Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Returning to the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:02 am

Five days later, 17:00: Blasingdell's The Griffin's Nest Inn & TavernYour lunch feast marks the beginning of an arduous trek back to the prosperous mining town. A journey that took longer than you would have liked, but it was thankfully boring and uneventful.

You dropped off the two commoners at their village a half of day's journey out from Blasingdell and ended up spending the night at the community's insistence. They wanted to celebrate the safe return of the two people they believed dead and treated you to a simple feast of hearty food and ale. It was not lavish, but from the commoners it was very significant. Despite your protests, you each were given a potion vial containing a liquid that will heal light injuries as well. The village militia and blacksmith willingly purchased some of the looted weapons and armor from the orcs too. So when you left the next morning, the bulk of your treasure was much less and you all were not so heavily laden.

You arrived Blasingdell around midday today and took care of the rest of the treasure from the orcs after lunch. A wizard was able to identify the properties of the unknown potion and the magical Morningstar. The unwanted mundane armor and weapons were sold off in short order.

Vlad was able to stop by and report the results of your orc hunting and turned over the ears. Not really sure what to do about the ogre ear, they just counted it with the rest as it was close enough. You all hoped the orc threat was finished for the time being, but the bounty would remain in place for at least a month yet. With the gold coins of the bounty in hand, the swashbuckler met up with the rest of you in the taproom of the Griffin's Nest before dinner.

Abutan had stated his desire to leave Blasingdell and not continue exploring the ancient dwarven fortress during the journey back from The Stone Tooth. He disappeared shortly after arriving in the town and booked passage with a caravan departing on the morrow. He collected his share of the treasure and bid his farewell after Vlad returned from visiting the Constable's office. The sorcerer had mentioned that he met someone during the day that he thought might be interested in joining the venture as his replacement. He suggested that she meet you all here at the inn for dinner to discuss.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12310
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Araella » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 am

Bhelle had arrived at the Griffin's Nest after talking with an arcane wielder. She had been waiting there since early afternoon for the people she was told of, reading a book to pass the time. Though the time was set for around dinner, she didnt want to risk not being able to recognize them in a crowd so went early.

She speaks to herself as she seems to reach a part in the book really enjoyable.

"Oh, isn't this amazing!? Its my favorite part! Here's where she meets Prince Charming, but wont realize that till chapter three!" marking her place she flips forward several pages to confirm exactly where. Smiling to herself with an inner satisfaction the girl returns to her reading immersed and not distracted by the fellow patrons of the tavern.

Combat Info | Show
Move Action: Turn page
Standard Action: None
Free Action: Speak

Current AC: 11 (15 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 39/ 39
Current Weapon in Hand: Book
Conditions in effect: None

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Lullaby, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Know Direction): 0/3
1st Level (Mage Armour, Silent Image, Grease, Feather Fall, Detect Good): 0/4
2nd Level (Calm Emotions, Glitterdust, Zone of Truth, Alter Self): 0/2
"Heroism. Sacrifice. You know, there aren't a lot of opportunities for women in this land, to show what they can do; to see the world, to be heroes."
Araella
User avatar
Araella
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Things had gone very smoothly on their return. Hellsing was especially glad to have reunited the former prisoners with their families and friends. The joyful looks on the villagers’ faces was reward enough, but she graciously accepted their gifts as well, after trying to politely defer.

Hellsing was saddened to see Abutan go, but she understood his desire to have perhaps a more stable existence. After getting the details about the possible replacement, she bade Abutan farewell.

She was looking forward to a tavern-cooked meal, and sleeping in a real bed for the night. She had grown up with such conveniences, unlike some of her wild elf cousins who slept under the stars every night and only cooked over a firepit.

She entered the tavern with the others, dressed in utilitarian leathers and a simple shirt layered under a vest and jacket. Her fine shirt of chain glimmered under her collar, and she wore a fine cloak over her ensemble. Hellsing was clearly an elf, but possessed less delicate features than some of her kin - her jaw was a little wider, her face not so delicately boned. She appeared more as a half-elf than a full blooded elf, like her bloodline was mixed with human blood many years ago.

Hellsing paused before moving toward a table.

“I wonder if the woman Abutan mentioned is here yet. Do you think that is her?”

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Vlad » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:35 am

Vlad was likewise pleased on how the return journey from the dwarven fortress had gone. They did not encountered anything that was of danger, and made it back to the first village with ease. The swashbuckler felt proud of him and the group that they were able to return the missing villagers. It did some to boost their confidence, and it was a good deed that the dark haired man could bank for karma.

At Blasingdell, Vlad was also happy to turn over the orc bounty. It was an extra bit of gold the group could use. Every little bit helped in the long run. Vlad though back to his roguish friend and wondered how he would have felt with the bounty.

The swashbuckler took Abutan's decision to leave the group in stride. He did not blame the sorcerer for his change in heart. THe near death experience in the fortress could do that to any man. All the swashbuckler could do is wish the man luck in his future endeavors. THe sorcerer also had the forth thought to recommend a possible replacement that he had encountered during the day. Vlad looked forward to meeting this person.

Vlad entered the Tavern after Hellsing and followed the elf to the table. The swashbuckler is of average height with shoulder length dark hair. A then mustache and goatee adorn his face, while blue eyes look out with a twinkle. A rapier dangles from Vlad's hip, while fine chainshirt pokes through his adventured cloths.

Vlad takes a seat at the table, and looks over the woman Hellsing indicated. The swashbuckler shrugs his shoulders. "Maybe. Only one way to find out."

With that, Vlad stands back up and strides over the lone woman at the table. "Eh, Hello there Madam. Would you happen to have met a certain sorcerer by the name of Abutan? He is a friend of me and my friends."
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Araella » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:19 am

Immersed in her book, the fair skinned brunette failed to notice the swashbuckler swagger over to her. It wasnt until after he had finished speaking that she began to realize he was there talking .

Araella looks up from her book. Leaving a finger in between the pages to save her place, she closes it lightly.
" Excuse me, You said something about a friend?!" pursing her lips she thinks about who she has met in this town that may cause a strange man to approach her, " Oh, could you be the friend the sorcerer was telling me about? ...what was his name; Abubu, Abatan, Abutini..." She trails off thinking, clinching her free hand into a fist out of frustration.

Releasing a sigh of her frustration, she regains her composure. "Ok," she says brushing stray hair from her forehead to behind her ear, " I am Araella. I ran into a sorcerer earlier who said his group needed another member. Like, he said to meet here, so is that who you are?"

Combat Info | Show
Move Action:
Standard Action: None
Free Action: Speak

Current AC: 11 (15 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 39/ 39
Current Weapon in Hand: Book
Conditions in effect: None

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Lullaby, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Know Direction): 0/3
1st Level (Mage Armour, Silent Image, Grease, Feather Fall, Detect Good): 0/4
2nd Level (Calm Emotions, Glitterdust, Zone of Truth, Alter Self): 0/2
"Heroism. Sacrifice. You know, there aren't a lot of opportunities for women in this land, to show what they can do; to see the world, to be heroes."
Araella
User avatar
Araella
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:28 pm

“Yes, it was Abutan,” Hellsing said. “He was our adventuring companion, but he has moved on to other ventures.”

She studied the woman, who had rich dark hair that spilled across her shoulders, and very fair skin. She was human, but she looked quite petite, a tiny thing with near-elven stature.

“My name is Hellsing,” she said. “I will let my companions introduce themselves as they will. As for my part, I am a huntswoman and scout, a wielder of bow and arrow.”

She paused.

“Will you tell of yourself?”

Her eyes flicked down to the book.

“What are you reading?”

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:00 am

Back at the Griffin's NestMorrolan arrives in the common room.

Having taken some time to refresh himself and stow his gear in the lock box of the tavern's guest room he is sharing, the large man clomped down the wooden stairs a bit later than the others. He is not wearing the breastplate, but has the studded leather armor underneath a loose jerkin to appear to be more comfortable. He is only carrying half his weapons too, just in case some ruckus breaks out in the inn. It would not be the first time trouble found them in an unlikely place.

Seeing the elven scout and the roguish dueler talking with another young woman, he approaches. His voice is a deep bass as he greets the attractive lass, "Hello, there."

"I am Morrolan e'Vargach, arcane warrior."


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Araella » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Standing, the woman gestures for the others to sit at her table before retaking her own seat.

" The book is a collection of stories. The one Im reading now is known as, A Daughters Rose" removing her finger, she places a small cloth to mark the page before placing the book into her bag, " Thats what I do, I collect stories. I wanted more than a provincial life. I had always read of adventure in that great wide somewhere and yearned to experience it more than I can tell. For once its nice to meet someone who understands." Glancing between the friends of Abutan, the fair maiden is cut off by another of their group..

"Its nice to meet you, Im Araella." smiling shyly she brushes hair behind her ear, even though its already there. " Did you know Abutan, too?" still mouthing Abutans name to herself as if trying to drill in the shape of the syllables, she stops herself and looks at the warrior with wide doe eyes.

Combat Info | Show
Move Action:
Standard Action: None
Free Action: Speak

Current AC: 11 (15 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 39/ 39
Current Weapon in Hand: None
Conditions in effect: None

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Lullaby, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Know Direction): 0/3
1st Level (Mage Armour, Silent Image, Grease, Feather Fall, Detect Good): 0/4
2nd Level (Calm Emotions, Glitterdust, Zone of Truth, Alter Self): 0/2
"Heroism. Sacrifice. You know, there aren't a lot of opportunities for women in this land, to show what they can do; to see the world, to be heroes."
Araella
User avatar
Araella
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Vlad » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:49 pm

"I am Vlad. Well met, Araella"

Vlad smiled as all but Orekk have joined them at the table of this potential new comer. The dwarf would be along shortly, the swashbuckler is sure.

"There is one more member of our group, but he hasn't arrived."

The dark haired man pulls a couple of empty chairs from another table so all them had places to sit. He then takes a seat of his own. He glanced at the covered of the book Araella had mentioned, and wonder idly at it's contents. THe man is well read, but hardly finds the time to read these days amongst the adventuring.

"So have you had any adventures that are worth writing about?"
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Orekk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 pm

There is a swell of excited voices from a corner table of dwarves. They clearly play at a game of some sort, as quick argument and bet placing can be heard. As the voices reach an urgent crescendo, Vlad sees a gauntleted hand raise a finger beckoning him to wait a moment.

With a hurrah of laughter, the game appears to end and Orekk rises from the table. He gives a shrug with a look that says, they can't all be gems, as he tosses a few coins down in good humor.

Stuffing his pipe and lighting it, the dwarf crosses the floor towards his group.

He wears recently cleaned full plate armor and a fine backpack of sorts. His thick white hair is combed into a soft mane that blends seamlessly into his beard, interrupted only by his ears. His physique cuts a squarish silhouette in the dimly lit pub as he tokes at a pipe, it's face glowing like a miniature forge as plume after plume of sweet smoke billows from it's smoldering contents.

Smiling at Vlad, he says, "Arrived a time ago, in fact. Early enough to lose some coin, leastwise." he laughs at this and takes a seat at the table. Leaning back to regard Araella, he says, "Greetings Araella, I'm Orekk. Orekk Kragsmere. Please don't let me interrupt."

The dwarf pleasantly bids her to continue as he waves a barmaid over and politely orders a round for everyone.
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:58 am

Back at the Griffin's NestMorrolan nods and takes a seat as it appears they have found the woman that the loner sorcerer mentioned to be of potential aid in their venture. With a round of drinks arriving, he feels it only polite to sit instead of keep standing.

Though, he was hesitant to bring up the purpose of their continued interest in returning to the Stone Tooth in such a public place.

"Aye, lass. We do know Abutan."

"After you answer Vlad's question, mayhap you could tell us if you have collected stories of this area and the environs."
He looks at Araella with a curious expression as it was not really clear why the sorcerer recommended the woman to join them.


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Araella » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 am

The fair faced woman smiles politely to the dwarf, tying not to be alarmed by his carefree demeanor. Answering the questions before her, she continues on:

" Every adventure is worth writing about. Even ones about the most mundane. Though my favorite stories are written down, those which I have been apart of are etched into my soul. They will be laid down with pen when I can no longer tell them outloud." With a slight glimmer in her eye she adds slyly, " Those stories are best told to an appreciating crowd."

"From this town, I may have come across something."
Leaning in close she lowers her voice.
"If you want what I know, take me with you. "

Leaning back now she eyes the group members, forcing a smirk on her face and crossing her arms stubbornly.

Combat Info | Show
Move Action:
Standard Action: None
Free Action: Speak; Knowledge Local (1d20+5=21)
[Bardic Knowledge would be +12 instead of +5]

Current AC: 11 (15 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 39/ 39
Current Weapon in Hand: None
Conditions in effect: None

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Lullaby, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Know Direction): 0/3
1st Level (Mage Armour, Silent Image, Grease, Feather Fall, Detect Good): 0/4
2nd Level (Calm Emotions, Glitterdust, Zone of Truth, Alter Self): 0/2
Last edited by Araella on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Heroism. Sacrifice. You know, there aren't a lot of opportunities for women in this land, to show what they can do; to see the world, to be heroes."
Araella
User avatar
Araella
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:42 am

Hellsing raised her brows.

She studied the young woman for a few moments, face stoic, then she smiled very slightly, almost to herself. Humans were amusing creatures, very ingenious really. They found a way to get things done when other, older races simply shrugged and said it couldn’t be done, to stolid and set in their ways to do otherwise. She liked the young woman’s spirit.

“That seems fair,” she said. She imagined a tiny person like this Araella had a hard time being taken seriously by others, especially experienced adventurers. “What other skills do you have, aside from collecting stories?”

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Araella » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Uncrossing her arms, the strange girl simply folds them again. This time however it is so that one hand is near her face tapping at her chin.

" The regular line up: chores, sweeping floors, polish and wax, do laundry and mop and shine up. Write a book or maybe two or three. Paint and knit and cook. Solve puzzles, shoot arrows, baking." A more querulous look takes Araellas face as she mutters, " Is baking the same as cooking..."

She resumes her litany as if without pause of thought.

"Paper mache. some ballet, and chess. Pottery and ventriloquy, candle-making. Sketching, climbing, dresses. Making lights appear. Just a little bit of everything, a jack of all trades if you will. "

She sits, still tapping her finger on her chin as if trying to think of anything else to share.

Combat Info | Show
Move Action:
Standard Action: None
Free Action: Speak

Current AC: 11 (15 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 39/ 39
Current Weapon in Hand: None
Conditions in effect: None

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Lullaby, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Know Direction): 0/3
1st Level (Mage Armour, Silent Image, Grease, Feather Fall, Detect Good): 0/4
2nd Level (Calm Emotions, Glitterdust, Zone of Truth, Alter Self): 0/2
"Heroism. Sacrifice. You know, there aren't a lot of opportunities for women in this land, to show what they can do; to see the world, to be heroes."
Araella
User avatar
Araella
Villager
Villager
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Re: Blasingdell [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:48 am

Back at the Griffin's NestMorrolan looks at Vlad with an arched eyebrow. His voice is low, "I am thinking we need a bit more to go on that 'something'. But, if she actually knows specifics then I would rather she not actually blabber them right here where anyone else can hear."

He smiles at the woman and replies, "I see that is quite a long list of... ah, skills. You are welcome to cooking with Orekk. I am not too partial to my own cooking and Vlad's leaves something to be desired as well."

"Shooting arrows and some magic or tricks would come in handy for sure. Are you able to fight orcs? We dealt with several of them this past week and can probably expect to meet more when we venture out again."


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 47/47 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: None

Current Conditions: Knowledge Devotion
Spells:
Spell like abilities: 5/5
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
2nd-level remaining: 3/3
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Next

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron