Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Image Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Orekk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:02 am

Orekk unlocks the door as soon as the woman says yes. He nods comfortingly to her exasperation and he seems patient as he ushers them out of the cage. "It's safe. So far as we can tell."

"As far as a reward, it's not necessary, but we'll certainly accept any aid she may offer. Now, speaking of aid, we have a good deal of armaments to take from this place. Would you feel strong enough to carry a bundle?" Orekk indicates the smaller bundles on the floor.

"Once we get some distance from this place, perhaps we can clean ourselves up and lunch?"
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 am

Once all the bundles were taken care of, Hellsing spent the rest of the time kicking around refuse and obscuring their tracks and other signs of how many of them there had been. She picked up the arrows, even the shattered ones.

The escapee probably had not gotten a clear look at all of them, so the effort was worth it, in her mind.

As Orekk continued to speak to the prisoners, Hellsing worked at her task.

spoiler: show
Survival to disguise the signs we left behind, of where we went and what we did - 1d20+9=24

Move Action: move around.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:18 am

Inside the mountainMorrolan observes the elven scout's activity and his face wrinkles in thought. He suggests, "Hmmm, while you be looking at altering the appearance of what went on, what about the bodies. After Vlad takes their ears, mayhap we should dump them all in the chasm."

"Otherwise who knows what vermin will be attracted to the stench of the dead."


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 24/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow

Current Conditions: 20ft Light Radius
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 3/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:30 am

Hellsing looked up.

“Oh, that is a good idea, Morrolan. I wonder how deep the chasm is. Once the webs dissipate, why don’t we go take a look? Bring a light, if you would. Even elven eyes may be insufficient to see to the bottom, if it is deep.”

She finished up the tasks, and then waited for the spell to end. Once it had, she nodded to Morrolan, walked up to the edge of the chasm, and looked down.

spoiler: show
Move Action: once the webs dissipate, to X28.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Vlad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Vlad watched as the man and woman in the cell clamor to be let out. He had finished the business of searching the dead female orcs, and did not come up with anything more exciting. He added the coins and spell pouches to the collection of loot.

“Aye, safe now, “ the swashbuckler says to help reinsure the woman as Orekk frees the two from the cell. The woman was understandable hysterical. But the man was calmer and understood more about the business. It was time to let these people out now that it was safe.

Vlad moves more to the center of the common room, and nods to Hellsing. “Yeah, I like that idea as well, Hellsing, “ the dark haired man voiced his opinion of how to dispose the orc bodies.

“Serves the blighters right too. Though, that big one in the back is going to take some work to haul up here to the chasm. “


As the web spell wears off, Vlad moves to the next set of bodies and searches them.

spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action: move to next set of dead orcs and search them, those near the rope bridge and such, W30
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 35/35,
Current Weapon in Hand: everburning torch in offhand, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:27 am

Day 4: 11:28am - In the Mountain DoorWhile waiting for the web spell to expire, you begin the process of moving bodies in preparation of dumping them into the chasm.

Image Image
Geradil tells the dwarf, "I think Courana and I could carry a little, particularly after we have had some lunch." The woman says nothing, but nods slightly in agreement. The two commoners do not offer to help as you loot and cut off ears from the orcs and casually discuss dumping them into the chasm.

The spell expires and you continue with your looting and stripping of the orcs.

Looking down into the chasm, most of you cannot see the bottom. Hellsing can with her elven vision and the bottom looks to be about 200 feet down and there is an underground river at the bottom. Looks to be perfect for body dumping.

Updated Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       27/35 HP remaining;
Orekk:      27/38 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   25/34 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   24/38 HP remaining;
Abutan:     19/21 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Mage Armor (Abutan)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 1/5; 2nd Level-> 1/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 1/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 3/6
Abutan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 4/6; 1st Level-> 3/7; 2nd Level-> 3/4
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12138
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

Hellsing returned to report her findings to the others. Since it was an unpleasant subject that the prisoners seemed not to want to discuss, she talked to the others privately, explaining the two hundred foot drop and the underground stream below.

“Either the bodies will flush out into the sea, if it is close enough, or get caught an underground cavern. Even if this is where the she-orc who fled is hiding, it will be a grim message to send. Otherwise, they will simply disappear.”

She looked over the bodies.

“This will go faster and will be less messy if we split into pairs. Let us finish with this unpleasant task.”

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:25 am

Inside the mountainMorrolan nods and reaches for the dead ogre, "I can pair with Vlad. Orekk, you team up with Abutan. Separate is strong ones, yeah? Hellsing, maybe you should keep an eye out."

"But first, let's get rid of the big bastard since it will take more than two of us... Hmm, anyone want to stick his head on a pike at the entrance? Might be good to ward away any blighters from trying to come in. It will be too late after we roll his arse into the chasm."


Either way, he keeps working dealing with the dead with the others.


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 24/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow

Current Conditions: 20ft Light Radius
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 3/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Vlad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 am

Vlad looks down at the big ogre now that they had dragged it to the chasm. The thickness of it's neck is like a tree trunk, and would probably take some work to slice through. It would indeed be a messy processes, but on the other hand, it would serve as a good deterrent as Morrolan had said.

"Well, If we have a weapon that can saw or chop thru the brutes neck, I'd say go for it."

The swashbucklers own rapier wouldn't obviously work, and so the dark haired man looks to Morrolan and Orekk.

"Orekk, what say you?"


With the free'd captives waiting by, Vlad begins pushing the orc's bodies over the edge. Each splash he hears brings a sense of satisfaction to the fighter.


spoiler: show
Free Action:
Move Action:
Standard Action:

Current AC: 20 (16ff / 14 touch)
Current HP: 35/35,
Current Weapon in Hand: everburning torch in offhand, rapier in main
Conditions in Effect:
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Orekk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Orekk takes his time helping with the collection of the bodies littered around this level. He concentrates on scanning every room with detect magic, even staring down the well for a few moments but leaving the stirge room alone.

As he stoically casts the bodies into the chasm, he gives each orc a small prayer.

The dwarf stands akimbo, listening to the talk of beheading Ulfe and finding a pike. Answering Vlad, he says "I've no interest in such a thing. Leaving little trace of what happened here, as Hellsing has done, will buy us more time. If we advertise Ulfe's death, his allies or enemies may investigate."

The dwarf goes back to kicking bodies over the edge,"This'll surely keep the smell down for our return."

spoiler: show
Actions: Concentrating on one of his detect magic spells to search the known areas, including the well, the bodies and the commoners for magic auras.

Disposing of the dead orcs, wolves, ogre.

Talking
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:54 am

“I agree with Orekk,” Hellsing said, with a shrug.

She glanced over her shoulder briefly, but kept watch as requested.

“Fear of the unknown is always greater than a fear that is known. To have their comrades disappear with little trace will be unsettling. Our means and motives will not be well-understood. This will cause them to be more uncertain of how to proceed immediately.”

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Anguis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Image

Having helped with what he could in assisting search and moving the bodies, the sorcerer stays quiet following his companions lead. At the insistence of the liberated captives for lunch, Abutan replies as if it struck a nerve.

" Listen." he states curtly "Not long ago you were given some rations. That was your meal for now. You do not want to eat any more with than what was given. Now, stretch out and just be ready to keep up when the time comes."

Shaking his head, Abutan turns his attention back to the maintenance of the dead. With the remaining corpses plunging into the darkness, he stares into the webs as if counting down to its expiration.




Combat Info. | Show
Move Action: Still Follow Morrolan
Standard Action: Still Assist Morrolan
Free Action: Speak
Character Sheet
Current AC: 13 (17 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 19/ 21
Current Weapon in Hand: Crossbow (Loaded) (+4; 1d8/19-20x2)
Conditions in effect: Mage Armour (4 hours(~230pm))

Spells Available:
Cantrips (Acid Splash, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Resistance): 4/6
1st Level (Mage Armour, Color Spray, Magic Missile): 3/7
2nd Level (Web): 3/4
Last edited by Anguis on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Characters:
- Serena Serpens
- Ivyn Dagehm

Storytelling:
- NWoD: Hunting Mortals (on hold)
- The Isle of Dread
User avatar
Anguis
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:57 am
Location: Pisa, Italy

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:30 am

Inside the mountainMorrolan shrugs and removes the ear from the ogre too.

"I know he is not an orc, but he was leading them. Bringing back his ear to Blasingdell will be proof that the leader of this band is dead too."

With a mighty effort, he pushes Ulfe over the edge. He continues with the others.

Once completed, he turns to Hellsing. "What about our climbing gear, lass? We need to send a runner to go collect that after we get out. Let us not forget."

"I think we are about ready to make the crossing."
Using the ropes to tie to the heavy bundles, he prepares for crossing the chasm.


Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 24/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow

Current Conditions: 20ft Light Radius
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 3/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:49 am

Day 4: 11:45am - In the Mountain DoorOrrek doesn't find any magical auras as he goes back through the rooms. The morningstar in Ulfe's chest and the potion vial you salvaged are magical though.

Image Image
Geradil replies to the mage, "I understand. But we are under fed and have been able to keep down the food you gave us an hour ago. We are still hungry... But if you wish to eat your lunch in front of us without sharing, I can understand that." The woman only glares, not understanding at all, but she will not argue with her rescuers.

You are able to tie the bulky bundles to the end of ropes so you can ferry them across the chasm without risking anyone being overloaded during the crossing.

Once on the other side, you strip the last orc and take his ear. Then you roll him into the chasm as well.

Both the secret doors Hellsing found are closed to conceal their hidden hallways behind.

Treasure | Show
I updated the treasury to reflect the two items being Magical.

1 x Chain Shirt
1 x Battleaxe
1 x Comp Longbow (+3 Str)
1 x dagger

Updated Map | Show
Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       27/35 HP remaining;
Orekk:      27/38 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   25/34 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   24/38 HP remaining;
Abutan:     19/21 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: Mage Armor (Abutan)

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->4/5; 1st Level-> 1/5; 2nd Level-> 1/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 1/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Orekk: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (39 charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 3/6
Abutan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 4/6; 1st Level-> 3/7; 2nd Level-> 3/4


Please provide grid coordinates as you move around.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12138
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:12 am

“Ah, yes, I had forgotten.”

Hellsing nodded to Morrolan.

“I will go fetch the climbing gear now. You all go ahead, and I will catch up.”

She meant to open the other secret door and poke her head inside when everyone had cleared the ledge. With her back to the prisoners, she glanced in the corner and met Morrolan’s eyes briefly, hoping he understood. Then she trotted back to the cavern where they had entered, then retrieved the rope and pitons, once more taking care to leave no trace that someone had been there.

spoiler: show
Move Action: None.
Standard Action: None.
Free Action: Talking.
Current AC: 20 AC (19 AC +1 Skirmish AC) (16 Flatfooted, 15 Touch)
Current HP: 25/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2).
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest