Vlad has been lying low in a small hamlet inn while traveling South, running from his troubles; something to do with a jilted nobleman in the city of Cryllor in the Kingdom of Keoland. Vah Fuch, a like minded rogue aided him in his escape from the bounty hunters that were sent after him. While staying over at this small hamlet inn, they encountered a traveling bard, Morrolan, who convinced them that it was a good time in their life to be a little more productive; for their own good. Morrolan had been exploring the world in his goal of becoming a great warrior and learning more about his dragon heritage. Recently he has been seeking adventure in the company of a cleric, Taris Bellows. Vlad and Vah Fuch were swayed by the bard’s words and ideas and decided to try their hands at adventuring; hoping the career change will keep their heads out of the hangman’s noose. Having overheard these lengthy persuasions in the inn’s common room, another pair of adventuring types offered to also join company. Phoenix and Hellsing were also traveling in the southern part of the Kingdom of Keoland in search of adventure and decided that a larger adventuring group would help ensure survivability in the dangerous lands of the Flanaess.
Having heard of the dangers of the Dreadwood, the group continues east along the roads and trails along the southern edge, en route the coastal town of Saltmarsh in the Viscounty of Salinmoor. Morrolan has heard that it is a growing fishing town that promises to be good base of operations for aspiring adventurers being situated between the Dreadwood and the Hool Marshes. While staying at an inn in Gregor’s Junction, a small hamlet along the southern edge of the Dreadwood, they heard a rumor about a hamlet called Barrow’s Edge. The townsfolk of Barrow’s Edge are putting out a call for adventurers, requesting help and promising reward. The hamlet is sort of on the way to Saltmarsh, making a slight detour towards the edge of the Dreadwood.
Gregor’s Junction is a Hamlet, founded and run by Gregor Mindleson, acting as mayor. He also owns the inn, (Mindleson Inn) and a shipping company that his two sons run. He also owns half the general store as well. The hamlet has a Temple of Fharlanghn, a blacksmith, a general store, a tanner, a small open air market, the Rusty Plow Tavern, watchmen’s barracks with constable’s quarters, large stables (owned by Gregor), and shipping company office. The constable’s name is Nadale Firdorn. Gregor’s shipping company runs a caravan of sorts that transports goods between Saltmarsh, Burle, and Harnsburg (the next town West from Gregor’s Junction about 3 days journey.) Other traders’ caravan traveling the road from Harnsburg to Burle and Saltmarsh frequently use Gregor’s Junction as a stopover. The Keoish Army runs patrols that travel along the road also frequently stopping over as well.
Rumors to heard at the tavern:
1. Hunters have reported signs of goblin activity along the southern edge of the Dreadwood, east of Gregor’s Junction, this has been happening over the past several months, but so far no goblins have been seen near Gregor’s junction.
2. Jacob, a farmer, lost some livestock, but no one is sure what happened. He farms is SE of the hamlet, about 1-2 miles away.
3. Undead rise from the ancient and abandoned graveyards. They prey on unwary travelers at night. No further information can be substantiated.
4. Barrow’s Edge is probably exaggerating their problems, to try and get more subsidies from the Viscount of Salinmoor to increase their village coffers to help them continue to grow.
5. Evil wizards control the village elders in Barrow’s Edge.
6. There is a Temple of Pelor in Barrow’s Edge, but it is just a rural parish.
7. Barrow’s Edge also does some trade with people of Gregor’s Junction as well as the traveling Halfling caravan that frequents the roads of the Viscounty of Salinmoor. The Halflings sometime also stop in Gregor’s Junction.
8. A dwarven warrior, Rurik Redbeard, and his band are said to be around slaying monsters. He has been asking rewards from villages without any proof of actual threats or successes. He has been to Gregor’s Junction, but he hasn’t been seen for over a week now.
The mayor’s daughter had a necklace stolen, and the adventurers were suspected. Unable to actually prove anything the Constable asked them to leave anyway. The group stopped off at Jacob’s farm and investigated the livestock theft. They found a footprint, but not much other evidence. They continued on towards Barrow’s Edge. Along the way they helped a farmer with his cart and learned of a problem at the trader inn along their way. Upon arriving at Barcus’s Trader Inn, the gnome has asked for help with his problem concerning the undead beast the Garthulga.