Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Image Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:48 am

“Yes, I will keep watch while you deal with the bones. That is a very good idea, Orekk.”

Hellsing slipped away from the group and stood at the top of the stairs, looking down and listening intently, bow held at her side.

spoiler: show
Move Action: to O65.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Orekk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Orekk seems to concentrate, his eyes narrowing and scanning the room as Morrolan talks. The dwarf grunts positively a few times before turning his attention to the door.

With both Morrolan and Hellsing receptive to the cleric's plan, he draws his waraxe and shuffles quickly around the area... quicker than before. In a few short moments, he's removed and stowed the heads and fingers of all the skeletons.

Hooking his weapon back to his belt, he returns to stand beside the duskblade once more. He nods seriously and positions his casting hand at the ready.

spoiler: show
Standard Actions: Spam Detect Evil over the current room and through the northern door while people talk. Cut skulls and fingers from the skeletons.
Move: So much as necessary to collect bones.
Free: None.

Current AC: 23 (22 Flatfooted, 12 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Large Shield
Racial: Stonecunning (auto-search +2), +2 save vs poison, spells and spell-like effects
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:17 am

Day 14, 09:03 - The Mountain DoorYou all got ready for the door to be opened and waited for Orekk to finish collecting his trophies. During this time, the dwarf was not detecting any evil auras.

Morrolan opened the door and revealed a small 10ftx10ft room with no exits. Inside was the counterweight that was going to pull the door shut once more and reset the trap that Hellsing had disabled. There was piping in the chamber that lead along the ceiling in the direction of the large chamber you were standing in. Now that you looked carefully upwards, the piping ran into the ceiling itself and there were eight funnel like nozzles up there that were spaced out to cover the area within 15 feet of the door.

There were two copper drums designed to contain liquid connected to the piping.

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider (Cast at 9:02am)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 4/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12239
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:48 am

Vlad remained where he was at as the others moved about. He kept still so that the light from his illuminated headband could be useful to the others. The swashbuckler approved of Orekk's idea of taking apart the skeletons. THe last thing they needed was undead attacking them from behind.

With the door now open, Vlad looked in that direction and frowned. The chamber appeared to be a dead end, but well trapped.

"Huh, a trapped dead end? Or is it a rouse to keep invaders to trigger the trap? Seems to have worked from the looks of the skeletons either way."

Vlad moved closer to the doorway, but did not enter. He looked at the piping and the sprayers in the ceiling.

"Think there is a secret door in there?"

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action: move J65
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: lighted headband, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 am

Hellsing waited as Morrolan opened the door, and Orekk took care of the skeletons. She continued to keep watch down the stairs, but also tracked the conversation going on behind her.

“Interesting,” she murmured. “If someone will take my place on watch here, I will search in that room for another exit. It sounds like a most fiendish trap, one meant to catch the curious and thorough.”

She shook her head, mostly to herself.

“We are fortunate to have avoided it.”

spoiler: show
Move Action: stay put.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:19 am

Morrolan look a quick look over the items inside and nodded as Hellsing requested someone to take over watching the stairs.

His deep voice was low, "Aye, Lass. I can switch with you."

He moved away from the door and took up position with his illuminated headband and stood over the stairs going down.

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
Move to P66

Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion +1, PA -5/+10
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
Morrolan's Sheet
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12239
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 am

“Thank you.”

Hellsing moved away as Morrolan took her place, then stepped up to the door. Examining the tiny space before she entered it, Hellsing stepped in when she thought it was safe, and looked carefully for any hidden doors or secondary traps. But the trap on the door was probably as good of a deterrent as any, very insidious and clever.

She knew she had been fortunate to avoid it, more luck than true skill.

spoiler: show
to I64 first, Take 20 on a +12 Search, then G64, then G65, again taking 20 on a +12 Search.

Move Action: as above.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Vlad watched as Hellsing moved into the small room and checked it out. Perhaps that its sole purpose was to be a trap. That would make things easier as they wouldn’t have to watch their backs as they head down the stairs.

“Well, the dwarve’s that built this place were certainly being devious…”

The swashbuckler remained put, glancing at the elf and then back down the dark stairs.

spoiler: show
Free Action: remain in place from position in last post.
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: everburning torch in offhand, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:27 am

Day 14, 09:07 - The Mountain DoorHellsing's closer examination proved to be fruitless. At least there were no more traps, but there were no secret doors or hidden compartments either.

There was some liquid in the copper drums though.

The counter weight on the door forces it to close again, but Orekk was easily able to keep it open.

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider (Cast at 9:02am)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 4/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12239
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 am

“Nothing,” Hellsing said. She stepped out of the death closet and shook her head. “Let us close this door and be done with it.”

She walked forward and joined Morrolan at the stair, the paused as she thought of something.

“I wonder if the door we came in is lockable on this side. Should we lock it, before we head down?”

spoiler: show
to O65.

Move Action: as above.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Orekk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Orekk scans the walls, floor and ceiling of the small space and props the door open with one of the skulls. Careful not to disturb the copper drums, he steps in and inspects them and the pipes.

"Peculiar. Were there some way to use this, I'd say we try. I've no knowledge of alchemy or the like but we could perhaps bottle the contents." He shrugs and holds the door open for a moment for anyone else who may want a look. "Likely too dangerous tah worry about."

spoiler: show
Standard Actions: None
Move: Wedge door with skull. 5ft to H65. Auto-search stonework with Stonecunning. 5ft back to I65. (Not sure what skills to apply to determine what's in the drums.)
Free: Speak.

Current AC: 23 (22 Flatfooted, 12 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Large Shield
Racial: Stonecunning (auto-search +2), +2 save vs poison, spells and spell-like effects
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:08 pm

“What are you thinking, Orekk?”

In the pause, Hellsing walked over to the outer door and checked the lock. She was planning on locking it behind them if she could.

“Rig the trap to somehow spray or activate at our command? It might be tricky.” She pursed her lips. “My impression was that it might have been a trap rigged to set someone aflame. Perhaps the victim would be doused in oil and then lit with a spark.”

spoiler: show
back to Y65 to check the door, locking it if possible.

Move Action: as above.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Vlad frowned in disappointment as the elf and dwarf both didn't find any secret passages or whatnot. But it was better safer than sorry at the least.

The fighter shrugged his shoulders as the two discussed taking advantage of the trap.

"Maybe a tripware or something to the trigger mechanism? If you can find it?"

"I don't know. Orekk, you might be right. More trouble than it is worth."

Vlad patiently waited as they discussed the possible re-arming of the trap. Since there was one way down, he was worried about beings from below. But if some one came from outside and followed down after them. Well, they'd have to find the secret passage way that lead to this room to begin with.

spoiler: show
Free Action: remain in place from position in last post.
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: everburning torch in offhand, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 am

Morrolan shrugged and added, "If the trap was meant to get whoever stupidly opened the door to the dead-end… pun intended, heh, heh," he chuckled.

"Then these charred skeletons are the dumb orcs that got burned, heh, heh. Literally. I guess we can assume it was part of the dwarven fortress’s defenses and leave it at that, yeah."

The duskblade was also of the sentiment that it would be better to not bite off more trouble than they needed to chew. He glanced at Araella to see if she was skilled in alchemy.

With a shake of her head, Morrolan grunted to acknowledge she was not.

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion +1, PA -5/+10
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
Morrolan's Sheet
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12239
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Orekk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:21 am

With a well humored arch of his brow, Orekk listens to Morrolan's puns. Blinking deliberately, he answers Hellsing and Vlad. "Was imagining something more mobile than a trap. Bottling it. Throwing it like alchemical fire. But aye, likely too dangerous."

"Can maybe use it later... lead on."The dwarf retrieves the skull and casts a wary eye down the staircase.

spoiler: show
Standard Actions: Cast Detect Evil (sp)
Move: Retrieve and stow skull.
Free: Speak.

Current AC: 23 (22 Flatfooted, 12 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Large Shield
Racial: Stonecunning (auto-search +2), +2 save vs poison, spells and spell-like effects
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider, Detect Evil
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron