Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Image Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby PMiller » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:10 am

Day 4: Late Morning - Inside the mountainYou all are down in the chamber. So far you are undiscovered, but it remains to be seen how much longer that will last.

Orekk is able to don his platemail and you manage to tuck the dangling rope just up in the chimney so you can recover it again and it will probably go unnoticed.

Tactical Map | Show
** Please provide Grid Coordinates as you move **

Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       35/35 HP remaining;
Orekk:      38/38 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   34/34 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   38/38 HP remaining;
Abutan:     21/21 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: none

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 3/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6
Abutan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 7/7; 2nd Level-> 4/4


** Please provide Grid Coordinates as you move **
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12133
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:36 pm

“I’m going to check just ahead,” Hellsing whispered to the others. “It would behoove us to know what lies beyond this room.”

She crept forward, moving slowly, while the others sorted themselves out. Hellsing listened carefully, trying to tell if she heard signs of activity in the corridors ahead.

She paid particular attention to the light sources, or lack thereof.

spoiler: show
Take 10 on a +11 Move Silently Check.
Listen – Listen: 1D20+11 = [3]+11=14
Spot - Spot: 1D20+11 = [18]+11=29
Move Action: to Y46.
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 19 (15 Flatfooted, 14 Touch)
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2)
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 am

Inside the mountainMorrolan has the everburning torch sticking out of his backpack for illumination, but he turns to Vlad.

He says softly, "This magical light is not bad, but a sunrod is better. But if we have two of them we can be a bit separated. Do you want the other one? There is only us three," he gestures to himself, Vlad and Abutan, "that need the light."

"If there are orcs in here, they will be able to see use before we see them regardless."


He keeps in place, letting the magical torch illuminate the chamber, but shine directly out of the opening while Hellsing scouts ahead.

Combat Information | Show
Stay put

Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 38/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: nothing

Current Conditions:
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby PMiller » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 am

Day 4: Late Morning - Inside the mountainHellsing moves into the tunnel, the dim illumination from the chamber behind her providing enough light for her elven eyes to see normally.

The next chamber is a natural cave with carefully smoothed walls and floor. Wet stone gleams and she can see at least two exits, possible a few more to the far left and right if she were to move into the room farther. The exit leading from the far side is wider and has flat, finished walls of stone instead of the natural cavern walls where she hides.

The room is littered with smelly sleeping furs, loot, and rubbish.

Tactical Map | Show
** Please provide Grid Coordinates as you move **

Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       35/35 HP remaining;
Orekk:      38/38 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   34/34 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   38/38 HP remaining;
Abutan:     21/21 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: none

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 3/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6
Abutan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 7/7; 2nd Level-> 4/4


** Please provide Grid Coordinates as you move **
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12133
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Orekk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Orekk nods graciously as Morrolan helps him with his armor. Once suited he steps around the cold fire pit, whispering and nodding as he goes, "Aye, they'll see you before ya see them. Crack one of them sunsticks, n' they'll see ya even sooner!" The dwarf cranes his head left and right, looking past the heap of junk in the other room, but staying far enough away to let Hellsing scout.

Move: Walk to AA, 49
Free: Draw Waraxe, Spot check d20+3 (Invisible Castle seems to be down) - DM Edit Rolled 15+3=18
Move: Draw Shield

Initiative: +1
AC: 23 (12 Touch, 22 Flat-footed)
HP: 38 Current: 38
Fort: +7 Reflex: +2 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: +10ft to speed from Longstrider (1 Hour-ish remaining)
Current Weapon in Hand: Waraxe, Shield
Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic 2, Read Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink
1st level Spells: Longstrider (Domain)1/1, Detect Evil0/1, Magic Weapon0/1, Protection from Evil0/1, Shield of Faith0/1
2nd level Spells: Heat metal (Domain)0/1, Augury 1/1, Remove Paralysis0/1, Resist Energy0/1
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Abutan Y'ting » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 am

The sorcerer nods to Orekk and whispers as he passes by, "I'm blind as a foxbat as soon as I get away from this fire. I'm not sure we'll have a choice but to eventually light this place up."

He casts a look towards the duskblade to see what his next move is. Until something happens, he'd prefer to use the big man as a shield from any surprises. As he whispers the words, "Galdor Gearwe ", a faint blue glow shimmers into existence around his body before fading away.

Move Action: Stay put/stick near to Morrolan for now
Standard Action: Cast Mage Armour

Free Action: speak

Current AC: 13 (17 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 17/ 21
Current Weapon in Hand: MWK Light Crossbow--> Att. +4 / damage: 1d8 / Crit. 19 or 20(x2) / range: 80' / (P)

Conditions in effect: Mage Armour (4 hours)

Spells Cast Today:

0 Level: (6/day)



1st Level: (7/day)
~Mage Armour


2nd Level: (4/day)
User avatar
Abutan Y'ting
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 am

Hellsing crept forward, just a little bit further, hoping to get more of a sense of the chamber, and all of the exits coming from it. She also hoped to make sure that no one and nothing was present, though she thought that if no alarm had been sounded so far, there was no one to give it.

She peered around the corner, both ways.

spoiler: show
Take 10 on a +11 Move Silently Check.
Move Action: to W45.
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 19 (15 Flatfooted, 14 Touch)
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2)
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Vlad » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Now that everyone is down , and the rope concealed, Vlad draws his rapier. With Orekk back in his armored, the group is ready to move out and see what kind of nest they have stumbled into.

“One torch or two, I don’t think it matters much. The only way to remain unseen is to not use any at all, “ the dark haired swashbuckler replies. “Hand me the other, as I have a free hand.”

Taking the extra everburning torch from the duskblade, Vlad then cautiously moves to cover the passageway into the next chamber along with Orekk. Now they just needed to wait for Hellsing’s scouting to decide what lays beyond and what to do.

spoiler: show
Free Action:
standard action: take extra everburning torch
Move Action: Move to AA48


Current AC: 20 (16 Flat-footed / 14 Touch)
Current HP: 35/35 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand:bow in off hand, rapier
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:15 am

Inside the mountainMorrolan nods as Vlad mentions his thoughts on the subject.

He remarks, "Other than her scouting, we are going to be either heard or seen before we see any of them. Maybe we need to have a war council on how we are going to take apart this lair. We have the drop on them and we need to make the most of it."

"We probably need to do better than we did in final battle of taking care of those bastards hiding under the haunted mansion."


He steps behind Orekk and takes out his spiked chain as he waits to here the report from Hellsing.

Combat Information | Show
Move to AA50

Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 38/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: 20ft Light Radius
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 am

Day 4: Late Morning - Inside the mountainHellsing moves further into the chamber and gets better looks at the other two exits. The one to her right is a narrower passage that heads about 15-20 feet and turns more to the right.

The nearer left passage is blocked by crude wooden cage bars.

The finished 10-foot wide hallway continues for several feet and ends in a set of double doors.

Tactical Map | Show
** Please provide Grid Coordinates as you move **

Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       35/35 HP remaining;
Orekk:      38/38 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   34/34 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   38/38 HP remaining;
Abutan:     21/21 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: none

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 3/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6
Abutan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 7/7; 2nd Level-> 4/4


** Please provide Grid Coordinates as you move **
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12133
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 am

Hellsing crept back to the others.

In a quiet voice, she explained the layout of what she had seen so far, and the sightlines that she hadn’t been able to perceive yet, namely, the cage, and the bend in the corridor, and the finished tunnel beyond the chamber.

She drew a quick map against the sandy stone for the others, so they knew where everything was.

“I can explore further, but I might inadvertently step in someone’s sightline. What do the rest of you think? Should I go back and keep going? Or should we move as a group?”

spoiler: show
Take 10 on a +11 Move Silently Check.
Move Action: to Z48.
Standard Action:
Free Action:

Current AC: 19 (15 Flatfooted, 14 Touch)
Current HP: 34/34 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: +1 Composite Bow (+2)
Conditions in Effect: None.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:25 am

Inside the mountainMorrolan looks over the crude map and frowns in thought.

"Okay. From where we entered through the fissure, the trail leading up to the likely entrance of this lair is probably in the general direction of those double doors."

"We have sleeping chambers and a kitchen so far. Then tunnels that lead deeper into the lair."

"Maybe you should try to see if the cage is empty first. If there is an animal inside that will smell us, better to know if it will bark at our presence and alert the whole place if we do not want it to."

"Scouting is always good, but we should perhaps determine where we want to fight. For a defensible position, this kitchen is good if we do not plan on retreating."

"But the chamber out there with three to four exits would be a defender's nightmare as we could be easily surrounded or flanked."

"The advantage of ambushing them will only last until they hear us. And we are not very good at being quiet."

"We might be better served attacking them as fast as possible. We can maybe catch them unprepared and keeping rolling through their numbers of small groups as we sow confusion and chaos from inside."

Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 38/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Spiked Chain

Current Conditions: 20ft Light Radius
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Vlad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 pm

With torch now in hand, Vlad smiles and listens to Hellsing's report as she returns from scouting. Looking down at the crude map, the swashbuckler doesn't have any plans that readily come to mine. So he listens and consider what Morrolan's has to say. Staying at the kitchen might work as they can lure them back here to fight, but it also leaves their backs to the wall should something go wrong. But at the same time, venturing out, they could end up getting flanked or worse as well.

Vlad shrugs his shoulders and nodes once in Morrolan's, "Right, I was thinking the same thing. Hit fast and hard, and hope to catch them flat footed. If things get back, we can try and fall back here to hole up."

Looking down at the map, The dark haired man frowns. "Well, if that wide hallway leads with the double doors, and to the entrance, then it's probably a good bet the current occupants will have guards posted. So maybe we should try going down one of the other passageways, after checking out the cage. Maybe the less narrower passageway as it might have more room to move around?"

Vlad looks up and sees what the others have to say. He could the seconds ticking and wondered how much their luck will hold at remaining undiscovered.

spoiler: show
Free Action:
standard action:
Move Action:


Current AC: 20 (16 Flat-footed / 14 Touch)
Current HP: 35/35 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand:everburing torch in off hand, rapier
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Orekk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 pm

As he scrutinizes the crude scrawl of a map, Orekk seems agree with everyone's points and observations. He nods and indicates where the cage is supposed to be. He whispers, "I agree. We need to see what's what with that cage. May be guard dogs, prisoners or just empty. One of them other tunnels may be even more defensible than this kitchen. Anywhere there's doors, we have a chance to divide their numbers... for a time." He then points at what is supposed to be double doors. "Did ya happen ta see if the doors opened in or out, m'dear elf? We could wedge it shut with some of that trash over there if it opens in, or we could perhaps tie it closed with my rope if it opens out. Are there handles?"

The dwarf shoulders his shield and draws a scroll. Still whispering, he says, "Once we're committed to this, I will render us completely silent. Ya won't even be able to hear yer'selves within twenty paces o' me." He winks at Abutan. "Still be able to smell Morrolan, I'm afraid."

Move: Stow Shield
Free: Whisper
Move: Draw Scroll of Silence

Initiative: +1
AC: 20 (12 Touch, 19 Flat-footed)
HP: 38 Current: 38
Fort: +7 Reflex: +2 Will: +7
Conditions in Effect: +10ft to speed from Longstrider (1 Hour-ish remaining)
Current Weapon in Hand: Waraxe, Scroll
Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic 2, Read Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink
1st level Spells: Longstrider (Domain)1/1, Detect Evil0/1, Magic Weapon0/1, Protection from Evil0/1, Shield of Faith0/1
2nd level Spells: Heat metal (Domain)0/1, Augury 1/1, Remove Paralysis0/1, Resist Energy0/1
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Inside the Mountain Door [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

Hellsing looked at Orekk and nodded.

“There are handles, and the doors open outward. Your plan could work. I am sure they would be loath to burn the door underground, or destroy it, though eventually they probably would. But it would work for a time.”

She gestured at his scroll.

“How long will the silence last? I am ready, if we have gone over everything we wish to cover. Perhaps we should recap what our actions should be, once the silence is upon us.”
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Next

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest