Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Image Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:07 am

Morrolan nodded, “Oh, Aye. Torches I do have, but there is one over there used by the orcs.”

“If there are stirges beyond, the smoke should keep them away and we need not fight them needlessly.”


As the scout opened the door to investigate, he went about lighting a torch just in case.

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion +1, PA -5/+10
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
Morrolan's Sheet
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 am

Day 14, 08:56 - The Mountain DoorWith the door open the light from the magically lit headbands shown into the grand stair chamber for about 10-15 feet. With her elven eyes, she could readily see the far end of the room.

Nothing came swarming towards the light, like moths to a flame. Pausing to listen, Hellsing did not hear the buzzing or flapping of stirges’ wings either. She could not see any movement up near the ceiling where they were last week either.

It would appear that the striges were gone.


Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect:

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:54 am

“Well, let me go take a look. I will try to spring any traps.”

Hellsing walked into the room. She walked slowly and carefully, looking and listening for the stirges still, though it was unlikely that the orcs had cast an illusion to hide them that could linger for so long.

She walked along the wall, the exact same path she had taken before, staying alert.

spoiler: show
Move Action: Full defensive. Walking against the left wall, move to N62, take 20 on a +12 Search of the barred opening. If nothing happens or nothing seems to have changed, keep going to I64, take 20 on a Search of that door.

Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Vlad watched Hellsing move throughout the room with the little bit of light from his headband. The swashbuckler waited as nothing came swooping down at them from the ceiling. But the elf wasn't done with her circuit of the room yet.

Vlad murmured quietly back to Morrolan. "Aye, right. We'll pick that torch up from the orcs when Hellsing has given the OK on the room. Better safer than sorry."

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: lighted headband, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:30 am

Day 14, 09:01 - The Mountain DoorCrossing the length of the Grand Stair chamber, Hellsing encountered no sign of the stirges. It would appear that they moved on to a new place of residence. The iron gate's rusted lock was still shut and the passage was blocked.

She reached the area where the charred skeletons still rested. They have not moved, nor did they sit up and attack the elven scout.

Getting close to the door, Hellsing examined it carefully and found there was indeed something off about the door. There was a trigger set to go off upon opening. She could not tell exactly what would happen from this side of the door, but she did see enough to make an attempt to disarm it though it looked like it might be difficult.

Trap | Show
Disable DC23, if failed by 5 or more, roll Reflex DC23

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect:

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:02 am

Hellsing checked over the door, frowned, then returned to the others.

Briefly, she explained the situation to them, and told them that she would try to disarm the trap, though it looked rather difficult. She told them to keep the door mostly closed, but for someone to watch her, in case something happened and she was struck down. However, the distance and the half-closed door should protect them from whatever happened.

Then she returned and worked at the mechanism of the trap. It was a tense few seconds, then she felt something give. Hellsing let out a sigh of relief and turned to give the watcher at the door a thumbs up signal.

spoiler: show
Disable Device - 1d20+10=26

Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Araella » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:41 am

The scholar is cautious as she moves into the room. Stirges go where there is food, so it is further evidence their cautiousness is without cause. But for the others to move in such a way warrants that something dangerous lies ahead.

"That trap must have been one set by the dwarves. For orcs to perish before it I doubt they had your skill Aoro. " she praises the scout as she approaches.

Her club is still held in hand as she moves through the shadowy chamber.


Combat Info | Show
Move Action: Double Move -> Q63
Standard Action:
Free Action: Talk

Current AC: 11 (15 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 39/ 39
Current Weapon in Hand: Club
Conditions in effect: Knowledge Devotion/ Collector of Stories = +3 Insight Bonus Atk/Dmg vs Arcana

Wand CLW: 25 charges
Ammo: 17 Arrows

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Lullaby, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Know Direction): 1/3
1st Level (Mage Armour, Silent Image, Grease, Feather Fall, Detect Good): 0/4
2nd Level (Calm Emotions, Glitterdust, Zone of Truth, Alter Self): 0/2

Bardic Music (Countersong /Fascinate/Inspire Courage +1/Inspire Competence): 0/5
*Heard +3 rounds
"Heroism. Sacrifice. You know, there aren't a lot of opportunities for women in this land, to show what they can do; to see the world, to be heroes."
Araella
User avatar
Araella
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Orekk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Orekk advances forward at Hellsing's gesture. He is silent, of tounge, but those present are all too familiar with the metallic scrape of his armor as he waddles towards the archer and the bard. As he does so, his eyes stray down the staircase, his hand is still poised for spellcraft.

His beard and hair are clean and well combed. Not singed and blood caked, as they were nigh on a week ago in this very hold. There is a readiness to him... a look as though many a contingency occupy his inner thoughts. As if the party were actually an extension of himself, limbs that he was only now becoming accustomed to probing with.

spoiler: show
Move: Walk to I65 via the right (east) side of the chamber.
Free:Spot Check down the stairs. (1d20+3=18)
Current AC: 23 (22 Flatfooted, 12 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Large Shield
Racial: Stonecunning (auto-search +2), +2 save vs poison, spells and spell-like effects
Conditions in Effect: None
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:56 am

Day 14, 09:02 - The Mountain DoorHellsing tinkered with the door and was able to disable the trigger that would spring the trap once the door were to open. She still is not sure what would happen, but the door itself was unlocked and safe to open.

Vlad and Morrolan accompany Araella as she moved into the chamber, the torch light rather redundant with the illuminating headbands.

Orekk looked down the stairs and they descended into the darkness and curved slightly to the left as he looked down them after about 50 feet. He could not see past the bend with limited range of his darkvision.

Trap | Show
Trap disarmed, 100XP each

Tactical Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       43/43 HP remaining;
Orekk:      47/47 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   42/42 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   47/47 HP remaining;
Araella:    39/39 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect:

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4; 3rd Level-> 3/3
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Orekk: Wand of Lesser Vigor (48 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: SLAs-> 5/5; Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6; 2nd Level-> 2/2
Araella Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 2/3; 1st Level-> 4/4; 2nd Level-> 3/3
Araella's Bardic Music (3 round duration): 5/5
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:50 pm

“What now?” Hellsing whispered to the others.

She gestured at the door, then at the stairs.

She spoke quietly out of habit even though the others made noise. Hellsing was not sure that it would really make much of a difference, but she still could not bring herself to raise her voice.

“This door is safe to open, though we do not know what lies beyond. Or we could try the stairs, since we are fairly sure that is where the orc went.”


spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: None.
Current AC: 25 AC (20 AC +1 Skirmish AC+4 full defensive) (21 Flatfooted, 20 Touch)
Current HP: 42/42 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Vlad moved in cautiously when Hellsing gave the all clear. He looked at the missing stirges, and wondered idly where the creatures had gone. Their disappearance might indicated another way outside, perhaps down the stairs into the darkness.

The swashbuckler glanced around and then stepped and picked up the dropped torch near the skeletons and stowing it.

"Well, logic to me would be explore the current level we are before heading down. So my suggestion is through the locked door...."

Vlad shrugged his shoulders. He was beginning to think the fleeing orc must have met her demise down below as there had been no evidence she had ventured back up.

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action: Move to L64, pick up and stow torch.
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 43/43,
Current Weapon in Hand: lighted headband, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:57 am

Morrolan nodded at Vlad’s recommendation, "Aye, he makes good sense. If we were hoping to catch that bitch that got away, I would want to go down the stairs right away. Today we have the time."

The duskblade moved to be in position to open the door once they were ready, gesturing for the elven scout to stand aside while he was in front.

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
Move to I64, switching places with Hellsing

Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion +1, PA -5/+10
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
Morrolan's Sheet
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Araella » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 am

Examining the situation, Araella states a concern for caution.

"It would be wise to watch our backs, lest something comes up the stairs. " she speaks calmly as she grips her club tightly..




Combat Info | Show
Move Action: Hold at Q63
Standard Action:
Free Action: Talk

Current AC: 11 (15 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 39/ 39
Current Weapon in Hand: Club
Conditions in effect:

Wand CLW: 25 charges
Ammo: 17 Arrows

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Lullaby, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Know Direction): 1/3
1st Level (Mage Armour, Silent Image, Grease, Feather Fall, Detect Good): 0/4
2nd Level (Calm Emotions, Glitterdust, Zone of Truth, Alter Self): 0/2

Bardic Music (Countersong /Fascinate/Inspire Courage +1/Inspire Competence): 0/5
*Heard +3 rounds
"Heroism. Sacrifice. You know, there aren't a lot of opportunities for women in this land, to show what they can do; to see the world, to be heroes."
Araella
User avatar
Araella
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Orekk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Orekk weaves a brief spell before speaking in a low voice so that only the companions can hear. "Who or whatever created that two headed monster this morning may be here. I'd very much like ta disassemble these skeletons here... in case they be used against us. We could stow the fingers and skulls or just smash em' up?" The dwarf shrugs the question at everyone, his brow knitted with worry.

He seems ready to tend to the skeletons, if given the okay from Morrolan.

spoiler: show
Standard: Cast Longstrider (1st level Domain)
Move: None
Free: Speak

For expedience, if Morrolan okays it, Orekk would like to remove the skulls and fingers of the skeletons, depositing them in the "dirty" pocket of his haversack. He'd then use Detect Evil (Sp) to see if he can sense anything evil beyond the door. He'd share his findings with the group, quietly.

Current AC: 23 (22 Flatfooted, 12 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Large Shield
Racial: Stonecunning (auto-search +2), +2 save vs poison, spells and spell-like effects
Conditions in Effect: Longstrider
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:19 am

Morrolan glanced over his shoulder at Araella as she mentioned keeping watch down the stairs.

His deep voice said, "Oh aye, that is a good suggestion. Hellsing, are you going to take care of that? Your eyes can see the farther down them, yes?"

Turning his attention to the skeletons he took a closer look at the aged bones and their charring from long ago.

He offered his opinion, "I know little about raising dead and necromancy. Dismembering the skeletons would help, you think? I do not mind smashing them up and tossing them into the chasm back that way."

Morrolan jerked his thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the far door.

Morrolan's Combat Information | Show
no change

Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion +1, PA -5/+10
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
Morrolan's Sheet
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PreviousNext

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest