The Guild's Main OOC Discussions

Image Image Image
This is a location-based series of adventures.

Moderator: PMiller

Postby GerOge » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Ha! If you raise em on fresh milk and cornbread, scoundrels will come to woo em ere long.

Just let me know if the character gets too insufferable. I'm happy to tone him down a notch at any time. :D
GerOge and Germain Ogenath in The Guild
GerOge
Legend
Legend

Postby DM Ari » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:26 pm

No worries, it makes for a funny character so far. Nice mix between funny and annoying. I'm looking forward to whenever Lena tries to leave him in a dungeon or something.
Dming
Absolutely Nothing
DM Ari

Postby latvius » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:48 am

Yeah it's great GerOge, very entertaining!
Playing
Xan Chow-Huan in The Adventurers Guild
Dan Givins Dept 7
Frakas in Adventures of Golarion
latvius
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:10 am

I locked this thread for awhile, so you guys will use the Game#1 OOC thread for chatter related to that game instead. That way there won't be any confusion. :wink:

This thread is intended for more general issues related to the Adventurer's Guild itself. If/when a Game #2 starts then there won't be confusion since both games will have separate OOC threads and this one will be for issues not related to specific games. If it turns out this thread isn't really needed, I will remove it down the road.

Please be patient with me if I seem a little anal or particular about details as the Adventurer's Guild Forum is still evolving.

{This ends this public service announcement. Thank you.}
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Shadow Templar » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Guess this would apply to all the games, if anyone has item creation feats or plans on getting them.

What do you say about intentionally creating cursed items? Dram ain't stupid, and I think his alignment will allow such underhanded tactics when they serve it's purpose. Come to think of it, even a chaotic good character could do this against an evil foe, heh.
Shadow Templar
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby PMiller » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Never thought about crafting. I will think about when it comes up IC which will likely be quite a ways down the road.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:01 am

Okay here's the deal with the future of the Guild Games.

I cannot run 3 separate Guild games for very long, I need to stick with 2. DM Bot will continue to run a Guild game as well so we will have 3 games. In the long run. If Helios comes back to DMing we may get a fourth in the fall, who knows.

However the 3 newest members will not have to sit around and wait, I will run something for them to get their characters in play and provide them some XP and treasure to be on par with the other members until Game #1 and #3 finish their dungeons. I estimate this will be about mid-August.

Reshuffling: Now a few people have expressed interest in reshuffling the groups between adventures and I always thought that was a good idea, giving players a chance to play with different people. Also is helps to spread the veterans of URPGs and the new members around as well.

We have essentially 13-14 players, counting the newest members and both myself and DM Bot's characters. So I am ultimately planning to have 10 of the players split into two groups of five for my two games. That leaves myself and 3 others in Game #2.

Also at the time of reshuffle, 2 of our replacement players can drop the characters they took over and create their own. I have also said we would allow some retooling of characters in between adventures, and I will even allow a completed rebuild if someone wants. In that case a player can keep their XP and wealth (treasure and gear) and change everything else. This might be desirable if the new groups want a more balanced party to cover all of their roles.

So in the reshuffling I will not necessarily look at who is playing what character in every case, but rather who the players are, to try and determine a good mix. So before anyone posts or PMs me about wanting to be in this or that group or they want to play with this or that person, please don't! It's not a popularity contest. The only input I am really interested in considering is if certain players do not want to play with certain others. If there is bad chemistry that I don't know about already, it makes sense for everyone involved that I put those people in separate groups. If you have those issues, send me a PM and I will keep it confidential and take it into consideration. Likewise if two players are playing very similar characters (i.e. Uthgar and Aukan with their barbarians) and they don't intend to change their builds, it makes sense to put them in separate groups. However in the reshuffle, Herzog is probably going to only continue with one of his characters so that example is just that, an example.

The next adventure: Some of you know this, but others do not, the first adventure was actually something I made for my 5 year old son, so it was very light on story and easy for me to run given my schedule. So far feedback I have received from people has been positive; everyone likes bashing kobolds I guess.

The follow on adventures will have to be similar in style. I will emphasize more on the mechanics of play and tactical battle grids, versus a role-playing story. I do not have the time or ability to create a great story adventure from scratch. I rely on published modules for those kind of games. Also the Guild games was intended as a place for people to get their feet wet here at URPGs and learn from the other players, so I don't think a complex story line full of mystery and puzzles is a good idea either.

So rather than solicit input on what type of adventure/scenario people would like to play (I could not possibly accommodate 10 different opinions anyway), I will figure it out on my own based on what I can do. I have a library of published material to pick from and I am sure I can come up with something.

So I will let this sink in and people can PM me if they need to.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Blick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:55 pm

That sounds very workable and a good change up.

I am worried about too many PCs being too eager to kill poor innocent cute Kobolds though
Blick
Villager
Villager

Postby DM Bot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:08 pm

@Blick, as long as they have cool pics like that, I'm sure Aukan won't want to squish you lol.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

With Miller announcing his changes I should also note that I will be wrapping up Game #2 around the same time so that the players in that game can partake in the shuffle.

Originally I had hoped to try and turn Game #2 into an actual game but unfortunately I've run myself into what feels like a corner as far as creativity goes and rather than try and drag the party through the muck of writer's block I'd prefer to give you guys a better chance than that.
DM Bot

Postby Blick » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Bot, as far as a creativity crisis goes, I find that that is a good time to let the characters into their own trouble. I can't recall how many times I would kind of open it up and let them roam through town and within 5 minutes one of them would get into something they shouldn't have and WALA! instant adventure. Besides PCs are notoriously easy to steal from as they are usually loaded down with so much gear they really don't notice when they get something lifted...something important...something magical...something they have to chase culprits down for, into the underbelly of the city...

Don't let the pic fool you though. 1st level Blick is a far cry less impressive than that.
Blick
Villager
Villager

Postby J » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm

I just wanna say FTR that the pic is the bad ass-est looking kobold I have ever seen.
J
Villager
Villager

Re: The Guild's Main OOC Discussions

Postby PMiller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:37 am

Hmm, not sure how many people follow this thread, but there hasn't been need to discuss anything across the Guild groups in quite a while.

A thing to discuss:

I am considering an XP/gp award policy tied to posting frequency. I have see this in practice in a Living World game. In my normal campaigns I tend to leave things pretty normal and keep all the characters at even experience. But here, we don't have any groups with the same experience across all the players so keeping them at the same XP is not going to happen.

So I am thinking of awarding 2-3XP & 2-3 gp per day they posted IC over the course of an adventure. When the group returns back the common room, the DM can count each player's posts IC, checking time stamps in case they post more than once in a single day. I think it might encourage people to participate a little bit more if they are rewarded for not lurking in their own game. People who post daily will be rewarded for their time spent.

I haven't made up my mind about this yet, but would like open the floor to opinions and discussion.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Doros » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:33 pm

sounds cool to me, I'm not going to say no to free cheese
Doros
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby Herzog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:18 pm

I like free experience and gold, but this idea does put an extra burden on the DMs. And perhaps it will make the Guild a more hopping place.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 am

Yes it does create more work, but it is something similar to what is being used in the Living Pathfinder and I was wondering what people thought. However they just use it for time served in an adventure, not checking daily activity.

But I am wondering if it will actually work or not. I need more opinions methinks.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Adventurers' Guild [3.5ed]