The Glitterhame [IC]

Image Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 am

Day 14, 09:09 - The GlitterhameHellsing didn't find a way to lock the door, but her effort to disarm the trap remained in effect.

You assembled and made your way down the grand stair, deeper into the dwarven stronghold.

The narrow crevasse curved downward quite a long ways, twisting and turning. The had been cut into hundreds of shallow steps, but the walls and ceiling were still natural rock. About 60 feet down a rushing stream spilled down from a narrow crack to your left and crossed the stairway, disappearing into a narrow winding tunnel to your right. The rill was only about 2 or 3 feet wide and would be tricky to navigate and stay dry.

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider (Cast at 9:02am)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 4/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Vlad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:32 am

Vlad was constantly glancing around as the group descended the staircase. The dwarves that built the place must have counted themselves luckily in not having to carve out the entire crevasse. All they had to do was chisel in stairs. But it was still a good example of their craftsmanship, despite the fact that the swashbuckler was feeling a bit claustrophobic.

As the group stopped before the stream crossing the stairs, Vlad wondered if that was by design or a recently addition. He peered down the winding tunnel the stream descended into, and figured it was the former.

"Well, fancy ourselves getting wet and check out the side passage or continue down the stairs?" he asked the group.

The side passage was narrow and it might be tough going single file. If they ran into trouble down that path, it would not be a good experience. And it could always be a dead end.

"Or perhaps one of us should scout it out first to see if it's worth our time?"

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: everburning torch in offhand, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:53 pm

“I can do that,” Hellsing said.

She was not like some of her kin in that being underground didn’t give her suffocating claustrophobia. Though she loved the forest and wild spaces, she not hate caverns and tunnels, because to her, those were wild spaces as well, filled with an infinite variety of flora and fauna, untamed in their own way.

She found the scent of damp, loamy earth refreshing, and the cold spray of the stream invigorating.

Hellsing peered into the crevasse.

“I will go a ways and find out what lies beyond what we can see, then report back, if we are in agreement.”

spoiler: show
Move Action: as above.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:12 am

Morrolan was still a bit back and could not see down the side tunnel. Nor could he see the bottom of the stairs, either.

"It is up to you, lass. If you do scout in the wee tunnel, do you want us to wait here or move along? While we are not exactly in a hurry, it might take all week if we try exploring every little nook and cranny too."

The duskblade shrugged.

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion +1, PA -5/+10
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
Morrolan's Sheet
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:46 am

“Go ahead,” Hellsing said to Morrolan. “As long as the stair continues down at the same angle, you should not have a problem. I will catch up.”

She slipped into the crevasse, placing her steps carefully and looking around, for trap or foe.

spoiler: show
Move Action: to D80, then continue along the wall. Not sure if I need to roll balance, but here it is, just in case:

Balance - 1d20+4=20

Spot - 1d20+12=25

Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Vlad » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Vlad nodded as Hellsing volunteered to check it out. He figured the elf would, and she really was the best among them for this sort of thing.

“Alright, thanks Hellsing. Check it out, but don’t spend too much time on it. We’ll busy ourselves on crossing the stream and such.”

Morrolan was also right in that they didn't need to spend time checking every nook and cranny.

Vlad moved up to the edge of the stream and looked to the far side to check if the steps would pose a slip hazard. He then jumped across to the other side.

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action: Move to E79, and jump across
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: everburning torch in offhand, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Orekk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Orekk scowls at the rough stonework of the tunnel and the winding rill. While he seems none too impressed with the workmanship, it's clear he is at ease within the natural rock tunnels.

"Indeed. Stay careful, Hellsing. I ken traverse that there rill with ease if ya need aid or darkvision. You ken see more'n me o'course." The dwarf's tone is somewhat protective of the scout, though more than certain of her skill.

Retreating to the north, the cleric drops into a runner's stance. A moment later, his stubby legs chug toward the stream and he bounds across, safely to the other side.

spoiler: show
Standard Actions: Maintain Detect Evil (sp)
Move: Cross stream with 20ft run and jump.1d20-4=9Free: Speak.

Current AC: 23 (22 Flatfooted, 12 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Large Shield
Racial: Stonecunning (auto-search +2), +2 save vs poison, spells and spell-like effects
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider, Detect Evil
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:56 am

Day 14, 09:10 - The GlitterhameHellsing cautiously moved through the narrow tunnel as it also descended somewhat steeply with the stream and came upon a small chamber. The floor was uneven and there were splattering of dung and droppings. Possible from bats or those stirges that were seen earlier. Up in the ceiling there were narrow cracks and fissures that possible lead much higher than she could see. But she could feel some air flow coming from the chamber like it was open to the outside. Perhaps if one were a bat or a stirge it was possible to find the way out.

Meanwhile the rest of you crossed the stream and continued down the stairs. The descending fissure opened up into a very high cavern, with a ceiling easily 40 feet or more overhead. The stairway continued to wind down, descending a ledge along the north wall of the chamber. A fast moving stream about 5 feet wide ran across the floor of the chamber and disappeared under a low stone overhang to the south, while the cavern continued onwards to the east.

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider (Cast at 9:02am)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 4/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 am

Hellsing stared up at the ceiling for a moment. She could feel fresh air on her face, and it comforted her. Though the air still smelled damp and heavy with minerals, there was still a crispness to it that she found refreshing. She crossed the stream and crouched down at the lip of the chamber, looking around carefully.

After a few seconds, she rose and looked around the chamber, curious.

spoiler: show
Move Action: to D89, pause, then search the chamber - Search - 1d20+12=18

Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:02 am

Day 14, 09:10 - The GlitterhameHellsing looked up, but still could not see any sign of daylight coming down from above. If the narrow crevasses and fissures did lead to the surface it was probably a long way up and definitely not straight.

There was a body of what appeared to be a dwarven explorer in the small chamber. It was long dead and had a drained look to it with the remains of its dried skin sagged downwards. It was covered with dung droppings as well, so many that she had thought it was part of the floor on her first glance of the chamber.

Looking more closely, she found a belt pouch that contained some coins (35 gp).

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider (Cast at 9:02am)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 4/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:17 am

“Hmm.”

Hellsing wondered what had killed the dwarf, but it was probably impossible to say, given the amount of time it had been dead. Still, she took the corpse as a warning sign. She tucked the pouch away in her pack, then turned back, and resumed her slow trek along the rill.

spoiler: show
Move Action: to F95, if nothing comes up first, looking and listening along the way.

Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Vlad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 am

With Hellsing scouting out the rill, Vlad led the others down the stairs. When it opened into a cavernous chamber, the swashbuckler resisted the urge to whistle in appreciation. Who knew what other examples of nature's caves and dwarven craftsmanship they would find when this was all over.

Vlad continued to move to the bottom of the stairs and eyed the stream.

"Think that is the same one that crossed earlier?"


To the fighter, it looked like there was a path on the other side, so it was entirely possible.

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action: Move to J90
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: everburning headband, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Orekk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Orekk nods to the swashbuckler, "Likely so. Likely so."

The dwarf continues quite slowly down the stairs, sensing carefully about the room. Though he's slowed some, he moves like a creature might in their natural surroundings. It becomes clear suddenly that it has naught to do with Orekk. The steps of the stairs are of course spaced conveniently for dwarven legs.

spoiler: show
Standard Actions: Maintain Detect Evil (sp). Moving 60ft cone from floor to ceiling. First east, then south then east again as they move.
Move: Follow Vlad.
Free: Speak.

Current AC: 23 (22 Flatfooted, 12 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Large Shield
Racial: Stonecunning (auto-search +2), +2 save vs poison, spells and spell-like effects
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider, Detect Evil
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 am

Day 14, 09:10 - The GlitterhameHellsing followed along the curving descent and she soon saw the light given off from the magically illuminated head band that Vlad wore.

The back of the large chamber had two openings heading in deeper into the caverns. One was straight away to the east and the over was just south of the first and took a turn to head south. Both appeared to to open up a bit at least, probably into rooms.

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider (Cast at 9:02am)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 4/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12232
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Glitterhame [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:23 am

Hellsing smiled as she saw the light. It meant she would join up with the others very soon, at least, she would if the terrain let them. She was still uncertain as to exactly what lay ahead, so she continued to walk slowly and carefully, pausing just as she reached the chamber openings.

She looked to the right, then to the left, then stepped forward a bit more, raising her hand to her companions.

“There you are.”

spoiler: show
Move Action: to I95, then Spot:

1d20+12=21

Then, if nothing presents itself, to J95.

Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Next

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron