To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Image Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:27 am

“Interesting. Not what we expected.”

Hellsing kept her voice down to a low whisper as she spoke, uncertain if sound would travel down the flue. She looked down at the fissure, nose wrinkling as she sniffed at the air. She tried to determine the type of smoke from scent alone, as a fireplace had a different aroma than the heavier, metallic smells of smoke from a forge, but it was just smoke to her.

She shook her head.

“So there is definitely someone or something down there. I wonder how many have come out here and discovered this, and thought to seek out an entrance because of it.”

She stepped back from the fissure to allow the others to inspect it, if they wanted. Hellsing re-adjusted her bow in her hand and looked around, her eyes narrowed.

“I wonder if they have someone on the surface, watching.”

spoiler: show
Knowledge Nature to determine type of smoke - 1d20+8=9
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Abutan Y'ting » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Abutan glances at Hellsing as she questions the groups privacy. His eyes scan the surrounding area and he involuntarily ducks as if trying to evade an invisible arrow. "Maybe we should scout the fissure out and head in sooner rather than later," the sorcerer says, suddenly feeling exposed. "If that's where we're heading anyway"



Move Action:
Standard Action:
Free Action: speak

Current AC: 13 (17 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 17/ 21
Current Weapon in Hand: MWK Light Crossbow--> Att. +4 / damage: 1d8 / Crit. 19 or 20(x2) / range: 80' / (P)

Conditions in effect:

Spells Cast Today:

0 Level: (6/day)



1st Level: (7/day)



2nd Level: (4/day)
User avatar
Abutan Y'ting
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 pm

In the Mountain ForestMorrolan crouches by the fissure as well and wonders if Hellsing smelled something in particular. He closes his own eyes and tries to let his nose evaluate the smells.

"It stands to reason the smoke could be from the inhabitants. But I can think of several explanations, and even a few that could be just natural occurrences. The dwarf's ancient forge, a furnace, a cooking fire, a dragon's fiery belch even. It could have been steam as well."

He holds his hand over the fissure to see if there is any heat felt rising up.

Combat Information | Show
Knowledge Nature (1d20+3=22)
Knowledge Dungeoneering (1d20+3=12)

Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 38/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow

Current Conditions:
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:31 am

Day 4: Late MorningLooking down, the fissure is more like a crack in the exposed rock of the mountain side and is a fairly wide hole. Completely natural. It is big enough that a medium sized humanoid can easily fit inside to climb down. A large sized might find trouble and get stuck.

You cannot see the bottom, mainly because it is not a straight shaft down.

Morrolan thinks there are smells of wood smoke.

Stone Tooth Area Map | Show
Note: North it to the top, and you at the red dot

Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       35/35 HP remaining;
Orekk:      38/38 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   34/34 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   38/38 HP remaining;
Abutan:     21/21 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: none

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 4/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6
Abutan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 7/7; 2nd Level-> 4/4
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 am

“Hmm,” Hellsing said.

She frowned down at the fissure again, lips pressed together.

“So what shall we do? Should we get out our climbing gear and attempt to head down? Or head up the trail and look around more first?”
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Vlad remains mostly silently as they finally find the source of the smoke from the other day. The three hour trek had done wonders to work out sore muscles from the previous days, and the swashbuckler is anxious for something to happen.

He takes his turn peering down the fissure. It was dark, and narrow, but passable it seemed.

"Well, if this some one's kitchen fire, we might be dropping in on them unexpectedly. Better than going in the front door, if there be orcs in the mountain. I say let's give it shot."

Vlad looks at Orekk and Morrolan, as they would be the two that would have problems in the narrow fissure. "Do you two think you could make it down, or is the risk of getting stuck too great?"
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Morrolan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 am

In the Mountain ForestMorrolan is big, but he is not that big.

"Heh, I am not an ogre, Vlad. I'll abmit climbing is not my strongest skill, particularly in armor. And perhaps stumpy legs here will have even more trouble with his platemail." He jerks a thumb at Orekk.

"But we will be vulnerable going down and we don't know what we will find. Orcs can see in the dark too, so we might not actually have the surprise we think we might have. But it sounds like a better idea than storming the gates of the fortress, that's for damned sure."

"You all want to toss the elven lass down the hole and see what happens?"
Morrolan gives Hellsing a shit-eating grin and then chuckles.

"Just kidding, lass. Don't look so cross."

Combat Information | Show
Current AC: 19 (16 Flatfooted, 13 Touch)
Current HP: 38/38 remaining
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow

Current Conditions:
Spells:
Cantrips remaining: 6/6
1st-level remaining: 6/6
Spell like abilities: 5/5
User avatar
Morrolan
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Saltmarsh

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 am

Hellsing laughed.

“I would think it better to toss you down instead, Morrolan. You would make more noise with all that armor and we would know definitively if foes were down there.”

She smirked, then turned back to the fissure.

“However, if we do decide to head down, I volunteer to be first. Perhaps I will be able to make the climb quietly enough and get an idea of what we will find before everyone else follows.”
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Orekk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 am

Orekk gives the fissure a cursory once over before producing his spent pipe from the day before. Reaching over, he sighs distractedly, staring at the fissure as he taps the forge-like bowl out on Morrolan's codpiece.

Still regarding the hole in the rock, the dwarf then produces a small cone of yellow incense from his haversack and places it in his pipe. Spending a good while knocking his flint and steel together, he hums a merry tune, glancing around at the surrounding cliffs and forest.

Finally, the incense lights. Orekk puffs and blows repeatedly while staring into the fissure and pacing back and forth. The incense's aroma is heady and sweet, with a back of the nose earthiness to it.

Suddenly, in one swift motion the dwarf falls into a cross legged position, his shield held in his lap like a saucer and his fist held to the sky!

He growls, his pipe clenched between his teeth, "Pelor! With Glitterhame as our goal, will this fissure make good passage!?" His words are punctuated by a sharp downward motion of his fist. There is a resonant, dull CLANG as he casts a handful of small carved vertebrae into the magic shield resting in his lap.

The squat dwarf curls both hands gently around the shield's rim and leans forward to scrutinize it's contents.

User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Vlad nods as Morrolan isn't perturbed with climbing down into the fissure. But then the dwarf's sudden movements and the his apparent spelling catch Vlad by surprised. He somewhat jumps at Orekk's outburst, but then narrows his eyes as he catches on quick to what the cleric is doing. Hopefully, Pelor will give the dwarf a satisfactory answer, but who knows as gods are fickle beings.

"Well, I think scouting is a good idea, Hellsing. Though we should have you go down with a rope, unless Orekk's advice is death."

Vlad looks to Morrolan and the others for the rope and climbing gear. He then turns and waits for Orekk to finish his divination.
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby PMiller » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 am

Day 4: Late MorningAfter the dwarven cleric consults Pelor he gets the sense...

Nothing.

Maybe it was the fickleness of the god, may be the nature of the divination. It appears to not be an exact thing.

Stone Tooth Area Map | Show
Note: North it to the top, and you at the red dot

Image

Combat Information | Show
Party Status:
Code: Select all
Vlad:       35/35 HP remaining;
Orekk:      38/38 HP remaining;
Hellsing:   34/34 HP remaining;
Morrolan:   38/38 HP remaining;
Abutan:     21/21 HP remaining;
Conditions in Effect: none

Orekk Spells Remaining:  Orisons->5/5; 1st Level-> 5/5; 2nd Level-> 3/4
Orekk Turned Undead: 5/5 per day remaining
Orekk Freedom of Movement Remaining: 4/4
Hellsing: Wand of Cure Light Wounds (2 Charges)
Morrolan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 6/6
Abutan Spells Remaining: Cantrips-> 6/6; 1st Level-> 7/7; 2nd Level-> 4/4
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
User avatar
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Orekk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:09 pm

"Ha!" Orekk laughs into his shield, pocketing the vertebral dice into one of his extradimensional spaces as he rises to a standing position. "Seems Pelor thinks we can figure this ourselves. Well, other than taking some time to enjoy this fine incense, I've got no better plan than to delve this here fissure. M'lady?" he says, gesturing politely for Hellsing to lead the way.
User avatar
Orekk
Adventurer
Adventurer
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 am

Hellsing nodded. She set her bow aside and slipped off her pack and quiver, then removed the climbing harness. She strapped it over her clothing, tugging on the individual straps to make certain it was secure. Then she grabbed her pack, quiver, and bow again.

Then she worked carefully at securing pitons in the cracks near the fissure, and attaching rope to the pitons.

“Everyone should put on their harnesses and get ready.”

She briefly demonstrated the technique they should use climb down.

“I’ll see what I can find first though.”

Hellsing lowered herself into the fissure.

spoiler: show
Climbing skill +8, +2 for climbing gear, take 10 for a total of 20.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
User avatar
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Abutan Y'ting » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:37 pm

The sorcerer, glancing over the edge and into the fissure, begins to fit himself into his climbing gear. It's pretty easy for him to slip into as he has no armour to get the straps caught up into. He speaks softly, as he doesn't want his voice to echo down and bounce of the stones of the fissure.

"I guess once Hellsing gets back up we'll have a pretty good idea of how to proceed. Perhaps we should discuss in what order we'll make our way down in the event she gives the all clear."


Abutan grins as he adds, "I'll take the middle spot."


Move Action:
Standard Action:
Free Action: speak

Current AC: 13 (17 w/Mage Armour)
Current HP: 17/ 21
Current Weapon in Hand: MWK Light Crossbow--> Att. +4 / damage: 1d8 / Crit. 19 or 20(x2) / range: 80' / (P)

Conditions in effect:

Spells Cast Today:

0 Level: (6/day)



1st Level: (7/day)



2nd Level: (4/day)
User avatar
Abutan Y'ting
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: To the Stone Tooth [IC]

Postby Vlad » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:21 am

Gods being fickle indeed, Vlad thinks to himself. The results of Orekk's divination are disappointing, but not really that surprising either. Vlad's opinion of the the divine beings is that the activities of mere mortals are usually below their attention. As it seems the case here. Or like the dwarf suggests, they are letting themselves figure it out.

Taking his own climbing harness, Vlad fits himself into with relative ease. Like Abutan, the swashbuckler is not wearing any armor as well that could get tangled up in the harness.

"I'll go next, once Hellsing gives the all clear, " Vlad volunteers. Without armor, he is nimble enough that if worse came to worse, he would be of some help. The dark haired man moves over to the edge of the fissure, watching the rope as the elf descends.
User avatar
Vlad
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests