Saltmarsh OOC Thread

Image Image ImageImageImage
Series of adventures set in Greyhawk's campaign setting. The adventurers are currency running through the ancient dwarven stronghold under the Stone Tooth.

Moderator: PMiller

Re: Saltmarsh OOC Thread

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:52 am

Yeah, null sweat on talking about it here. 8)

There were so many things in 3.5ed that I would have liked to try in more detail. The whole Tome of Battle stuff included. I did find that the range of balance in 3.5ed was wider than Pathfinder, so many of the things we could do in 3.5ed are not possible in Pathfinder.

I miss playing my Goliath, but have to admit that a greatsword for 3d6 damage is a bit over the top for 2nd level characters. ;)

The main reason I have never serious entertained converting the 3.5ed games here is because of the unique builds we have going that cannot be converted the same way if we went Pathfinder.

They now have a Swashbuckler class, so maybe Vlad could be converted now.

But the magus is not the same as a duskblade. They don’t have goliaths at all. Swift Hunter build is not possible. The draconic template is not possible. I am sure there are many more.

Btw, FrancisJohn. Search checks should be directed at a specific area or object. I think you were thinking in Pathfinder terms of a generic Perception check and that would actually be a Spot and Listen check here in 3.5edition.
:smt024
Playing & DMing: Anytime, anywhere.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Herzog » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 am

Despite the years of playing PBP, I really don't have that much experience when it comes to testing and playing builds. THe glacial pace of these games is years instead of weeks or days if one was playing around the table in person. So I can't really get nostalgic.

There are many builds I would like to try. Not sure how that would happen with the amount and type of games on the site now. It's a shame the Arena type games never got off the ground. Perhaps it is something that needs to be looked at? I don't know, they would take more time to run than a regular game.
GMing
The Black Company and Fallout
Herzog
Legend
Legend

Postby FrancisJohn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:53 am

Back in the 90's I played 2nd edition (with some Player's Option, haha). We didn't know the rules because high school kids don't care about the rules, but we certainly had immense fun. Then I took a long, long break (college, working, and other general adulting things).

My friend invited me to try online PbP in the beginning of 2014. It was a 3.5 game, and I've taken my character from 2-6 and the game is still ongoing. Vesuvio Monteverdi is a Tome of Battle warblade that is DEX/rapier based. If I minmaxed him I would overpower the party, but I have tons of fun playing him anyway. As my 'first' real character, he is nearest to my heart. That game actually has a similar feel to this game. I don't know if it's the long history/continuity, or just 3.5-ness, or just familiarity between the players/DM, but I've enjoyed playing Araella here too for that reason.

As far as what other 3.5 builds (that can't be replicated in PF) I would like to play:

Warblade - maxed out, two-handed weapon, concentration-based focused on all of the cool Diamond Mind stuff
Swordsage - Seems so much fun with all of the maneuvers you get
Beguiler - super sneaky caster seems rather intriguing
Wizard - completely optimized, broken beyond belief, nightmare for DMs

Everything else I'd want to play can be done in Pathfinder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as Araella is concerned, it was tricky at first to take a character over as opposed to build one from scratch. Thanks to PM for letting me have some leeway in the build, that helped to make it my own and get in her headspace a bit. I actually thought that getting choked out by the rug then zapping the dummy let me give her some 'character'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Search does not equal perception! Forgot that for a hot minute.... I'll go back and edit. It doesn't really matter, I was secretly just looking for an excuse to roll some dice. :P
FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby FrancisJohn » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:05 am

fwiw, I will be out of town until Monday. Posting would be minimal/light. Trip from New Jersey to see family in Virginia. Catch y'all on the flip side!
FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:46 pm

No worries, FJ. I will probably catch up this weekend myself with the holiday (Vet’s Day). But I have plenty to do. :mrgreen:
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby sirfinn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:17 pm

I will have poor internet access between 14-24th Nov. So postings my be delayed.
sirfinn
Legend
Legend

Postby Morrolan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Take care, mate.
Morrolan
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:41 am

Been busy and I will be playing catch up for a few days yet while family is visiting from out of country. With other activities going on, I might be slow to update until the end of the month.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby PMiller » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:49 pm

LOL, Hellsing, you are reading a bit too much from the picture about Idalla's appearance. You should probably roll Bluff for trying to deceive her and Sense Motive to detect falsehood from her.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:48 am

Hellsing is not trying to deceive the woman. She meant exactly what she said. She finds the circumstances suspicious and needs to verify the woman's story through further questioning. If the woman complies, there will be no immediate problem.

However, I will roll Sense Motive and add it to the post.
[url]Hellsing[/url]
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend

Postby PMiller » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 am

With an 8 in Sense Motive, Hellsing has no evidence to support false hood or trickery.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

Postby Aoro Hellsing » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Oh, FJ! That was totally not a scolding look or anything like that. That was a "I'm with you on not trusting this lady/feeling the need to poke holes in her story" look. I thought the "why don't you just leave" question was an excellent one. I'm so sorry that my post came off in any way as a rebuke of Araella. I truly did not mean it that way. I was actually thinking that it was great that we were on the same page!
[url]Hellsing[/url]
Aoro Hellsing
Legend
Legend

Postby FrancisJohn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:33 am

Hahahahaha no worries at all! It was a tense situation and cues are often missed in real life too.

It gave me a good chance to work on her personality a bit.... it's tough taking a character over mid-adventure and one that I initially didn't create (although the DM gave me good leeway to alter things).

I like giving characters flaws. Everything doesn't have to be peachy hunky dory between the characters.

I (and Araella) don't hold it against you or Hellsing. No worries!
FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby FrancisJohn » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:14 am

Araella has nothing to add, just waiting to see what happens next. :)
FrancisJohn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PMiller » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:38 am

Yeah, sorry. I figured you all were waiting on me. My Wednesdays are usually busy at night and if I am too busy during the day, then pretty much no posting gets done.
DM Workshop Notes
PMiller
Gaming Commander
Gaming Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Saltmarsh [3.5ed Greyhawk]