The Glitterhame [IC]

Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Vlad » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:01 am

Vlad shuffled to the side and stood next to Morrolan. He wasn't sure what to make of the woman yet. Hellsing's cautionary warning might not be in vain.

"Indeed, Idalla. Who is the wizard that imprison you. Has he a name? And how long is a long time?"

The swashbuckler thought to keep the woman talking. It would give the group a chance to determine her motives. Or if she was something else, her patience would wear thin.

"It is as my companions have said. Finding youself in this abandon and ransacked stronghold is very strange indeed. After all, we've only seen the undead and other nefarious creatures.

actions | Show
Free Action:
Move Action: L62
Standard Action: sense motive check: http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread. ... st11915921, 11

Vlad Mini-stats | Show
Init +4, Speed 30ft
AC 20 , Tch 15, FF 16
HP 53/53
Fort+6 , Ref +4 , Will +1
Conditions: None
Weapon in Hand: rapier
Vlad
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:04 am

Day 14, 11:55 - The FoundryImage
Idalla looked on the verge of tears, in fact one even rolled down her cheek. She kept her hands clasped together and continued to plead as she took a step closer to the door, but made no attempt to step through it. "Why are you backing away? Please, do not leave me here."

"I will not try to harm you," she said looking at the elven woman who went so far as to nock at arrow. "Please free me from this enchanted prison."

She looked to Vlad and Morrolan, "If you would, I would even gladly reward you with a kiss... That includes him," she nodded to the dwarf, "if he wants... even all of you. Just please do not leave me here!"

"I don't know of any grey bearded one. The foul wizard had dark hair and pointed little beard with a thin mustache that curled at the ends."

"I know nought his name. I had not seen him before he imprisoned me here. He could be back any time or days, I do not know. He must be down below, perhaps? I do not know. I have been trapped in this room and have not seen the light of day for a long time. It is too long to tell for sure how long it has been when there is no means of tracking the passage of days."

"Please, you cannot leave me here! You would not be so cruel to abandon me here would you?" she begged with another tear slowly going down her cheek.

Near as everyone could tell, Idalla was being truthful without any signs of deception.

Tactical Map | Show
Notes:
1. Cavern squares with more than 25% being filled by walls are considered difficult terrain and invoke squeezing penalties (-4 AC & Attacks)
2. Broken benches, medium bodies provide difficult terrain for medium creatures or smaller.

Combat Information | Show
Illumination: Continual Flame headbands (Morrolan & Vlad)

Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       53/53 HP remaining;
Orekk:      56/56 HP remaining;  Longstrider (1566r);
Hellsing:   50/50 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   56/56 HP remaining; 3 Wisdom Dmg;
Araella:    37/37 HP remaining; Mage Armor (3237r);
  Sid:      18/18 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect for all: None

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->4/5; 1st Level-> 0/5; 2nd Level-> 4/5; 3rd Level-> 2/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 2/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (34 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (41 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 4/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 5/7; 2nd Level-> 2/4
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 1/6; 1st Level-> 0/7; 2nd Level-> 1/6; 3rd Level-> 2/4
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby FrancisJohn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:40 am

Araella simply stands there, and wrinkles her nose in equal parts confusion and frustration. She places her hands on her hips and offers a simple question. "Well, I-Idalla... the door is open... couldn't you know.... just leave?" Her brow furrows at the possible ignorance of her inquiry.

Actions | Show

Araella's Mini-Stats | Show
Character Sheet
HP: 37/37 NL: 0
Init: +6

AC: 17 Flat: 17 Touch: 15
Fort: 4 Ref: 4 Will: 7

Level 0: 1/6
Level 1: 0/7
Level 2: 1/6
Level 3: 2/4

Light Crossbow: +6 1d8 (armed)
Morningstar: +2 1d8-1

Bluff: +13
Concentration: +11
K. Arcana: +11
Spellcraft: +13
Use Magic Device: +13
FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Hellsing frowned, somewhat disconcerted by the woman’s initial offer to reward only Morrolan and Vlad with a kiss – if indeed that was not a euphemism for something more. The offer was later extended to Orekk, if somewhat reluctantly, then herself and Araella as well. As if it mattered.

She raised her brows askance.

Hellsing raised her voice to speak clearly and firmly.

“Idalla. It is not cruelty, but caution, that motivates us now. Several times in this place we have encountered something that looked harmless upon first glance but later proved to be much more than it seemed, and magic was responsible.”

She glanced over at Araella, giving her a significant look. The magicked carpet was surely fresh in the sorceress’ mind, after her brush with death. Even Morrolan had joked that Araella might find herself attacking inanimate objects upon little provocation in the future, and be fully justified to do so, after her experience. Hellsing also thought of her own lack of caution in stepping boldly into a room with skeletons, expecting only the long dead, but encountering undead instead. She would not make that mistake again.

“So hear me now. If you are what you say you are, then we will do what is right. For now, please remain calm and answer our questions.”

As far as Hellsing could tell, the woman was being truthful. But the facts did not seem to add up. That meant one of two things – that the woman was such a good liar that she gave no sign of falsehood, or that she was telling the truth but leaving out parts that would explain the inconsistencies, either by design or through naivete. She was an odd creature, in any case. Perhaps naivete did explain her actions, and her offer to reward them with ‘kisses’. But Hellsing felt there was more to it. She had noted that the woman chose her words carefully, going so far as to say ‘I will not try to harm you.’ ‘Try’ being the operative word. It bespoke a kind of linguistic chicanery that allowed her words to be true on the surface but the real meaning to be buried far below.

“What are you, Idalla? You seem much more than you appear. Are you truly human? Or are you something else? Why did the wizard imprison you? What value are you to him? What does he take from you, or require you to do?”

spoiler: show
Move Action: stay put.
Standard Action: None.

Free Action: None.
Current AC: 21 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (17 Flatfooted, 16 Touch)
Current HP: 50/50 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Composite Longbow.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend

Postby FrancisJohn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Oh, I'm such a fool!

As soon as Hellsing's piercing eyes met her own, Araella bashfully looked down and stared at the ground. Her cheeks turned red and she offered a bashful smile as she failed keep her foot out of her mouth.

You really did this time, didn't you Araella! Why do always have to say something! Idiot! It's quite obvious you should have just let Hellsing talk in the first place. Sometimes you are really out of your league you know....

This short and abrasive exchange conjured up all of those unpleasant feelings when her she knew her parents were right about anything and everything and she didn't have the face to admit it to herself. Araella sullenly stands in place, hoping this situation resolves itself much sooner rather later.

Actions | Show

Character Sheet

FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sirfinn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:54 am

The dwarf had been in deep thought while his companions spoke to the young woman, "I know no spells which might sustain a human for a long time unless they be suspended in magical sleep or using a magic ring of sorts." Orekk frowned, knowing he would need to touch to lass to pierce any illusion or disguise she was currently cloaked in, "This feels wrong yet I can't place a finger upon it to explain why."
"Maybe she be cloaked in illusion magics and a kiss is something a devil woman might offer to seduce us."

"Hellsing is there any warding runes upon the floor or doorway?"
"The other option is to let me sit in prayer for a little while and prepare a zone of truth." Orekk left the suggestion and potentially implied threat for the lass to ponder upon.

Actions | Show
Move Action: stay at K-59 Use
Standard action: Shield and Masterwork Morningstar ready

Pierce Illusion (Su): At 3rd level, the church inquisitor gains the supernatural ability to penetrate illusions and disguises at will. The inquisitor must touch an illusion or a creature shrouded in illusion (such as a change self spell). The inquisitor then makes a caster level check as if casting dispel magic against the illusion effect. If he succeeds at this check, the illusion is immediately dispelled. The church inquisitor's +4 bonus on dispel checks (the Inquisition domain granted power) applies to this check as well. In addition, the inquisitor has a +4 competence bonus on Spot checks against the Disguise skill.

Touch of Healing ( Complete Champion, p. 62)
[Reserve] You can channel divine energy into healing with a touch.
Prerequisite Ability to cast 2nd-level spells,
Benefit :As long as you have a conjuration (healing) spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can spend a standard action to touch a target creature and heal 3 points of damage per level of the highest-level conjuration (healing) spell you have available to cast. You can use this ability only on a target that has been reduced to one-half or fewer of its total hit points. The effect ends once you've healed the subject up to half its normal maximum hit points. This ability has no effect on creatures that can't be healed by cure spells. As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting conjuration (healing) spells.

Orekk's Mini-Stats | Show
Orekk's Sheet
Current AC: 23 (12 Touch/22 Flatfoot) (+1 deflection bonus to AC against attacks from evil creatures.).
Current HP: 43/56
Current Weapon In Hand: Masterwork Morningstar.
Spells In Effect: Longstrider, Know Dev +2 vs. Deurgar
Conditions: None.

Orekk Spells Remaining: Orisons->4/5; 1st Level-> 2/5; 2nd Level-> 5/5; 3rd Level-> 2/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (44 charges)
sirfinn
Legend
Legend

Postby Morrolan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:02 pm

A damsel in distress?Morrolan still did not understand where the others were seeing lies. Near as he could tell, the damsel was telling the truth. A kiss from a beautiful maiden was often a good reward, but he could understand if Hellsing and Orekk did not want it. To him, Idalla hardly looked threatening at all... but he too recalled the rug and other things. He spoke out of the side of his mouth, "Most of our difficulties have been our own carelessness, Hellsing. The inanimate rug and dummies being really the only true surprises down here. Outside of that goblin lair, we really have little experience in the trickeries of dungeon delving."

He remained blocking the doorway to the chamber with the pool as Hellsing and Orekk grilled the woman.

Morrolan could detect magical auras a few more times for the day and this appeared to be one of those situations he should. "I can look to see if there is an aura around the door, woman, and room."

Actions | Show
Sense Motive(14)

Activate Detect Magic again

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/56 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain (both)

Current Conditions: 3 Wisdom Dmg (-2 Will SV, Spot/Listen)
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 2/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 4/7
2nd-level remaining: 2/4
Morrolan
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:14 am

Day 14, 11:55 - The FoundryThere was a magical aura visible to Morrolan’s sight, causing Idalla to glow. It was a strong aura, but not from the Illusion School of magic. It was conjuration magic. There were no auras coming from the doorway itself, or the threshold.

Idalla told Araella, “The wizard has put a spell on me so I cannot leave on my own. I think if you asked me to step through the door, it could break the enchantment and I could pass through.”

She started to cry and sob as Hellsing continued to be mean and demand answers to questions, many she did not know the answers to. “I have been telling you the truth. Why don’t you believe me?”

“I am a woman from another plane. Have you heard of the aasimar? I don’t know why the wizard summoned me here! I do not EVEN know where here is!”

“You are the first ones I have seen in a forever. The wizard never said why. Maybe because I am pretty to look at and he enjoys torturing me with the boredom of this library. He does not come to feed me or even talk. At least I have not felt hungry since I have been here, since surely I would have starved or died of thirst long ago!”

She turned away sobbing, falling to her knees with her face covered with her hands. Her shoulders shaking heaving, her voice could be heard softly between the sobs, “This… must be… more… of his... cruel… torture…”

Tactical Map | Show
Notes:
1. Cavern squares with more than 25% being filled by walls are considered difficult terrain and invoke squeezing penalties (-4 AC & Attacks)
2. Broken benches, medium bodies provide difficult terrain for medium creatures or smaller.

Party Status:
Orekk:      56/56 HP remaining;  Longstrider (1566r);
Araella:    37/37 HP remaining; Mage Armor (3237r);

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->4/5; 1st Level-> 0/5; 2nd Level-> 4/5; 3rd Level-> 2/4
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 4/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 5/7; 2nd Level-> 2/4
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 1/6; 1st Level-> 0/7; 2nd Level-> 1/6; 3rd Level-> 2/4
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Morrolan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:32 pm

A damsel in distress?Morrolan kept concentrating on the spell to examine the aura longer. He was not expecting something of the conjuration school of magic if the woman was magically disguised. He had expected something from the schools of Illusion or Transformation. However, he was no wizard.

“Well, Orekk, I do not see any magical warding on the door and Hellsing has already thoroughly checked it for traps.”

“However, I can see a magical aura shimmering around Idalla, but it is of the Conjuration School of magic, not Illusionary… Transformation or Enchantment either.”

“Still, I am not sure if we should enter the room or not, if merely entering it would trap us in there with Idalla. Sorry, I am no wizard and I just do not know. If the imprisonment enchantment would prevent my own spell of dimensional hopping, that would be bad.”

He had heard of the outsiders called Aasimar though. “The Aasimar are a celestial-blooded race of outsiders. They are said to be beautiful and tend toward good, but there could be exceptions, I am sure. I suppose an evil wizard trapping a good celestial-blooded woman is not that completely unbelievable.”

Actions | Show
Knowledge Arcana (14)
Spellcraft (14)
Knowledge The Planes (21)

Detect Magic still active

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/56 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain (both)

Current Conditions: 3 Wisdom Dmg (-2 Will SV, Spot/Listen)
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 2/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 4/7
2nd-level remaining: 2/4
Morrolan
Legend
Legend

Postby FrancisJohn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 am

Araella, still hot in the face, listens to Morralan's thoughts. She speaks up, but with much less authority in her previous tones. "M-m-maybe we should ask her to leave? But be prepared for any new tricks? I don't think we should go walking in there anytime soon, then maybe we can see if the aura stays in the room or with her....." The sorcerer purposely avoids eye contact with Hellsing.

Actions | Show

Character Sheet

FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sirfinn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:14 am

"Well then." Orekk stowed his morningstar and relaxed his shield position.
"Lets see what is what then."
"Everyone stay on thy guard while I go touch the lass and get a better idea on what we be facing."

Orekk strode forth to the doorway, his armoured hand outstretched to touch Idalla. (which he will do unless she backs away or avoids the interaction .

Actions | Show
Move Action: stay at M-61 Use
Standard action: Shield at side and use supernatural ability to penetrate illusions and disguises at will. Will save: 25 Disguise spot: 10 Know Planes: (Assimar) 21
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread. ... 784&page=5

Pierce Illusion (Su): At 3rd level, the church inquisitor gains the supernatural ability to penetrate illusions and disguises at will. The inquisitor must touch an illusion or a creature shrouded in illusion (such as a change self spell). The inquisitor then makes a caster level check as if casting dispel magic against the illusion effect. If he succeeds at this check, the illusion is immediately dispelled. The church inquisitor's +4 bonus on dispel checks (the Inquisition domain granted power) applies to this check as well. In addition, the inquisitor has a +4 competence bonus on Spot checks against the Disguise skill.

Benefit :As long as you have a conjuration (healing) spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can spend a standard action to touch a target creature and heal 3 points of damage per level of the highest-level conjuration (healing) spell you have available to cast. You can use this ability only on a target that has been reduced to one-half or fewer of its total hit points. The effect ends once you've healed the subject up to half its normal maximum hit points. This ability has no effect on creatures that can't be healed by cure spells. As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting conjuration (healing) spells.

Orekk's Sheet
Current AC: 23 (12 Touch/22 Flatfoot) (+1 deflection bonus to AC against attacks from evil creatures.).

Orekk Spells Remaining: Orisons->4/5; 1st Level-> 2/5; 2nd Level-> 5/5; 3rd Level-> 2/4
sirfinn
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:40 am

Day 14, 11:56 - The FoundryThere was no illusion to pierce as Morrolan had learned from the auras. Orekk could not tell if there the woman was wearing a disguise or not, but there was no evidence that he saw that she was. Both the dwarf and the duskblade knew that the Aasimar were a celestial blooded race that had some natural resistances to some of the elements and were not a common race of Outsiders.

Idalla's shoulders were still heaving with her soft sobs or frustration. She spoke with some petulance, "I am no... illusion... nor... am I... wearing a disguise..."

Orekk did not notice anything unusual as he reached out, over the threshold of the room to touch the woman on the back. Nothing unusual happened. Her flesh was solid and soft like expected.

Tactical Map | Show
Notes:

Party Status:
Orekk:      56/56 HP remaining;  Longstrider (1556r);
Araella:    37/37 HP remaining; Mage Armor (3227r);

DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

Hellsing spoke quietly to her remaining colleagues, frowning as the woman began to cry.

“Well, her being an aasimar would explain why she is being imprisoned by this wizard. That was a missing piece we needed to understand what is going on here.”

She weighed all they had observed thusfar, and shook her head.

“At this point, we have no clear evidence that she is deceiving us. There are still some odd things about her story, but unless we have other ways to check, I believe we should give her the benefit of the doubt and help her. I think she may be different than she appears to our eyes. I think it is possible that she might be very young, only a child. That would explain some of her behaviors.”
[url]Hellsing[/url]
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend

Postby FrancisJohn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Araella stands there waiting holding her breath. Everything Hellsing said seemed logical. How do I find myself in such odd situations. I guess that's what I get for signing up for this.... interesting adventure. Snapping back to the present moment after her internal conversation (which happens more often then not), all Araella could do was offer a weak nod of affirmation. She would just have to wait and see who made the next move. It certainly wouldn't be Araella.

Actions | Show

Character Sheet

FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sirfinn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 pm

"Not what I expected." Orekk admitted, "Grasp my hand, Idalla and see if you can walk out of the room now we have breeched the door."
'If this doesn't work we will need to enter the room.' Orekk thought to himself.

Actions | Show
Move Action: stay at M-61 Use
Standard action: Grasp Idalla's hand and gently pull her through the doorway.

Orekk's Sheet

sirfinn
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]