Supernatural - Chasing the Bad

These groups of hunters are out to save the world from the demons, devils, ghosts, spirits and the monsters found under the bed and in your closets. Although most of the world doesn’t know or believe in most fairy tales, these hunters are out to try to stop the things that go bump in the night from doing their evil deeds in the world as we know it. Some bonds have already been formed and others are still being built. But will they be able to survive from the dangerous things they hunt? Will they be able to trust one another enough to try and fight together? Or will they collapse under pressure? These hunters will face dark times and go down a long dark road. Will they find hope or loss at the end of their path or paths? Happiness or despair? Life or Death? Will they ever find Dex, the one hunter who may have already lost his life to the demons? Each of them must draw from their strengths and work together or they will finally meet and stare death in the eyes.

Moderator: DM Aberrant

Supernatural - Chasing the Bad

Postby Daemon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Bart gunned the throttle, pushing the pedal to the floor in his red 69 Camero. Andrew was in the back seat, bleeding all over the vinyl he had just cleaned after the damned Sherwood incident. And Chris was doing his best to not fall to pieces, getting that far off luck in his eyes, one suggesting something bad was coming.

Bart didn’t care, didn’t give one ounce of shit about Chris and his stupid visions. They could deal with it when they got Andrew to the fucking hospital. Andrew moaned something, as the engine revved loud, Chris leaning back to check on him. He had enough composure to at least to that.

“Shit Bart, Drew isn’t looking to good. Whatever the fuck that was, it tore him to ribbons. This wasn’t supposed to happen; I didn’t see this in Nashville. Bart, something’s wrong, something is off about all of this.” His voice whined, hands covered in Drew’s blood.

Bart couldn’t help but snort, his anger welling up at the entire situation. Slamming his fist into the dash, he pulled his gaze away from the highway and met Chris’s dark green eyes. Orbs shining with doubt, fear, and pity. Fuck him. “Doesn’t matter Chris. You get your mojo going, and you make sure that thing ain’t following us. You got me?” He said, not leaving room for the younger man to question him.

Man? Maybe in the eyes of the law, but Chris was really just a kid. A kid messed up in the grand daddy of all shit piles. The radio came on; dial spinning as it flared to life. Stations crackled on and off, music shifting and morphing genre’s.

Eyes back on the road, Bart could already feel the shit rising on the horizon. He had a knack for telling when it was about to get bad. Real bad. Drew was the brains, and he was down and out of it. Chris was losing his mind, blaming himself and about to send himself into a bout of visions, and all Bart could do was drive.

Eyes peeled on the road, he checked the rear view mirror, catching the flicker of light in it through his peripherals. There the bitch was, standing not three hundred feet behind them, smiling that damned smile. Only Chris’s scream saved them, Bart’s eyes flashing back to the road and the truck zooming to meet them in their lane.

Grabbing the wheel two handed, he hauled hard on it, sending the car off the road and onto it’s side. Bart was thrown from his seat and into Chris, Drew bouncing around in the back as steel crushed and glass shattered. It was all tumbling and falling, helpless like a doll Bart could only curse his thrice damned luck, and that she bitch that seemed to have something out for them.

The car came to a rest, Chirs and Drew both out of it. He could hear shallow breathing, the gentle rise and fall from Drew’s chest. Chris would be fine, a slight trickle of blood falling from his temple, eyes clouded over as a vision was surely taking him full on. Crawling from the wreck, his arm screaming in protests, Bart managed to get himself standing just as the woman came over the edge.

Her gown was red, torn to shit, and her skin shining with that glow. Blood trickled from her mouth and eyes, ears and nose. She walked and didn’t make a sound, didn’t leave a track or any evidence. Yet this wasn’t any ghost, she wasn’t bound anywhere, didn’t have a body. Salt didn’t do shit, and the church they had first run to had been laughably ineffective.

Reaching into his belt, pulling the colt revolved from his pants, he raised his shaky left hand with the smooth wooden grip in it, aiming down the sights at the creature. He knew how little it would do, how little it had done. But he had to do something. He wouldn’t just lay down and die, not with Drew and Chris counting on him. Not today, not ever.
…………………………………………..
This game will be run using the Cortex Rule system, more specifically the Supernatural rule set. For those of you unfamiliar with the Cortex system, it is the same set of rules used for the Battle star Galactica RPG and the Serenity/Firefly RPG.

The system is pretty easy to pick up, and I can make a copy of the pdf available to all of those who wish.

If you are familiar with the show, then you don’t need to be told what the game will be like. If not, then this is for you. The world in which supernatural resides is much like our own, populated with people much like ourselves. Yet the thing that goes bump in the night in supernatural, isn’t just a house cat. It’s a creature born two hundred years ago, that only eats human flesh and is immune to all but the most powerful of weapons. It’s your job as hunters to stop these creatures before they can harm the rest of humanity.

The life of a hunter is a hard one, one filled with pain, suffering, and worst of all no pay. As a hunter, you fend for yourself and perhaps a few stalwart allies, relying on skill, planning and most of all guts and luck. This game will represent that, through a good mixture of adventure, horror and drama.
As per the style of the game, it will obviously be leaning towards the mature. Be forewarned, the creatures encountered here are not for the faint of heart or mind, so if you’re not looking for descriptive language or violent scenes, then perhaps this is not the game for you.

The above excerpt doesn’t really pertain to the game, more then to show you what the setting is like. I intend to craft most of it around the players and their motives, using some generic baddies at first, but then getting into more player tailored stuff as time goes on.

The level of character creation is Rookie, as per the rules, and from this I want you to all make green hunters. That isn’t to say this is your first time confronting the big bad, but your experience is limited to only a few encounters.

What I am looking for in applications are a few things
Name, Age, Physical description , which are a given. I’d also like to see a reason for your being a hunter. This will take the place of a long and detailed background, since much of the game is built around the here and now. Why do you hunt ghosts and ghouls? What drives you? When did you realize you weren’t alone and that spooks and specters were real?

I’d also like for you pick your assets and complications and give a good explanation of them. How will they manifest themselves? How did they come about? Was your character born that way, or is it a product of a rough childhood?

Lastly, I’d like a simple description of your character overall. Something like “Naïve college grad” or “Tough Ex Cop”. Just a simple explanation of your overall concept. Here, if you would like to include a short rp example, or a quote it couldn’t hurt.

Overall, I am looking for 2-4 players. No more, no Less. I could be persuaded to take 5 if the applications are outstanding, or just mesh really well together.

Gear is up for grabs, pick what makes sense. Although not everyone should have a vehicle, since having just one is a bit of the flair for the game.

So, let’s see those applications/interest!
"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" Han Solo
Daemon

Postby DM Angel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Totally into this D.

I don't know the Supernatural show, so I'm going by what you've already explained.

But, I know the cortex system quite well, and I believe it will really fit in with your style of DMing. So pending on you getting 4 characters you're inspiried by, this would be a fantastic game.

So I'd like to say I will definitely make a character audition. But can I get the rules off you first so I can glance over a few things like the complications and traits? And the source material?

****EDIT****

Never mind. Got it
DM Angel

Postby Adrian Remes » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 am

WOW.

This is seriously some of the best writing I've seen from you, D. I'm really impressed. You not only nail the feel of the show, you create such a strong character voice and really ground us in the moment and the reality of these people. It's just a brief vignette, but it evokes the heart of the TV show itself, and that's the relationship between the characters, and their own personal growth.

Anyway, good stuff.

I am really, really, really really, really busy. But I'm also very seriously tempted by this, because it's you, and it's Supernatural, which is one of my favorite shows.

I've had a character in mind for a little while now. It needs more work and polishing, obviously, but this is the basic premise -

This is a guy who was possessed by a demon and while under possession, did some sort of crime. He was arrested after the demon released him.

The thing is, he vaugely remembers the crime, but doesn't know why he had done it and is haunted by that. He went to jail and served out his sentence, but in jail someone told him about demons and such. Perhaps it was an incarcerated Hunter. He latched on to that, wanting to believe because he doesn't want to think he's criminally insane, though part of him wonders if he's insane for believing it.

Now that he's out he wants to hunt the thing that possessed him, both to prove to himself that he didn't really do the crime. Prison made him pretty hard, I think. I'm going for kind of a bitter young loner, but with the potential to be a leader.
Adrian Remes
Callsign: Shepherd

Postby Daemon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:55 am

Well, that makes interest at 3 people so far, since I received a pm from someone, which is more then enough to do a supernatural game.

I'd say the key thing here is to make characters that flow and work together, that mesh and have a reason for staying together. Once you do that, slaying demons and vanquishing ghosts should be cake!

Well, maybe.

And thank you for the compliments. I really enjoy the system and show, so it means a lot that some people enjoy the work I put into it.
"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" Han Solo
Daemon

Postby DM Angel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 pm

Looks like we're all becoming quite linked.

As for a driver, I'm happy to mod my char out a bit so that I handle that responsibilty. The more I think about it... The more I think about the appropriate car... The more I might really want that responsibilty. Heh.

D, where abouts are you thinking we will start?
DM Angel

Postby Caleb Murdock » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:20 am

This looks like it could be a really intriguing game! I'd love to read the pdf before putting an application together. Is there a link online where I can download it?
Caleb Murdock
Callsign: Skunk

Postby Daemon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:30 am

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z4DDFIKL

There it is. I think we still have some room Caleb, and some needs within the group that need to be filled. The system is almost identical to BSG, just that the traits and such are a little more suited to magic, etc, then space combat.

As per where the group is starting, I am pretty sure your going to be somewhere on the East Coast. I am thinking right no in North Carolina, but I am not positive.
Daemon

Postby Caleb Murdock » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks very much for the file. I'll read it and get in an app soon.
Caleb Murdock

Postby Wolf Pleiades » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:22 am

Looks like you've got your four people already.

I wonder if you could use somebody in a standby/backup slot in case one of the others drop out.
Wolf Pleiades
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Postby Ashley » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 am

Angel & Caleb - I am working on my background right now. I am not sure how you would like to tie in to it though. If you have any ideas, please let send me a PM. I am not sure if Wolf will be joining us or not. But if he is, I'll send him my background also to kind of get an idea of what we are all like and how we tie in with each other.

I can send you my background once I have it more fleshed out. Adrian & I already have some things worked out. It's just a matter of me getting it in the background now.
Ashley
Legend
Legend

Postby Dex Travers » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Adrian here.

This is my character's name. I just need to get an appropriate avatar.

A brief note on the ties between our characters - it looks like Dex and Ashley will have known each other in high school, but will have lost contact after that and haven't talked to each other for several years. Dex would look Ashley up, however, and Kerri will probably come along for that.

Dex and Kerri know each other from their very beginning forays into Hunting. They were hunting the same creature and had to team up to get out of a sticky situation. They have been working together ever since (not very long, I'm thinking a few months at the most).

I think not every character needs to know every other character, as long as we can link us with a six degrees of Kevin Bacon thing and not have it be too coincidental.
Dex Travers
Hero
Hero

Postby Daemon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Yah, I can take you as well wolf. Five however is my limit, as that is the max amount of people who can fit in a car lol. Unless you want to van it up ala scooby doo?

Also, everyone is already going to be together at the start and have been with each other for at least a month, so as to avoid no awkward introductions and beginning lag.

The game will be starting in Asheville North Carolina, the group coming here after the area has suffered seven accidental deaths over the past two months, all within a one mile radius of each other.
Daemon

Postby Dex Travers » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Heh, well, though an American muscle car would be appropriate for the milieu, it's a little cramped for 5 people plus gear, plus bags and personal belongings. It's possible of course, especially for a short trip. But entirely impractical for people who are traveling together continually over a period of months.

We would have to have a van of some kind, or take separate vehicles. The benefit of having a van is that all of us would be in the same space and have scenes together, talk freely, etc. However, it's not as "cool".

The benefit of taking separate vehicles is that we can have a couple of cool cars or whatnot.

Since we're supposed to have been together for at least a month, I think it should be a group decision.
Dex Travers
Hero
Hero

Postby Caleb Murdock » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Wow. A lot of posts in the past few hours! I'm putting the finishing touches on my character, but I thought it would be a good idea to touch base and see what sorts of ideas everyone else is fleshing out. I know we have a driver, and an ex con, but I don't erlaly know much else about them than this.

As for background tie-ins, I could look into that once I've dotted my I's and crossed my T's in my basic creation process. If you send me your background/s, I'll see what I can come up with.

Cars! I was already planning on having my character own a ride of his/her own (an old pick-up truck). I think that limiting our 5-person team to one vehicle would be a big mistake. Few vehicles would have enough space for all of us and our equipment.

A brief overview of my character concept is a washed-up SWAT member turned detective. More to come!
Caleb Murdock

Postby Kerri O'Sullivan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Angel here.

Kerri O'Sullivan is an illegal immigrant from Ireland. She fled the country because of something that destroyed her life there.

I would personally think two cars is much more likely. If we did the running order of meetings being Kerri met Dex, who wanted to eventually meet up with Ash, then they would obviously have some means of transport at that point.

Then, whatever way we want to link thos three characters with Wolf and Bretts new characters, means that when we meet Brett, he has a car too. Maybe Brett and Wolf ran into each other, knew each other before this? Then it wouldn't be a one knows one who knows one who knows one kinda thing. It would be two groups who have decided they serve a better purpose by joining up?

That solves the pick-up and muscle car issue, seeing as we have both. And it means that we only need to work out two more joints. The meeting of Caleb and Wolf, and the meeting of the two groups?
Kerri O'Sullivan
Villager
Villager

Next

Return to Supernatural: Chasing the Bad ~ DM Aberrant