends that owe us for sparing their lives... Hm, I dunno. Probably a stupid idea." He trails off and returns to his meal, taking a moment from time to time to glance at some of the other patrons in the room. Maybe making making friends with bandits was wishful thinking, but the people here who weren't trying to kill them could certainly be potential friends.

After the meal Patrick decides to see if Carson has any more useful info he's willing to spare in exchange for increased chances of mission success. "Thanks again for giving us a chance Mr. Carson." He says with a grin. "You said to ask you if we had any questions and since we're might be meeting them tomorrow I was wondering what you could tell me about the bandits you were mentioning before."
Patrick
Hero
Hero

Postby Zak » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:58 am

Zak looks askance at Patrick, "Ya think bandits attacking us are going to be treating us different than the old dead guy we found?"

"Caution would be best, but if they are hostile, I think the law of the wastelands is to kill them before they kill you. I would rather not die, personally."

"But, if we wound them and they surrender, making them our slaves could prove useful, I suppose. Not a bad idea, Patrick. Though, I did not think you had that sort of thing in you."
He looks down to focus on the food again, leaving the twin unsure if he was serious or kidding him.
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Mercevial Xenn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:17 am

Mercevial pauses in his meal and looks up at Patrick. His eyes show no sign of jest as he says, "Sparing the lives of those who beg for mercy is never a stupid idea, Patrick... it's what keeps us apart from the beasts that walk the land." He takes a mouthful, seemingly lost in his own thoughts for a moment and mutters, "Some of us have just forgotten..."

"But Zak's right...we need to assume the bandits are hostile. Most of the time, like dogs, they'll try to bite until they realize you're the bigger, tougher dog. Then they lie down and submit."

He lets his eyes roam over their table momentarily and adds, "We just need to be the tougher dog."
Mercevial Xenn character sheet

Araella character sheet
Mercevial Xenn
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 am

Carson looks up from his business ledger as Patrick enters the reception area. The boy asks his question and the older man takes a second to formulate an answer. "Son, they are bad men. What more to you want to know? They are thugs, thieves and murders. If you don't have that mentality, they sooner shoot you or sell you to the slavers. If you encounter them tomorrow, you be wise to do the same. At least the shooting part. If you fall in and decide to join with the slavers, you best not be coming back at all." Carson says grimly.
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Patrick » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:36 am

"W-what?" Patrick responds, taken aback by the warning. "I wouldn't... I mean... The way you tell it they probably wouldn't give me the chance to join them even if I wanted to, and they sound like psychos so no way would I want to in the first place." He frowns. "Still, I mean... Everyone's been telling me about how bad they are... Well, you and Darrel have anyway but... Not much in the way of details... I mean. Do they always just come running over the hills shooting? Seems like even they'd be more cautious with ammo than that. Is there anything in particular we should be careful of?" There were a lot more questions he wanted answered, but these seemed to be the most immediate and important.
Patrick
Hero
Hero

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:18 am

Nathan interrupts his meal to scowl at Zak. "I wouldn't trust slaves", he mumbles with a mouthful of food. If Zak's comment was a jest, it was lost on Nathan.

He still isn't convinced that the bandits are as bad as the men of the community want him to believe, but he is beginning to resign to the idea that his companions will shoot them on sight and that he will have no choice but to fire along or risk losing his life.
Nathan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zak » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:29 am

Zak missed the scowl, but heard Nate muttering under his breath and comments casually, "Who would trust them? If I was a slave, I would always try to be free. If the opportunity presented itself, I might even kill to gain my freedom..."

Then he looks up from his food to look at each of his companions in turn.

"Who the fuck am I kidding. We have already killed to gain our freedom."
Fallout
Zak
Legend
Legend

Postby Robin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:40 am

“You can keep slaves under control, but you have to be prepared to be ruthless,” Robin said, matter-of-factly.

He ate hunched over his bowl like a wild animal, eating quickly and with big bites, as if he expected someone would take the food away from him if they finished their meal before he did.

“You have to show them that sticking with you is better than the alternative. You have to make them grateful.”

He shrugged off-handedly.

“Not everyone can do it. If we make the decision to keep slaves then everyone has to be on board.”

Robin glanced at Patrick, briefly.
Last edited by Robin on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Legend
Legend

Postby Patrick » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Patrick stares at Robin in shock. It was one thing to have Zak giving him shit about taking slaves and stuff, he was used to that kind of thing by now, but he was truly surprised by what he was hearing from Robin. "Wha... Why do you... Look, no. I'm not talking about slaves. And you guys probably shouldn't either with the way these guys lump slavers together with the bandits." He hisses. Aside from his surprise at hearing the words coming from his own brother, there was also the problem of where he was saying them. Patrick had always been more socially aware but this was crazy. "Is that what..." He begins to say, but stops himself suddenly as he thinks better of whatever it was.
Patrick
Hero
Hero

Postby Herzog » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:08 am

Patrick wrote:"W-what?" Patrick responds, taken aback by the warning. "I wouldn't... I mean... The way you tell it they probably wouldn't give me the chance to join them even if I wanted to, and they sound like psychos so no way would I want to in the first place." He frowns. "Still, I mean... Everyone's been telling me about how bad they are... Well, you and Darrel have anyway but... Not much in the way of details... I mean. Do they always just come running over the hills shooting? Seems like even they'd be more cautious with ammo than that. Is there anything in particular we should be careful of?" There were a lot more questions he wanted answered, but these seemed to be the most immediate and important.

Carson shrugs, "Usually they use hit and run tactics. Striking at caravans and traders normally. The bolder may attempt a night raid on some unprotected settlement. If you are out there in the wasteland, best just be on your guard. If you some some one and they don't look friendly, be prepared to shoot first and ask questions later. Raiders and bandits are usually pretty obvious to spot if you see them first."
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby Herzog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Patrick gets about all the information Carson is going to give about bandits, and the like, and eventually joins the rest of you again. The evening draws to a close and the conversations in the common room die down. After awhile of quiet discussion, thinking, and pondering, the group of you eventually retire to your room for the night. The room itself is certainly a step down from after living in a vault all these years, but it is serviceable with 5 small cot like beds and lockbox and access to what passes as bathrooms.

At least your second night outside the vault is less stressful and passes without incident.

Closing this thread down, new thread here: Ch 2 - Welcome to the Wasteland
GMing
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to Fallout [The Window]