DM Obi-Wan Jacobi's House Rules (No Classes)

Have a link to a great gaming resource, like a map making program, online character sheet host, or SRD? Post it here! Please review available categories before making a new one. Everyone is welcome to post links; however, spam and inappropriate links will be deleted.

Moderators: PMiller, Mantis

DM Obi-Wan Jacobi's House Rules (No Classes)

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:40 am

This was a pet project I took on with a friend of mine. I wanted to make a somewhat simple version to not have classes. There is in actuallity 2 classes, Heroic & Non-Heroic.

1. There will be no classes. Instead, each talent (odd levels) and feat (even levels) is available at the appropriate times. Prestige class talents will have the same prerequisites as before and the prerequisites of the appropriate prestige class.
a. Each character starts with the Weapon Proficiency (Simple Weapons) feat and may choose 7 seven feats from the following list… Armor Proficiency, Weapon Proficiency, Skill Training, Force Sensitive (counts as 2), Linguist, Point Blank Shot, & Shake it Off. All prerequisites must be met in order to take the feat.
b. Characters start with a number of trained skills equal to their Intelligence modifier in addition to any skill training feats they take with their starting feats.
c. Starting HP equals 12 + Constitution Score. Each level up will increase a character’s health by 5 + Con Mod.
d. Starting Credits equals 3d4 x 250 credits. Unless of course the GM has something different in mind.
e. Characters will receive 3 bonus points that they can divide between their defense scores. This increases to 6 points at level 8 and 9 points at level 16. The highest bonus can never be greater than twice the next highest score. At level 1 if you decide to give 2 points to Reflex, then Fort or Will must have 1.
f. The number of Healing Surges that a character may take per day is equal to (5 + bonus points given to Fort + Con Mod). If I give 1 point to Fort and have a Con mod of 2, I have 8 total Healing Surges. Using your 2nd Wind spends a Healing Surge and may only be done once per encounter.
g. Starting Force Points per day…
i. Levels 1-5 = 2 + (half-heroic level)
ii. Levels 6-10 = 3 + (half-heroic level)
iii. Levels 11-15 = 4 + (half-heroic level)
iv. Levels 16 and up = 5 + (half-heroic level)

2. Skill Focus is reduced to +3. Skill Focus (Use the Force) now has a prerequisite of heroic level 6.
a. It will scale like feats do in D&D 4th edition.
b. +3 for levels 1-10
c. +5 for levels 11-15
d. +8 for levels 16 & up

3. Force Sensitivity must be taken as a starting feat. Upon taking a Force Training feat, characters automatically receive training in Use the Force.

4. All Force Techniques are now feats with prerequisites of a minimum heroic level of 8, the Force Sensitivity feat, and at least 1 Force Training feat.

5. All Force Secrets are now feats with prerequisites of a minimum heroic level of 14, the Force Sensitivity feat, and at least 2 Force Training feats.

6. Climb, Jump, and Swim are combined into 1 skill, Athletics. Each skill still keeps the same ability modifier, but training in one is training in all.

7. Prestige Class special features like the Gunslinger’s “Trusty Side Arm” or the Elite Trooper’s “Damage Reduction” or “Delay Damage” are now feats with the same prerequisites as the prestige class. Any prestige class feature with scaling level improvement now has the same feature but has 3 levels that scale.
a. 1 for Levels 8-12
b. 2 for Levels 13-17
c. 3 for Level 18 and up

8. Atoning may only be used at a rate of 1 Force Point per level. The point must be spent as the level is achieved and the time period of meditation and reflection is finished at the gaining of a new level. For example, if a level 4 character has 2 Dark Side Points, they must wait until they become level 5 to use a Force Point for atonement. The Dark Side Point is not removed until the character reaches level 6.

9. Dark Side Points are given out at the GM’s discretion however the suggested penalties are as follows…
a. Minor Transgression receives 1 DSP.
b. Moderate Transgression receives 2 DSPs.
c. Major Transgression receives 3 DSPs.

10. Any Force Power that scales in its effect continues to do so after the pattern set forth in the books. For example Battle Strike at DC 30 deals an additional 4d6 points of damage.

11. Force Thrust has been removed and is now included in Force Slam and Force Blast.

12. Vital Transfer now reads like this…
a. DC 15 – You spend a Healing Surge and grant the recipient HP as if it had spent a Healing Surge.
b. DC 20 – Add your Con mod to the restored health.
c. DC 25 – Also add 1d6
d. DC 30 – 2d6
e. DC 35 – 3d6

13. You may spend a Destiny Point to make a skill check as if you had rolled a natural 20 (this does not count as an automatic success, only as a total of 20; it does however allow a Force-User to regain all spent Force Powers).

14. Spending a Destiny Point for an attack roll will work as follows…
a. You may use a Destiny Point to automatically hit your opponent. Make an attack roll anyway. If you naturally hit your opponent, then it becomes a critical hit. If you miss, it is still a regular hit.

15. Withdraw is replaced by the Shift feature in D & D 4th Edition.

16. Movement is handled like in 4th Edition. Diagonals cost only 1 speed just like any straight movement and characters do not occupy the entire square.

17. New Talents
a. Battle Precognition (Sense Talent Tree)
i. You can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier for your bonus to Reflex Defense.
ii. Prerequisites: Precognition, Force Perception
b. Precognition (Sense Talent Tree)
i. You can now make a DC 25 Use the Force Check to avoid being surprised in combat. You are not considered flat-footed and can act normally during the first round of combat. You cannot take 10 on this check.
ii. Prerequisites: Force Perception

18. Hyperspace travel will follow this formula… 1d6 + (number of squares travelled) + (number of star systems passed by). This is used with a gridded map of the galaxy.
a. Refer to http://starwarsatlas.uw.hu/thelist.htm for maps and an index.

19. If a character uses block and the block roll is equal to the attack roll, a saber lock occurs (Jedi Academy Training Manual – pg. 33). The opposing combatants make opposing Initiative checks and the winner may make a free unarmed attack vs. the loser.
Last edited by Obi-Wan Jacobi on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby DM Sirine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:40 pm

I think I've said this before, but I love this method of character creation. SO flexible.
DM Sirine
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:41 pm

:D Thanks Sirine. I believe you did say that before, but as a man, my ego loves the attention :lol:

I really think it doesn't change the "crunch" of the game too much. It also allows for progress beyond level 20. Why put a limit on how powerful someone can get, especially with a concept like the Force?
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Torez » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 pm

What about Base Attack bonus? :?
Torez
Villager
Villager

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 pm

It all scales like a soldier and/or jedi. At a rate of 1 per level.
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:32 am

I just tweaked a few things to the original post.
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Aurian » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:15 am

I love the flexability this gives for creation and progression.
Aurian
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:09 am

Thanks Aurian. I felt like it kept the general flavor of Saga Edition and just allows people the freedom to customize as they see fit.
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Aurian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:21 am

Are you planning on running something with your modified system?
Aurian
Adventurer
Adventurer

Postby Obi-Wan Jacobi » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:42 am

Yes, I actually just set up a forum for it late last night/this morning. I'm hoping to see just how effective of a system it will be.
Obi-Wan Jacobi
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Return to Gamer Resources Information and Links