The Guild's Main OOC Discussions

Image Image Image
This is a location-based series of adventures.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: The Guild's Main OOC Discussions

Postby Herzog » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:21 am

Have you actually tried going back and counting the posts in say like group B or C?
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:00 am

No I have not. I haven't had the time. LOL

But I am not looking at it retroactively. I am considering it to help motivate new members to participate more.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby DM Helios » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:05 am

I think that:
1)It would be a lot of work for the DM. I do not see myself going back through a whole adventure to count the number of times each player has posted.
2)It would penalize the players for things that are, sometimes, out of their control. For exemple, there are 7-8 weeks every summer that are more difficult for me, as you may remember. My only game at the time was Saltmarsh, but I would have hated for Hellsing to fall behind the rest of her party during that time, and then not be given the chance to catch up until the other players lag.
3)I believe that players most players who leave do so because they realize that Pbp is not their thing. I doubt that 2-3 Exp per post would make them change their minds.
DM Helios

Postby PMiller » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks Helios, that was a perspective I needed. I can see players abusing it for the free swag and focusing quantity rather than quality too. I guess it comes down, do we need to do it? Answer is probably not.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Sebastian Bach » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 am

Personally, I feel (and always have) that role playing should be rewarded (and should really be its own reward). That means that a few well thought out posts would be better than a quantity of poor ones, but worse than a daily posting of characterised posts. Any reward should be based not only on the frequency, but also the validity of each posts.

I am sort of for this idea.
Sebastian Bach
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 am

Yes I have played with DMs that provide bonus XP for good role-playing. However, as a policy that was not something I would make a house rule in the Guild since it is very subjective. I have never tried to provide those rewards in my other games either. Maybe because I never felt qualified to be a good judge about that before.

But I have developed a lot as a DM and a player in the last 9 months, so maybe I should think about that. Thanks, Seb.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Phaeral Oeri » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:23 am

I'm not sure if this would work for something as structured as the Guild, but since we are discussing it...

What I used to do is give XP awards that were ad hoc and entirely subjective. So, if I noticed that one player posted frequently and always made meaningful posts that helped forward the action, I gave a reward for that. Or if another player came up with good combat strategies, I awarded that. I gave awards for anything that struck me at the time, from displaying good leadership skills and helping new PCs integrate into the group, or helping other players with the rules OOC, or helping the DM with something, or good roleplaying, or a particularly great post. It does mean that while the DM doesn't have to laboriously keep track of post counts, he does have to pay attention to what the players are doing.

So in Group C, I would have given Rahn a reward for adding up the value of all the junk we found, and to Gothrom for coming up with the current battle plan, and to Brunhilde for helping other players with rules clarifications. That's just off the top of my head, I'm probably missing something, but you get the idea.

It's not meant to reward everyone equally, as people who contribute more will get more XP in general, but it is meant to reward players in whichever way they excel. But like I said, since it's ad hoc, it might not work for something as structured as the Guild.
Phaeral Oeri
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 am

Thanks for that. I always thought myself more of a gamer than a RPer so I always have been more into rewarding things as outlined in the DMG. But I had not returned my thoughts again to ad-hoc rewards as you outlined. Of course you are also more of a nurturer than I am. :D

I guess what brought the whole discussion up for me originally months ago was what would encourage people to participate more. New members join and some stay. Many don't and I don't know their actual reasons, but I don't think there is much we can do differently there except be as welcoming as we can.

However, those of us regular veterans of the sight are probably not going to go anywhere and these ad-hoc rewards are nice touches, but the help people provide and things they do in game are all part of who they are and why I like playing with them. The one thing I was looking to improve was people lurking in their own games. One of my pet peeves is seeing someone post in another game 2-3 times and leave another game hanging, waiting for them to take their turn or just participate. This is not a big issue at the moment, but there were times where that really annoys me.

However after careful consideration, I have concluded that players are fickle. What interests some, doesn't necessarily interest others. And never mind RL getting in the way. I don't think the ad-hoc rewards would really change these people that prioritize their games differently or keep new players from staying if they are leaving. Though a player like me could potentially clean up on those rewards when I look at some of the things I have done in the past year.

Rather than discuss ad-hoc rewards and free swag, let's look at something else. Of the players currently active in the Guild, is the leveling up progression too slow? I look at Saltmarsh and those guys are on the brink of 3rd level. Their pace is not as high as games in the Guild, but they have almost been running a year now. Then I look at the characters that started in the first groups in the Guild and have remained active this entire time. Raddick is in the lead and he can see 3rd level not too far off, but Brunhilde will pass him after Group C's next encounter. But with Uthgar and Sefrenia leveling up, almost all of the original characters still active have gained a level. Aukan and Germain are the exceptions.

I look at this and realize that is quite an accomplishment. But was it too slow? Dunno. However, I have been beefing up encounters in PbP more to help accelerate things and have been doing that since the beginning.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby DM Bot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 am

Aukan feels it is rather slow :(

haha, though the games he's been in weren't exactly fast paced.

Still, I've always felt that first timer's appreciate a little more leveling; gives them the excitement of advancing their character a bit and then they tend to take more of an interest.
DM Bot

Postby Xan Chow-Huan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:00 am

I like the speed we are advancing, gives me time to think about what I want to do next level.

I also like the xp reward for posting, but it should not be on just the number of posts. This makes it tedious on the DM and encourages smaller posts to increase the number of them. I think free form rewards, giving an xp bonus for making you laugh, or for someone having a good idea. Reward someone for sticking in character even if it is detrimental to them, stuff like that.
Xan Chow-Huan
Legend
Legend

Postby DM Sirine » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:29 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that DM-PMiller is okay (see: earthquake in Japan) but may have spotty internet coverage for a time. I'm sure he will post and update us on his situation when he can, and get back to the games when things calm down for him.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Xan Chow-Huan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 am

Thanks for the update and glad to hear everyone is okay!
Xan Chow-Huan
Legend
Legend

Postby DM Ari » Tue May 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello everyone. Been a long time since I've been on the forums but my life has gained some semblance of normalcy recently. Just checking in here to see if there are any openings in the Adventurer's Guild. Hope everyone is doing well.
Dming
Absolutely Nothing
DM Ari

Postby Herzog » Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 am

Yo, welcome back.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend